[ANN] Cowboy 2.0.0-rc.1

Loïc Hoguin-3
Hello!

Cowboy 2.0.0-rc.1 has been released!

   https://ninenines.eu/articles/cowboy-2.0.0-rc.1/

Full details in the migration guide:

   https://ninenines.eu/docs/en/cowboy/2.0/guide/migrating_from_1.0/

Enjoy!

--
Loïc Hoguin
https://ninenines.eu

Re: [ANN] Cowboy 2.0.0-rc.1

Marc Worrell
Hi Loïc,

Congratulations with this big milestone!
Looking forward to try it in the Zotonic pre-1.0.

Cheers, Marc

> On 24 Jul 2017, at 17:27, Loïc Hoguin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello!
>
> Cowboy 2.0.0-rc.1 has been released!
>
>  https://ninenines.eu/articles/cowboy-2.0.0-rc.1/
>
> Full details in the migration guide:
>
>  https://ninenines.eu/docs/en/cowboy/2.0/guide/migrating_from_1.0/
>
> Enjoy!
>
> --
> Loïc Hoguin
> https://ninenines.eu

Re: [ANN] Cowboy 2.0.0-rc.1

Leo Liu-2
On 2017-07-24 17:27 +0200, Loïc Hoguin wrote:
> Cowboy 2.0.0-rc.1 has been released!
>
>   https://ninenines.eu/articles/cowboy-2.0.0-rc.1/
>
> Full details in the migration guide:
>
>   https://ninenines.eu/docs/en/cowboy/2.0/guide/migrating_from_1.0/
>
> Enjoy!

👍

Re: [ANN] Cowboy 2.0.0-rc.1

Max Lapshin-2
Hi.

Recommended for production?

Do you think that we should await any performance/latency changes from cowboy 1 to 2 on 2-4 RPS, about 10 Gbit/s per server?

Re: [ANN] Cowboy 2.0.0-rc.1

Loïc Hoguin-3
Hello,

Some people already use it in production without problems. Your mileage
may vary.

The performance/latency should be the same on the stream handler level
(low level interface), but by default Cowboy 2.0 creates a new process
per request and therefore there will be some performance loss due to the
communication between the processes.

There is more than one process per connection now because HTTP/2 streams
(request/response pairs) must execute concurrently. But nothing prevents
you from making your own interface that only uses one process per
connection, just make sure not to block.

Cheers,

On 07/25/2017 06:29 PM, Max Lapshin wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Recommended for production?
>
> Do you think that we should await any performance/latency changes from
> cowboy 1 to 2 on 2-4 RPS, about 10 Gbit/s per server?

Loïc Hoguin
https://ninenines.eu

Re: [ANN] Cowboy 2.0.0-rc.1

pablo platt-3
Does Cowboy 2.0 use process per Websocket packet?
Does this means that it's better to stay with Cowboy 1.x for a server that use only Websockets?

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 7:53 PM, Loïc Hoguin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

The Websocket handler takes over the connection process so it'll become
1 process per connection after the upgrade to Websocket.

On 07/26/2017 06:20 PM, pablo platt wrote:

> Does Cowboy 2.0 use process per Websocket packet?
> Does this means that it's better to stay with Cowboy 1.x for a server
> that use only Websockets?
>
> On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 7:53 PM, Loïc Hoguin <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     Some people already use it in production without problems. Your
>     mileage may vary.
>
>     The performance/latency should be the same on the stream handler
>     level (low level interface), but by default Cowboy 2.0 creates a new
>     process per request and therefore there will be some performance
>     loss due to the communication between the processes.
>
>     There is more than one process per connection now because HTTP/2
>     streams (request/response pairs) must execute concurrently. But
>     nothing prevents you from making your own interface that only uses
>     one process per connection, just make sure not to block.
>
>     Cheers,
>

>     On 07/25/2017 06:29 PM, Max Lapshin wrote:
>
>         Hi.
>
>         Recommended for production?
>
>         Do you think that we should await any performance/latency
>         changes from cowboy 1 to 2 on 2-4 RPS, about 10 Gbit/s per server?

>     --
>     Loïc Hoguin
>     https://ninenines.eu

Loïc Hoguin