ANN: Designing for Scalability with Erlang/OTP by O'Reilly

123

ANN: Designing for Scalability with Erlang/OTP by O'Reilly

Francesco Mazzoli-2
Hi all,

a shameless plug. Steve Vinoski and I are working on a book focused on
distributed, scalable systems with OTP. It is available from O'Reilly as
an Early Release from their website. The first eight chapters we
released cover (in great detail) all other behaviours. We started
writing, and before we knew it, we had several hundred pages on
behaviours alone. Last week, two new chapters, including the
Introduction & Special processes and Implementing your own behaviours
were released. We are now focusing on release handling (hgg), code
upgrade and architectural patterns.

What is available is an unedited draft, with new chapters and
improvements published as they become available. You can find more info
here:

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920024149.do?intcmp=il-prog-books-videos-product-intsrch_erlang_ct

If you use discount code authd, you will get 50% off the Early Release,
and 40% on pre-orders of the the printed copy.

Looking forward to your feedback,

Erlang Solutions Ltd.
http://www.erlang-solutions.com

ANN: Designing for Scalability with Erlang/OTP by O'Reilly

Lee Sylvester
Well, that?s another book to add to my shelf :-)  Looking forward to it.

Lee

On 8 Jul 2014, at 16:05, Francesco Cesarini <francesco> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> a shameless plug. Steve Vinoski and I are working on a book focused on distributed, scalable systems with OTP. It is available from O'Reilly as an Early Release from their website. The first eight chapters we released cover (in great detail) all other behaviours. We started writing, and before we knew it, we had several hundred pages on behaviours alone. Last week, two new chapters, including the Introduction & Special processes and Implementing your own behaviours were released. We are now focusing on release handling (hgg), code upgrade and architectural patterns.
>
> What is available is an unedited draft, with new chapters and improvements published as they become available. You can find more info here:
>
> http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920024149.do?intcmp=il-prog-books-videos-product-intsrch_erlang_ct
>
> If you use discount code authd, you will get 50% off the Early Release, and 40% on pre-orders of the the printed copy.
>
> Looking forward to your feedback,

> Erlang Solutions Ltd.
> http://www.erlang-solutions.com

ANN: Designing for Scalability with Erlang/OTP by O'Reilly

Miles Fidelman-2
<francesco> wrote:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> a shameless plug. Steve Vinoski and I are working on a book focused on distributed, scalable systems with OTP. It is available from O'Reilly as an Early Release from their website. The first eight chapters we released cover (in great detail) all other behaviours. We started writing, and before we knew it, we had several hundred pages on behaviours alone. Last week, two new chapters, including the Introduction & Special processes and Implementing your own behaviours were released. We are now focusing on release handling (hgg), code upgrade and architectural patterns.
>>
>> What is available is an unedited draft, with new chapters and improvements published as they become available. You can find more info here:
>>
>> http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920024149.do?intcmp=il-prog-books-videos-product-intsrch_erlang_ct
>>
>> If you use discount code authd, you will get 50% off the Early Release, and 40% on pre-orders of the the printed copy.
>>
>> Looking forward to your feedback,

Not for nothing, but $50 for the undedited work-in-progress seems a bit
steep (and yes, I saw the discount code).  I also note that "rough cuts"
aren't included in my Safari subscription.

Usual practice that I've seen is for works-in-progress to be free, with
tools that support comments from early readers.

Sounds interesting - but, from the TOC (all that's available without
paying), it sure looks like it covers the same ground as "Erlang and OTP
in Action."

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.   .... Yogi Berra

ANN: Designing for Scalability with Erlang/OTP by O'Reilly - slight addition

Miles Fidelman-2
Miles Fidelman wrote:

> On 8 Jul 2014, at 16:05, Francesco Cesarini
> <francesco> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> a shameless plug. Steve Vinoski and I are working on a book focused
>>> on distributed, scalable systems with OTP. It is available from
>>> O'Reilly as an Early Release from their website. The first eight
>>> chapters we released cover (in great detail) all other behaviours.
>>> We started writing, and before we knew it, we had several hundred
>>> pages on behaviours alone. Last week, two new chapters, including
>>> the Introduction & Special processes and Implementing your own
>>> behaviours were released. We are now focusing on release handling
>>> (hgg), code upgrade and architectural patterns.
>>>
>>> What is available is an unedited draft, with new chapters and
>>> improvements published as they become available. You can find more
>>> info here:
>>>
>>> http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920024149.do?intcmp=il-prog-books-videos-product-intsrch_erlang_ct
>>>

>>> If you use discount code authd, you will get 50% off the Early
>>> Release, and 40% on pre-orders of the the printed copy.
>>>
>>> Looking forward to your feedback,
>>>

> Not for nothing, but $50 for the undedited work-in-progress seems a
> bit steep (and yes, I saw the discount code).  I also note that "rough
> cuts" aren't included in my Safari subscription.
>
> Usual practice that I've seen is for works-in-progress to be free,
> with tools that support comments from early readers.
>
> Sounds interesting - but, from the TOC (all that's available without
> paying), it sure looks like it covers the same ground as "Erlang and
> OTP in Action."

Now... if this were on Kickstarter, and you were avowedly asking for
support, that would be a different story.  The O'Reilly "rough cuts"
package is for the birds.

Miles

In practice, there is.   .... Yogi Berra

ANN: Designing for Scalability with Erlang/OTP by O'Reilly

Lee Sylvester
Wow, $50?  Yeah, that is steep.  If this were some black arts compiler book or video encoding bible, then that would be something else.  But a book on Erlang/OTP just doesn?t fall into that bracket?

I may wait til it falls in the bargain bucket ;-)

Lee

On 8 Jul 2014, at 19:08, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman> wrote:

> On 8 Jul 2014, at 16:05, Francesco Cesarini <francesco> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> a shameless plug. Steve Vinoski and I are working on a book focused on distributed, scalable systems with OTP. It is available from O'Reilly as an Early Release from their website. The first eight chapters we released cover (in great detail) all other behaviours. We started writing, and before we knew it, we had several hundred pages on behaviours alone. Last week, two new chapters, including the Introduction & Special processes and Implementing your own behaviours were released. We are now focusing on release handling (hgg), code upgrade and architectural patterns.
>>>
>>> What is available is an unedited draft, with new chapters and improvements published as they become available. You can find more info here:
>>>
>>> http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920024149.do?intcmp=il-prog-books-videos-product-intsrch_erlang_ct
>>>
>>> If you use discount code authd, you will get 50% off the Early Release, and 40% on pre-orders of the the printed copy.
>>>
>>> Looking forward to your feedback,
>>>

> Not for nothing, but $50 for the undedited work-in-progress seems a bit steep (and yes, I saw the discount code).  I also note that "rough cuts" aren't included in my Safari subscription.
>
> Usual practice that I've seen is for works-in-progress to be free, with tools that support comments from early readers.
>
> Sounds interesting - but, from the TOC (all that's available without paying), it sure looks like it covers the same ground as "Erlang and OTP in Action."
>
> Miles Fidelman

> In practice, there is.   .... Yogi Berra

ANN: Designing for Scalability with Erlang/OTP by O'Reilly

Francesco Mazzoli-2
Alas, that is how O'Reilly price their books. Having a high price and
then discounting is not the approach I would pick. That is why discount
codes are being handed out on public mailing lists and social media. I
recommend you use them (Read, no one pays full price for an O'Reilly
book). As an unedited book, the cost is for the final book which we hope
will complement what is already out there. It is a different approach to
OTP in action. One I've been using for 15 years when teaching OTP.

/F

On 08/07/2014 19:14, Lee Sylvester wrote:

> Wow, $50?  Yeah, that is steep.  If this were some black arts compiler book or video encoding bible, then that would be something else.  But a book on Erlang/OTP just doesn?t fall into that bracket?
>
> I may wait til it falls in the bargain bucket ;-)
>
> Lee

>> Not for nothing, but $50 for the undedited work-in-progress seems a bit steep (and yes, I saw the discount code).  I also note that "rough cuts" aren't included in my Safari subscription.
>>
>> Usual practice that I've seen is for works-in-progress to be free, with tools that support comments from early readers.
>>
>> Sounds interesting - but, from the TOC (all that's available without paying), it sure looks like it covers the same ground as "Erlang and OTP in Action."
>>
>> Miles Fidelman
>>
>> --
>> In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
>> In practice, there is.   .... Yogi Berra

Erlang Solutions Ltd.
http://www.erlang-solutions.com

ANN: Designing for Scalability with Erlang/OTP by O'Reilly

Raoul Duke-2
i haven't looked at the books here, but having been somebody who
produced things and wondered how anybody could ever make a living at
it, and knowing that writers throughout history rarely made much after
the publisher etc. got a cut, i didn't have the same reaction to the
$50 price tag. can't say i'd *spend* the $50 since i'm broke and
there's a zillion other things to spend $50 on first. i'd try to get
it via inter library loan or something :-).

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 11:36 AM, Francesco Cesarini
<francesco> wrote:

> Alas, that is how O'Reilly price their books. Having a high price and then
> discounting is not the approach I would pick. That is why discount codes are
> being handed out on public mailing lists and social media. I recommend you
> use them (Read, no one pays full price for an O'Reilly book). As an unedited
> book, the cost is for the final book which we hope will complement what is
> already out there. It is a different approach to OTP in action. One I've
> been using for 15 years when teaching OTP.
>
> /F
>
> On 08/07/2014 19:14, Lee Sylvester wrote:
>>
>> Wow, $50?  Yeah, that is steep.  If this were some black arts compiler
>> book or video encoding bible, then that would be something else.  But a book
>> on Erlang/OTP just doesn?t fall into that bracket?
>>
>> I may wait til it falls in the bargain bucket ;-)
>>
>> Lee
>>
>>   On 8 Jul 2014, at 19:08, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman>
>> wrote:

>>> Not for nothing, but $50 for the undedited work-in-progress seems a bit
>>> steep (and yes, I saw the discount code).  I also note that "rough cuts"
>>> aren't included in my Safari subscription.
>>>
>>> Usual practice that I've seen is for works-in-progress to be free, with
>>> tools that support comments from early readers.
>>>
>>> Sounds interesting - but, from the TOC (all that's available without
>>> paying), it sure looks like it covers the same ground as "Erlang and OTP in
>>> Action."
>>>
>>> Miles Fidelman
>>>
>>> --
>>> In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
>>> In practice, there is.   .... Yogi Berra

> Erlang Solutions Ltd.
> http://www.erlang-solutions.com

ANN: Designing for Scalability with Erlang/OTP by O'Reilly

Lee Sylvester
:-) That?s why I wouldn?t write a book for O?Reilly.  Wrox were bad enough.  I vowed my next book would be open source material.  No one writes a book for money, as anyone who?s written a book will know it?s not worth it from the second book onward and if you wrote a second book, you would be of a mind where the money wasn?t important.

Strange thing, books.

Lee

On 8 Jul 2014, at 19:36, Francesco Cesarini <francesco> wrote:

> Alas, that is how O'Reilly price their books. Having a high price and then discounting is not the approach I would pick. That is why discount codes are being handed out on public mailing lists and social media. I recommend you use them (Read, no one pays full price for an O'Reilly book). As an unedited book, the cost is for the final book which we hope will complement what is already out there. It is a different approach to OTP in action. One I've been using for 15 years when teaching OTP.
>
> /F
>
> On 08/07/2014 19:14, Lee Sylvester wrote:
>> Wow, $50?  Yeah, that is steep.  If this were some black arts compiler book or video encoding bible, then that would be something else.  But a book on Erlang/OTP just doesn?t fall into that bracket?
>>
>> I may wait til it falls in the bargain bucket ;-)
>>
>> Lee

>>> Not for nothing, but $50 for the undedited work-in-progress seems a bit steep (and yes, I saw the discount code).  I also note that "rough cuts" aren't included in my Safari subscription.
>>>
>>> Usual practice that I've seen is for works-in-progress to be free, with tools that support comments from early readers.
>>>
>>> Sounds interesting - but, from the TOC (all that's available without paying), it sure looks like it covers the same ground as "Erlang and OTP in Action."
>>>
>>> Miles Fidelman
>>>
>>> --
>>> In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
>>> In practice, there is.   .... Yogi Berra

> Erlang Solutions Ltd.
> http://www.erlang-solutions.com

ANN: Designing for Scalability with Erlang/OTP by O'Reilly

Lee Sylvester
Well that?s the thing.  I?d hazard a guess (and could be wrong) that Francesco?s and Steve?s contract offers them $1 for every printed book sold and 50 cents for every ebook.

Was I close?   ;-)

Lee

or start another publishing company ;-)

ANN: Designing for Scalability with Erlang/OTP by O'Reilly

Miles Fidelman-2
I was actually thinking of the CouchDB book, when I wrote my comment.
- also published by O'Reilly
- also available free on-line - in both work-in-progress and final forms
- and there's a paid-for hardcopy on my bookshelf

See http://guide.couchdb.org/index.html

Francesco Cesarini wrote:

> Alas, that is how O'Reilly price their books. Having a high price and
> then discounting is not the approach I would pick. That is why
> discount codes are being handed out on public mailing lists and social
> media. I recommend you use them (Read, no one pays full price for an
> O'Reilly book). As an unedited book, the cost is for the final book
> which we hope will complement what is already out there. It is a
> different approach to OTP in action. One I've been using for 15 years
> when teaching OTP.
>
> /F
>
> On 08/07/2014 19:14, Lee Sylvester wrote:
>> Wow, $50?  Yeah, that is steep.  If this were some black arts
>> compiler book or video encoding bible, then that would be something
>> else.  But a book on Erlang/OTP just doesn?t fall into that bracket?
>>
>> I may wait til it falls in the bargain bucket ;-)
>>
>> Lee
>>
>>   On 8 Jul 2014, at 19:08, Miles Fidelman
>> <mfidelman> wrote:

>>> Not for nothing, but $50 for the undedited work-in-progress seems a
>>> bit steep (and yes, I saw the discount code).  I also note that
>>> "rough cuts" aren't included in my Safari subscription.
>>>
>>> Usual practice that I've seen is for works-in-progress to be free,
>>> with tools that support comments from early readers.
>>>
>>> Sounds interesting - but, from the TOC (all that's available without
>>> paying), it sure looks like it covers the same ground as "Erlang and
>>> OTP in Action."
>>>
>>> Miles Fidelman
>>>
>>> --
>>> In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
>>> In practice, there is.   .... Yogi Berra

In practice, there is.   .... Yogi Berra

ANN: Designing for Scalability with Erlang/OTP by O'Reilly

Lee Sylvester
In fact (and yes, I realise I?m waffling), that the contract can sometimes seem good, until you reason the bit where it mentions major cuts to royalties when sold at discount, which all major retailers (Amazon etc.) tend to do.  So, the author ends up with practically nothing.  A book I wrote in 2006 is still selling copies (about 10k to date, I believe), yet I?ve still not earned a thing from it beyond the initial upfront lump sum, which totalled about $800.  When you compare that to the 600 man hours I put into it, it really isn?t worth it :-D

But then, I never wrote it for the cash.

Lee

On 8 Jul 2014, at 19:39, Raoul Duke <raould> wrote:

> i haven't looked at the books here, but having been somebody who
> produced things and wondered how anybody could ever make a living at
> it, and knowing that writers throughout history rarely made much after
> the publisher etc. got a cut, i didn't have the same reaction to the
> $50 price tag. can't say i'd *spend* the $50 since i'm broke and
> there's a zillion other things to spend $50 on first. i'd try to get
> it via inter library loan or something :-).
>
> On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 11:36 AM, Francesco Cesarini
> <francesco> wrote:
>> Alas, that is how O'Reilly price their books. Having a high price and then
>> discounting is not the approach I would pick. That is why discount codes are
>> being handed out on public mailing lists and social media. I recommend you
>> use them (Read, no one pays full price for an O'Reilly book). As an unedited
>> book, the cost is for the final book which we hope will complement what is
>> already out there. It is a different approach to OTP in action. One I've
>> been using for 15 years when teaching OTP.
>>
>> /F
>>
>> On 08/07/2014 19:14, Lee Sylvester wrote:
>>>
>>> Wow, $50?  Yeah, that is steep.  If this were some black arts compiler
>>> book or video encoding bible, then that would be something else.  But a book
>>> on Erlang/OTP just doesn?t fall into that bracket?
>>>
>>> I may wait til it falls in the bargain bucket ;-)
>>>
>>> Lee

>> --
>> Erlang Solutions Ltd.
>> http://www.erlang-solutions.com

ANN: Designing for Scalability with Erlang/OTP by O'Reilly

Lee Sylvester
Well, yeah.  Where fairness is due, many publishing companies are struggling these days.  Odd, really.

On 8 Jul 2014, at 19:44, Raoul Duke <raould> wrote:

>> :-) That?s why I wouldn?t write a book for O?Reilly.  Wrox were bad enough.  I vowed my next book would be open source material.  No one writes a book for money, as anyone who?s written a book will know it?s not worth it from the second book onward and if you wrote a second book, you would be of a mind where the money wasn?t important.
>

> or start another publishing company ;-)

ANN: Designing for Scalability with Erlang/OTP by O'Reilly

Francesco Mazzoli-2
You do not write books because you believe you are going to make money
out of them. You write them because you are passionate about the
subject. If you calculate what Simon and I made from our first book, I
am not sure we've hit minimum wage yet. From my side, I want to document
my approach to teaching OTP, as I think it will work in writing as well
as it does in the classroom. From the feedback Steve and I have received
so far, we are right on track. Reiterating an email on this list from
2008, I want to see a whole bookshelf of Erlang/OTP books out there.

I found the experience of working with O'Reilly really positive the
first time around. From the editor, the production team (Graphics, copy
editor, proof readers, etc) as well as their marketing and conferences.
And this time around, it is just as good, if not better. As an author, I
could not recommend them more highly. I want to write books, I do not
want to do all of the other stuff associated with getting it out. It is
just a false economy.

/F

PS. For those who can't afford 25$, try before you buy. It is called
BitTorrent.

On 08/07/2014 19:39, Raoul Duke wrote:

> i haven't looked at the books here, but having been somebody who
> produced things and wondered how anybody could ever make a living at
> it, and knowing that writers throughout history rarely made much after
> the publisher etc. got a cut, i didn't have the same reaction to the
> $50 price tag. can't say i'd *spend* the $50 since i'm broke and
> there's a zillion other things to spend $50 on first. i'd try to get
> it via inter library loan or something :-).
>
> On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 11:36 AM, Francesco Cesarini
> <francesco> wrote:
>> Alas, that is how O'Reilly price their books. Having a high price and then
>> discounting is not the approach I would pick. That is why discount codes are
>> being handed out on public mailing lists and social media. I recommend you
>> use them (Read, no one pays full price for an O'Reilly book). As an unedited
>> book, the cost is for the final book which we hope will complement what is
>> already out there. It is a different approach to OTP in action. One I've
>> been using for 15 years when teaching OTP.
>>
>> /F
>>
>> On 08/07/2014 19:14, Lee Sylvester wrote:
>>> Wow, $50?  Yeah, that is steep.  If this were some black arts compiler
>>> book or video encoding bible, then that would be something else.  But a book
>>> on Erlang/OTP just doesn?t fall into that bracket?
>>>
>>> I may wait til it falls in the bargain bucket ;-)
>>>
>>> Lee

>> --
>> Erlang Solutions Ltd.
>> http://www.erlang-solutions.com

Erlang Solutions Ltd.
http://www.erlang-solutions.com

on writing [was: ANN: Designing for Scalability with Erlang/OTP by O'Reilly]

Miles Fidelman-2
Yeah... agree on that.  In a previous life, I wrote two books:

First was on implementing Internet services in libraries (kind of dates
me, don't it :-).  Started out as the final report on a funded project,
ended up as a book for the American Library Association Press.
Phenomenal experience - an advance, an incredible editor, and it ended
up as a book club selection (who knew - the ALA has a book club for
their members - a copy ended up in every mid- and large- library in the
country).  I ended up making money on the book (not a lot, but worth the
effort).

Second was on municipal networks.  Started out as a very high-priced
handbook, sold by Government Technology Press - something like the third
book they published.  Intent was to co-market with their weekly trade
rag, conferences and seminars. Horrible experience:  Horrible editor
(kept making changes that changed the meaning of things - had to fight
to fix things), then they decided they didn't want to publish books
after all - shut down the book division.  Then again, I ended up with a
few hundred remainders, and camera-ready originals -- ended up selling a
bunch at $125 each (instead of the original $200+) through our web site,
and bundling them with a dozen seminars given over a year-long period.
Made out very well, particularly on the seminars and some consulting
gigs that resulted from the seminars.

Next book will definitely be self-published - not sure if will be open
source, though.

Definitely a "strange thing, books."

Cheers,

Miles

Lee Sylvester wrote:

> :-) That?s why I wouldn?t write a book for O?Reilly.  Wrox were bad enough.  I vowed my next book would be open source material.  No one writes a book for money, as anyone who?s written a book will know it?s not worth it from the second book onward and if you wrote a second book, you would be of a mind where the money wasn?t important.
>
> Strange thing, books.
>
> Lee
>

> On 8 Jul 2014, at 19:36, Francesco Cesarini <francesco> wrote:
>
>> Alas, that is how O'Reilly price their books. Having a high price and then discounting is not the approach I would pick. That is why discount codes are being handed out on public mailing lists and social media. I recommend you use them (Read, no one pays full price for an O'Reilly book). As an unedited book, the cost is for the final book which we hope will complement what is already out there. It is a different approach to OTP in action. One I've been using for 15 years when teaching OTP.
>>
>> /F
>>
>> On 08/07/2014 19:14, Lee Sylvester wrote:
>>> Wow, $50?  Yeah, that is steep.  If this were some black arts compiler book or video encoding bible, then that would be something else.  But a book on Erlang/OTP just doesn?t fall into that bracket?
>>>
>>> I may wait til it falls in the bargain bucket ;-)

>> --
>> Erlang Solutions Ltd.
>> http://www.erlang-solutions.com

In practice, there is.   .... Yogi Berra

ANN: Designing for Scalability with Erlang/OTP by O'Reilly

Lee Sylvester
It?s not about the $25.  With the effort you would have put into this, it?s certainly worth it, I?m sure.  This is merely a debate of the business of publishing and authoring.  In fact, I would feel better giving you $25 knowing you received it all than pay $25 to O?Reilly knowing you will see about $0.25 of it :-)

On 8 Jul 2014, at 19:51, Francesco Cesarini <francesco> wrote:

> You do not write books because you believe you are going to make money out of them. You write them because you are passionate about the subject. If you calculate what Simon and I made from our first book, I am not sure we've hit minimum wage yet. From my side, I want to document my approach to teaching OTP, as I think it will work in writing as well as it does in the classroom. From the feedback Steve and I have received so far, we are right on track. Reiterating an email on this list from 2008, I want to see a whole bookshelf of Erlang/OTP books out there.
>
> I found the experience of working with O'Reilly really positive the first time around. From the editor, the production team (Graphics, copy editor, proof readers, etc) as well as their marketing and conferences.  And this time around, it is just as good, if not better. As an author, I could not recommend them more highly. I want to write books, I do not want to do all of the other stuff associated with getting it out. It is just a false economy.
>
> /F
>
> PS. For those who can't afford 25$, try before you buy. It is called BitTorrent.
>
> On 08/07/2014 19:39, Raoul Duke wrote:
>> i haven't looked at the books here, but having been somebody who
>> produced things and wondered how anybody could ever make a living at
>> it, and knowing that writers throughout history rarely made much after
>> the publisher etc. got a cut, i didn't have the same reaction to the
>> $50 price tag. can't say i'd *spend* the $50 since i'm broke and
>> there's a zillion other things to spend $50 on first. i'd try to get
>> it via inter library loan or something :-).
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 11:36 AM, Francesco Cesarini
>> <francesco> wrote:
>>> Alas, that is how O'Reilly price their books. Having a high price and then
>>> discounting is not the approach I would pick. That is why discount codes are
>>> being handed out on public mailing lists and social media. I recommend you
>>> use them (Read, no one pays full price for an O'Reilly book). As an unedited
>>> book, the cost is for the final book which we hope will complement what is
>>> already out there. It is a different approach to OTP in action. One I've
>>> been using for 15 years when teaching OTP.
>>>
>>> /F

>>> --
>>> Erlang Solutions Ltd.
>>> http://www.erlang-solutions.com

> Erlang Solutions Ltd.
> http://www.erlang-solutions.com

ANN: Designing for Scalability with Erlang/OTP by O'Reilly

Miles Fidelman-2
Likewise.  Kickstarter or Indiegogo seems like a much better model for
the writing period.  Or maybe these guys: www.patreon.com - interesting
model for writers, musicians, and such - instead of funding a project,
you subscribe to a person - at $x/chapter or /song.

Lee Sylvester wrote:

> It?s not about the $25.  With the effort you would have put into this, it?s certainly worth it, I?m sure.  This is merely a debate of the business of publishing and authoring.  In fact, I would feel better giving you $25 knowing you received it all than pay $25 to O?Reilly knowing you will see about $0.25 of it :-)
>

> On 8 Jul 2014, at 19:51, Francesco Cesarini <francesco> wrote:
>
>> You do not write books because you believe you are going to make money out of them. You write them because you are passionate about the subject. If you calculate what Simon and I made from our first book, I am not sure we've hit minimum wage yet. From my side, I want to document my approach to teaching OTP, as I think it will work in writing as well as it does in the classroom. From the feedback Steve and I have received so far, we are right on track. Reiterating an email on this list from 2008, I want to see a whole bookshelf of Erlang/OTP books out there.
>>
>> I found the experience of working with O'Reilly really positive the first time around. From the editor, the production team (Graphics, copy editor, proof readers, etc) as well as their marketing and conferences.  And this time around, it is just as good, if not better. As an author, I could not recommend them more highly. I want to write books, I do not want to do all of the other stuff associated with getting it out. It is just a false economy.
>>
>> /F
>>
>> PS. For those who can't afford 25$, try before you buy. It is called BitTorrent.
>>
>> On 08/07/2014 19:39, Raoul Duke wrote:
>>> i haven't looked at the books here, but having been somebody who
>>> produced things and wondered how anybody could ever make a living at
>>> it, and knowing that writers throughout history rarely made much after
>>> the publisher etc. got a cut, i didn't have the same reaction to the
>>> $50 price tag. can't say i'd *spend* the $50 since i'm broke and
>>> there's a zillion other things to spend $50 on first. i'd try to get
>>> it via inter library loan or something :-).

>> --
>> Erlang Solutions Ltd.
>> http://www.erlang-solutions.com

In practice, there is.   .... Yogi Berra

on writing [was: ANN: Designing for Scalability with Erlang/OTP by O'Reilly]

Lee Sylvester
I also vowed my next book wouldn?t be a programming book.

If there?s a reason to write a book, its that it?s the best way to learn a topic inside out :-)  So, my next book is based on FPGA design and implementations for everyday projects (which is a programming book, I guess :-( )

On 8 Jul 2014, at 19:54, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman> wrote:

> Yeah... agree on that.  In a previous life, I wrote two books:
>
> First was on implementing Internet services in libraries (kind of dates me, don't it :-).  Started out as the final report on a funded project, ended up as a book for the American Library Association Press.  Phenomenal experience - an advance, an incredible editor, and it ended up as a book club selection (who knew - the ALA has a book club for their members - a copy ended up in every mid- and large- library in the country).  I ended up making money on the book (not a lot, but worth the effort).
>
> Second was on municipal networks.  Started out as a very high-priced handbook, sold by Government Technology Press - something like the third book they published.  Intent was to co-market with their weekly trade rag, conferences and seminars. Horrible experience:  Horrible editor (kept making changes that changed the meaning of things - had to fight to fix things), then they decided they didn't want to publish books after all - shut down the book division.  Then again, I ended up with a few hundred remainders, and camera-ready originals -- ended up selling a bunch at $125 each (instead of the original $200+) through our web site, and bundling them with a dozen seminars given over a year-long period.  Made out very well, particularly on the seminars and some consulting gigs that resulted from the seminars.
>
> Next book will definitely be self-published - not sure if will be open source, though.
>
> Definitely a "strange thing, books."
>
> Cheers,
>
> Miles
>
> Lee Sylvester wrote:
>> :-) That?s why I wouldn?t write a book for O?Reilly.  Wrox were bad enough.  I vowed my next book would be open source material.  No one writes a book for money, as anyone who?s written a book will know it?s not worth it from the second book onward and if you wrote a second book, you would be of a mind where the money wasn?t important.
>>
>> Strange thing, books.
>>
>> Lee
>>

>> On 8 Jul 2014, at 19:36, Francesco Cesarini <francesco> wrote:
>>
>>> Alas, that is how O'Reilly price their books. Having a high price and then discounting is not the approach I would pick. That is why discount codes are being handed out on public mailing lists and social media. I recommend you use them (Read, no one pays full price for an O'Reilly book). As an unedited book, the cost is for the final book which we hope will complement what is already out there. It is a different approach to OTP in action. One I've been using for 15 years when teaching OTP.
>>>
>>> /F

>>> --
>>> Erlang Solutions Ltd.
>>> http://www.erlang-solutions.com

> In practice, there is.   .... Yogi Berra

ANN: Designing for Scalability with Erlang/OTP by O'Reilly

Francesco Mazzoli-2
What I am being paid does not bother me, else I would not be putting
every spare hour of the day into this project. I have seen the
advantages of working with O'Reilly vs other publishing houses. They
deserve their cut, else I would not have gone back. I were to self
publish, the project would never get finished... And I would be forced
to deal with things I do not like doing. Not worth it for me. I would
rather have the backing and support O'Reilly are good at.

In regards to how books are released, everyone has their choice. For the
CouchDB book, it was already being written before O'Reilly came on
board. The first book, Simon did not want an early release. In this one,
Steve did not mind. There is no one size fits all.

Yup, strange things books. I think my next one will be a guide book.

/F

On 08/07/2014 19:55, Lee Sylvester wrote:

> It?s not about the $25.  With the effort you would have put into this, it?s certainly worth it, I?m sure.  This is merely a debate of the business of publishing and authoring.  In fact, I would feel better giving you $25 knowing you received it all than pay $25 to O?Reilly knowing you will see about $0.25 of it :-)
>

> On 8 Jul 2014, at 19:51, Francesco Cesarini <francesco> wrote:
>
>> You do not write books because you believe you are going to make money out of them. You write them because you are passionate about the subject. If you calculate what Simon and I made from our first book, I am not sure we've hit minimum wage yet. From my side, I want to document my approach to teaching OTP, as I think it will work in writing as well as it does in the classroom. From the feedback Steve and I have received so far, we are right on track. Reiterating an email on this list from 2008, I want to see a whole bookshelf of Erlang/OTP books out there.
>>
>> I found the experience of working with O'Reilly really positive the first time around. From the editor, the production team (Graphics, copy editor, proof readers, etc) as well as their marketing and conferences.  And this time around, it is just as good, if not better. As an author, I could not recommend them more highly. I want to write books, I do not want to do all of the other stuff associated with getting it out. It is just a false economy.
>>
>> /F
>>
>> PS. For those who can't afford 25$, try before you buy. It is called BitTorrent.
>>
>> On 08/07/2014 19:39, Raoul Duke wrote:
>>> i haven't looked at the books here, but having been somebody who
>>> produced things and wondered how anybody could ever make a living at
>>> it, and knowing that writers throughout history rarely made much after
>>> the publisher etc. got a cut, i didn't have the same reaction to the
>>> $50 price tag. can't say i'd *spend* the $50 since i'm broke and
>>> there's a zillion other things to spend $50 on first. i'd try to get
>>> it via inter library loan or something :-).

>> --
>> Erlang Solutions Ltd.
>> http://www.erlang-solutions.com

Erlang Solutions Ltd.
http://www.erlang-solutions.com

ANN: Designing for Scalability with Erlang/OTP by O'Reilly

Michał Ptaszek
On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 8:58 PM, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman>
wrote:

> Likewise.  Kickstarter or Indiegogo seems like a much better model for the
> writing period.  Or maybe these guys: www.patreon.com - interesting model
> for writers, musicians, and such - instead of funding a project, you
> subscribe to a person - at $x/chapter or /song.

The problem is not financing the writing of the book - it's all the other
stuff.

A decent book needs:

   - an good technical editor
   - a copy editor
   - layout/typography
   - marketing
   - etc.

Now while the author of a book will do this as a labour of love and is
just happy if the book gets read the editors and so on actually want to get
paid for their work - seen from O'Reillys POV any Erlang book is pretty
risky - they probably need to sell 5,00 copies to break even.

O'Reilly (and the prags etc.) re taking a big commercial risk by publishing
FP/Erlang books - what they hope is that one day these books will
reach the mainstream -

Now of course, Francesco et al (and myself) could self publish, publishing
through Lulu etc. is really easy (an cheap) so does not even need any
kickstarter money - the problem is finding decent technical editors and
proof readers. Self-published books will not find themselves on the
bookshelves of
my local bookstore.

> Lee Sylvester wrote:
>
>> It?s not about the $25.  With the effort you would have put into this,
>> it?s certainly worth it, I?m sure.  This is merely a debate of the business
>> of publishing and authoring.  In fact, I would feel better giving you $25
>> knowing you received it all than pay $25 to O?Reilly knowing you will see
>> about $0.25 of it :-)

What about the money for Simon St. Laurent? - Let's assume that you
thought 25$ was a fair amount to pay for Francesco and Simmons first
Erlang book - would you pay equal amounts to Francesco and Simon.

But wait a moment their editor who I think was Simon St Laurent
will have made significant contributions to the book - should his
contribution
be unpaid and unrecognised?

> On 8 Jul 2014, at 19:51, Francesco Cesarini <francesco
>> com> wrote:
>>
>>  You do not write books because you believe you are going to make money
>>> out of them. You write them because you are passionate about the subject.
>>> If you calculate what Simon and I made from our first book, I am not sure
>>> we've hit minimum wage yet. From my side, I want to document my approach to
>>> teaching OTP, as I think it will work in writing as well as it does in the
>>> classroom. From the feedback Steve and I have received so far, we are right
>>> on track. Reiterating an email on this list from 2008, I want to see a
>>> whole bookshelf of Erlang/OTP books out there.
>>>
>>> I found the experience of working with O'Reilly really positive the
>>> first time around. From the editor, the production team (Graphics, copy
>>> editor, proof readers, etc) as well as their marketing and conferences.
>>>  And this time around, it is just as good, if not better. As an author, I
>>> could not recommend them more highly. I want to write books, I do not want
>>> to do all of the other stuff associated with getting it out. It is just a
>>> false economy.

I agree 100% - my experience with the prags was the same - publishers
do not just screw the authors - they add value to the product and they take
financial risk.

(I actually find it strange to be arguing this. It would be easy to say that
all a publisher does is screw the authors but this is not true - they
actually improve the product - my books have been immensely improved by
my editors - Dave Thomas and Susannah Pfalzer)

Books published by reputable publishers are an essentially part of
becoming mainstream - the cost does not reflect the production cost
but rather what the publisher decides what to price the book at  - too
little
and they go bankrupt too much and they have no income.

All decent technical books are available on file sharing networks for free
anyway.