[ANN] Rebar3 3.7.0

Fred Hebert-2
Rebar3 3.7.0 is out, and we have some amazing features to show you!

Thanks to work done by Tristan Sloughter (with some backing of the IEUG,
which is wokring on a transition towards a big foundation with a name
still up in the air), we've got some great stuff to announce:

- There's been a complete rework of how Hex packages and their indexes
  are handled.  We now support the Hex v2 protocol,
  with their concept of private organisations. There is also added
  support for layered hex indexes, allowing the usage of mirrors and
  self-hosted indexes in a transparent manner within a project.

  Documentation: https://www.rebar3.org/v3/docs/configuration#section-hex-repos-and-indexes

  If you were using the rebar3_hex plugin, you'll need to upgrade it to
  work with this new version.

- The local index cache is now built lazily, meaning Rebar3 should be
  leaner in its usage of local storage and memory regarding hex, and
  network lookups should be less frequent. This should help people
  working towards hermetic builds as well

- There's been major rework around custom resource plugins and compilers
  (old resources and plugins are still working, no worry). This has
  allowed some real interesting stuff such as Benoit Chesneau's local
  path dependencies plugin (https://github.com/benoitc/rebar3_path_deps)

  Documentation (resources):
  https://www.rebar3.org/v3/docs/custom-dep-resources#section-resources-compatible-with-versions-370-and-above
  Documentation (compiler plugin):
  https://www.rebar3.org/v3/docs/custom-compiler-modules

- Elixir dependencies are now supported through the rebar_mix plugin
  (https://github.com/tsloughter/rebar_mix) thanks to these changes!

But as if that were not amazing enough, we've also got a few other
features, including:

- The ability to only compile dependencies, which is useful for docker images
  (use the --deps_only or -d switches, as described in
  http://erlware.org/rebar3-building-docker-images/)

- Added support for breakpoints to be added in tests (or other arbitrary
  tasks) to let you debug them in rebar3's shell

  Documentation:
  https://www.rebar3.org/v3/docs/using-breakpoints-to-debug-tests

- Support for a REBAR_GIT_CLONE_OPTIONS environment variable which lets people set
  up git caching of repositories for faster fetches across projects when
  calling it with values such as:
  REBAR_GIT_CLONE_OPTIONS="--reference ~/.cache/repos.reference"

- Support alias commands with namespaces
  (declared as {Namespace, Cmd} and {Namespace, Cmd, Args} in the alias
  option).

There is also a good bunch of nice bugfixes. You can get the full list
at https://github.com/erlang/rebar3/releases/tag/3.7.0

Have a great week-end, and thanks to all the contributors who opened
issues and submitted pull requests!

- Fred.

Re: [ANN] Rebar3 3.7.0

Leo Liu-2
On 2018-11-23 14:07 -0500, Fred Hebert wrote:
> Have a great week-end, and thanks to all the contributors who opened
> issues and submitted pull requests!

3.7.0 generates .app files that don't include modules in a sub-directory
of src. Is this intentional?

Leo

Re: [ANN] Rebar3 3.7.0

Tristan Sloughter-4
That is not intentional. Please open an issue and we'll get it fixed. We already release 3.7.1 to resolve an xrl/yrl compilation issue https://github.com/erlang/rebar3/releases/tag/3.7.1

Tristan

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018, at 16:03, Leo Liu wrote:

> On 2018-11-23 14:07 -0500, Fred Hebert wrote:
> > Have a great week-end, and thanks to all the contributors who opened
> > issues and submitted pull requests!
>
> 3.7.0 generates .app files that don't include modules in a sub-directory
> of src. Is this intentional?
>
> Leo

Re: [ANN] Rebar3 3.7.0

Tristan Sloughter-4
Leo, please try 3.7.2 https://github.com/erlang/rebar3/releases/tag/3.7.2

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018, at 16:06, Tristan Sloughter wrote:

> That is not intentional. Please open an issue and we'll get it fixed. We
> already release 3.7.1 to resolve an xrl/yrl compilation issue
> https://github.com/erlang/rebar3/releases/tag/3.7.1
>
> Tristan
>
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2018, at 16:03, Leo Liu wrote:
> > On 2018-11-23 14:07 -0500, Fred Hebert wrote:
> > > Have a great week-end, and thanks to all the contributors who opened
> > > issues and submitted pull requests!
> >
> > 3.7.0 generates .app files that don't include modules in a sub-directory
> > of src. Is this intentional?
> >
> > Leo

Re: [ANN] Rebar3 3.7.0

Leo Liu-2
On 2018-11-23 16:06 -0700, Tristan Sloughter wrote:
> That is not intentional. Please open an issue and we'll get it fixed.
> We already release 3.7.1 to resolve an xrl/yrl compilation issue
> https://github.com/erlang/rebar3/releases/tag/3.7.1
>
> Tristan

Sorry for my late response. Was tied up with a new born.

On 2018-11-23 18:13 -0700, Tristan Sloughter wrote:
> Leo, please try 3.7.2 https://github.com/erlang/rebar3/releases/tag/3.7.2

It works. Thanks a lot for the quick fix.

Leo