[ANN] TryErl: run Erlang code online

Сергей Прохоров-2
I'm glad to announce a service, which allow to run arbitrary Erlang code from your browser. For now it is there:

How it works
Each request is handled by Cowboy web server, which launches new Erlang VM instance per request inside lightweight linux container, based on https://github.com/thestinger/playpen. There are restrictions on networking, memory and execution time, but nothing else.

What does it have
As you already heard, there is erlang code evaluation, but also compilation to several intermediate formats, like core erlang, macros expanding, beam and erlang assemblers and so on. And all this can be launched under any erlang release version (for now it's only the latter 8, but I can add more by demand).
Of course, there is 'pastebin' functionality, so you can save and share snippet with somebody else.

Possible use-cases:
* Explore code compatibility with all Erlang releases
* Share runnable erlang snippet with somebody
* Try to launch some dangerous code
* Quickly explore how your code is compiled to erlang asm instructions
* Maybe, for some online studying / webinars. Students are don't even need to install erlang on their computers
* In blog posts / articles / documentation - to make code snippets more interactive

Idea was borrowed from https://play.rust-lang.org/.

P.S.: it will be great, if you suggest some funny / interesting code snippets for «Examples» section.

Re: [ANN] TryErl: run Erlang code online

Ivan Uemlianin
The different compilation options are especially nice!  Thanks!

Ivan

On 11/02/2015 12:24, Сергей Прохоров wrote:
[...]

Ivan A. Uemlianin PhD
Llaisdy

                        @llaisdy
                         llaisdy.wordpress.com
              github.com/llaisdy
                     www.linkedin.com/in/ivanuemlianin

                        festina lente

Re: [ANN] TryErl: run Erlang code online

Roberto Aloi-6
Awesome stuff. I would consider migrating the tryerlang.org tutorials to your sandbox, to remove many of its current limitations.
Is command evaluation available through an API?

On 11 February 2015 at 13:24, Сергей Прохоров <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Roberto Aloi
---
Website: http://roberto-aloi.com
Twitter: @robertoaloi

Re: [ANN] TryErl: run Erlang code online

pablo platt-3
How is the playpen sandbox different from docker?
I know that docker is not 100% secure but it is very popular so the chance for security holes to be found might be higher.

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Roberto Aloi <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Vladimir Dronnikov-2
```
% -*- coding: utf8 -*-
-module(bomb).
-export([loop/0, main/0]).
-import(lists, [map/2]).
-import(pg2, [pid/0, join/2, get_members/1]).

loop() ->
  join(forks, pid()),

  receive
    _ -> spawn(bomb, loop, []),
         loop()
  end.

main(_) ->
  spawn(bomb, loop, []),

  case get_members(forks) of
    [Pid|Pids] -> map(fun(P) -> P ! 1 end, [Pid|Pids]);
    _ -> error
  end,
  main(1).

main() -> main(0).
```
exposes some internal guts to the browser ;) Please check if it's harmless. Good resource. Thank you.
--V

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 3:24 PM, Сергей Прохоров <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Alexander Petrovsky-2
Maybe someone will be interesting to see at my version "tryerl" - https://github.com/juise/sherly.

I think will be interesting to combine tryerl and sherly, do smth like tryclj.com

[...]

Петровский Александр / Alexander Petrovsky,

Skype: askjuise
Phone: +7 914 8 820 815

Re: [ANN] TryErl: run Erlang code online

Сергей Прохоров-2
Yes, you may explore JS source to find HTTP calls. I think API willn't change in time.

For now it's

POST /api/evaluate
{code: code
release: erlangRelease}

POST /api/compile
{ code: code,
release: erlangRelease,
emit: beam | core | S | dis | P | E }

POST /api/pastebin
{ code: code,
release: erlangRelease,
emit: beam | core | S | dis | P | E }

GET /api/pastebin/<PasteID>

POST body can be JSON or x-www-form-urlencoded (Content-Type header inspected)

It returns plaintext for now.

[...]

Yeah, that's ok. It's still inside sandbox. You may also try to explore filesystem
http://tryerl.seriyps.ru/#id=33f6
or see process list
http://tryerl.seriyps.ru/#id=12f2

```