ANN: erlPress_core V. 0.01

Lloyd R. Prentice-2
Generate PDFs from your Erlang applications.

GitHub: writersglen:erlPress_core

MIT license.

erlPress_core modifies and extends the Hugh Watkins fork of Erlang Erlguten originally developed by Joe Armstrong.

Joe Armstrong set out an ambitious goal: "Better than TeX."

http://erlang.org/euc/04/erlguten.pdf

But development flagged.

erlPress_core picks up the baton. With your creative and technical help, our aspiration is to bring Joe's vision to reality and beyond.

We see erlPress_core as the base for many as yet-to-be-developed Erlang applications for creative print media publishing tools.

To see current functionality, display .../pdf/galleys/ep_show_n_tell.pdf. For source see ../src/tests/ep_show_n_tell.erl.

erlPress_core is not yet the polished gem we envision. Your help in buffing up rough edges and fleshing out functionality is heartily welcome.

Among other things, Erlguten source contains still more hidden gems than we've been able to dig out for lack of technical understanding or time. We'd love to integrate them into erlPress_core.

High on our help-wanted list: typefaces in erlPress_core are currently limited to PostScript Type I. Support for OTF, TTF, and/or maybe TeX fonts rank high on our road map. Your help here would be welcomed and much appreciated. We have ideas how this can be done if you're interested.

And more... we look forward to the creative applications that erlPress_core will enable you to build.

P.S. Thanks to Frank Muller and others who have encouraged and supported development of erlPress_core.

My books:

THE GOSPEL OF ASHES
http://thegospelofashes.com

Strength is not enough. Do they have the courage
and the cunning? Can they survive long enough to
save the lives of millions?

FREEIN' PANCHO
http://freeinpancho.com

A community of misfits help a troubled boy find his way

AYA TAKEO
http://ayatakeo.com

Star-crossed love, war and power in an alternative
universe

Available through Amazon or by request from your
favorite bookstore

Re: ANN: erlPress_core V. 0.01

Nathaniel Waisbrot
This is nice. I love my TeX-generated documents and I love Erlang.

For the lazy, here are the full links to the examples.

Example document: https://github.com/writersglen/erlPress_core/blob/master/pdf/galleys/ep_show_n_tell.pdf (for me, GitHub fails to display this inline and I have to download it to see it)

Maybe I'll try a rewrite of my TeX-based resume in erlPress_core.

I wonder if this is something that would benefit from a language with more powerful macros, like Elixir or LFE.

On Aug 30, 2018, at 12:48 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

[...]

Fred Hebert-2
I'm very happy to see that stuff, Lloyd! You've been around for a while
and have voiced concerns about things that you found confusing in the
past, but I'm impressed by what you got there out of what is (I think)
the first publicly announced release you've got.

On 08/30, Nathaniel Waisbrot wrote:

>Maybe I'll try a rewrite of my TeX-based resume in erlPress_core.

Now that's something interesting. I don't know when I'd have time to try
that but it would definitely be interesting.

Re: ANN: erlPress_core V. 0.01

Lloyd R. Prentice-2
Hi Nathaniel,

ErlPress resumes would be fairly easy. I’m happy to help you with it, perhaps as a project we could publish as a blog post.

First step, scan the web for an attractive/functional layout. From there we can create a template. It would be cool to pour text into the template from your favorite db.

Several tasks high on my road-map would make it even easier and more elegant:

— Wider choice of fonts
— Wrapping up work-in-progress Markdown parsing
— db data input functions

The first task is challenging, though I have ideas. The second two should be fairly easy.

Thanks for your interest.

All the best,

Lloyd

Sent from my iPad

> On Aug 30, 2018, at 7:58 PM, Fred Hebert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm very happy to see that stuff, Lloyd! You've been around for a while and have voiced concerns about things that you found confusing in the past, but I'm impressed by what you got there out of what is (I think) the first publicly announced release you've got.
>

>> On 08/30, Nathaniel Waisbrot wrote:
>>
>> Maybe I'll try a rewrite of my TeX-based resume in erlPress_core.
>>

> Now that's something interesting. I don't know when I'd have time to try that but it would definitely be interesting.

Re: ANN: erlPress_core V. 0.01

Jesse Gumm
Way to go, Lloyd!

I know you've been working your tail off to get this out, so I'm glad to see it finally make its way out.

Cheers, dude!

-Jesse