Quantcast

[ANN] euuid 1.0.0 - an erlang UUID implementation

[ANN] euuid 1.0.0 - an erlang UUID implementation

Martijn Rijkeboer
Hello,

As an exercise for learning Erlang I wrote an Universally Unique
IDentifier (UUID) implementation as defined in RFC 4122. This module
implements the UUID versions 1, 3, 4 and 5. It also implements a custom
time based UUID that is based on version 1 but has a different layout to
allow easy sorting on the creation date. This module is available as
open-source under the MIT licence for anyone to use.

You can take a look at the code on my github repository:
- https://github.com/mrijkeboer/euuid

Since this is my first Erlang program please let me know what you think.
I'm open to suggestions and enhancements.

Best regards,

Martijn Rijkeboer

Re: [ANN] euuid 1.0.0 - an erlang UUID implementation

Michael Truog
There is simpler/faster code that serves the same purpose (rfc uuids, versions 1,3,4,5) under a similar license (BSD) here:
https://github.com/okeuday/uuid

Getting the real MAC address is possible in Erlang, though undocumented.  I include the Erlang pid integers within the node id for version 1 UUIDs and keep the version 1 state cacheable for quicker usage.

On 08/01/2011 11:37 AM, Martijn Rijkeboer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As an exercise for learning Erlang I wrote an Universally Unique
> IDentifier (UUID) implementation as defined in RFC 4122. This module
> implements the UUID versions 1, 3, 4 and 5. It also implements a custom
> time based UUID that is based on version 1 but has a different layout to
> allow easy sorting on the creation date. This module is available as
> open-source under the MIT licence for anyone to use.
>
> You can take a look at the code on my github repository:
> - https://github.com/mrijkeboer/euuid
>
> Since this is my first Erlang program please let me know what you think.
> I'm open to suggestions and enhancements.
>
> Best regards,
>

> Martijn Rijkeboer

Re: [ANN] euuid 1.0.0 - an erlang UUID implementation

Olivier Girondel
On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 8:37 PM, Martijn Rijkeboer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As an exercise for learning Erlang I wrote an Universally Unique
> IDentifier (UUID) implementation as defined in RFC 4122. This module
> implements the UUID versions 1, 3, 4 and 5. It also implements a custom
> time based UUID that is based on version 1 but has a different layout to
> allow easy sorting on the creation date. This module is available as
> open-source under the MIT licence for anyone to use.
>
> You can take a look at the code on my github repository:
> - https://github.com/mrijkeboer/euuid
>
> Since this is my first Erlang program please let me know what you think.
> I'm open to suggestions and enhancements.

Hello Martijn,

Well, UUIDs seem to be:

1. A good exercise
2. Implemented over and over again (I'll just quote mine, but a good way to
check your code would be to have a look on older implementations)
3. A good candidate for inclusion somewhere in a library upstream :)

My (own and old) 2 cents

http://erlang.biniou.org/erluuid/

Best regards,

--
Olivier / http://biniou.net

Re: [ANN] euuid 1.0.0 - an erlang UUID implementation

Garrett Smith-5
On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 7:09 PM, Olivier Girondel
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 8:37 PM, Martijn Rijkeboer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> As an exercise for learning Erlang I wrote an Universally Unique
>> IDentifier (UUID) implementation as defined in RFC 4122.
> Well, UUIDs seem to be:
>
> 1. A good exercise
> 2. Implemented over and over again (I'll just quote mine, but a good way to
> check your code would be to have a look on older implementations)
> 3. A good candidate for inclusion somewhere in a library upstream :)

+1

I wonder, at least two to three times a week, why foobar module isn't
a part of the OTP distribution.

Admittedly, I'm not sure how that happens.

Off the top of my head, a few things that I hate looking elsewhere for:

gproc, json, bin_to_hex, uuid, urllib (URL utils ala mochiweb_util), getopt

Garrett

Re: [ANN] euuid 1.0.0 - an erlang UUID implementation

Juan Jose Comellas-3
Is there a formal procedure to submit new modules to OTP? I am the author of one implementation of getopt that some people are using and I'd like to submit it to be included in OTP. Are there any conditions that have to be met besides those of licensing and how useful it is?

Juanjo

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 8:37 PM, Martijn Rijkeboer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> As an exercise for learning Erlang I wrote an Universally Unique
>> IDentifier (UUID) implementation as defined in RFC 4122.
> Well, UUIDs seem to be:
>
> 1. A good exercise
> 2. Implemented over and over again (I'll just quote mine, but a good way to
> check your code would be to have a look on older implementations)
> 3. A good candidate for inclusion somewhere in a library upstream :)

+1

I wonder, at least two to three times a week, why foobar module isn't
a part of the OTP distribution.

Admittedly, I'm not sure how that happens.

Off the top of my head, a few things that I hate looking elsewhere for:

gproc, json, bin_to_hex, uuid, urllib (URL utils ala mochiweb_util), getopt

Garrett

Re: [ANN] euuid 1.0.0 - an erlang UUID implementation

halcasteel
http://erlang.biniou.org/erluuid/

This url is no longer valid.

Do you still have your uuid code accessible somewhere?