[ANN] jason 1.0.2

PAILLEAU Eric
Hi,

Jason 1.O.2 has been released !

Jason is a JSON encode/decode library written in Erlang.

This project was mainly created for *easy* handling of JSON from/to
Erlang records, but allow more common binary struct, proplists and maps
formats like many other projects.

Jason create for you ad-hoc helper modules for records or can look into
modules to extract record informations. No parse_transform, Jason is non
intrusive in your code !

An example is better than a long speech, so have a look to
https://github.com/crownedgrouse/jason/wiki/Examples

jason offer also a rare feature : pretty printing JSON in several
indentation styles.

Enjoy !

Note: this project has nothing to do with Elixir project with same name.

Project : https://github.com/crownedgrouse/jason
Wiki    : https://github.com/crownedgrouse/jason/wiki

Cheers !

Eric

Re: [ANN] jason 1.0.2

Tristan Sloughter-4

> Note: this project has nothing to do with Elixir project with same name.

I was going to reply to bring that up. Especially since there is a hex package for jason, the Elixir app, it will be confusing. Even without a name change you should publish to hex though :), then at least people searching for jason will see both and pick the right one. You can publish with a different package name than the app name, so like jason_erl.

Tristan

Re: [ANN] jason 1.0.2

PAILLEAU Eric
Le 29/04/2018 à 19:25, Tristan Sloughter a écrit :

>> Note: this project has nothing to do with Elixir project with same name.
>
> I was going to reply to bring that up. Especially since there is a hex package for jason, the Elixir app, it will be confusing. Even without a name change you should publish to hex though :), then at least people searching for jason will see both and pick the right one. You can publish with a different package name than the app name, so like jason_erl.

Hi Tristan,
thanks for your comment.
I'm not an Elixir guy and lately see that another project had same same
on hex.
Yes I will consider publish on hex with a slightly different name, but
waiting for a feedback on my project first, and maybe add some fixes if
needed before.

Honestly I do not like the syntax of mix.exs, always a pain for me,
  and prefers Cargo.toml for Rust or composer.json for Composer PHP
syntaxes ...

More generally speaking, a decentralized package manager based on
block-chain and maybe IPFS would be a better alternative for futur.
If I had more time ...

Regards

Re: [ANN] jason 1.0.2

Tristan Sloughter-4
You can publish with rebar3, no need to have a mix.exs.

https://hex.pm/docs/rebar3_publish

https://www.rebar3.org/v3.0/docs/hex-package-management

Assuming that is why you brought up mix.exs.

And just to throw it out there, at the very beginning of rebar3 I actually toyed with toml (was using cargo and lein as inspiration) for the config. It didn't seem worth it. A language that doesn't have lists and tuples as basic structures it makes sense, felt like unnecessary indirection for Erlang.

--
  Tristan Sloughter
  "I am not a crackpot" - Abe Simpson

On Tue, May 1, 2018, at 6:16 AM, PAILLEAU Eric wrote:

> Le 29/04/2018 à 19:25, Tristan Sloughter a écrit :
> >
> >> Note: this project has nothing to do with Elixir project with same name.
> >
> > I was going to reply to bring that up. Especially since there is a hex package for jason, the Elixir app, it will be confusing. Even without a name change you should publish to hex though :), then at least people searching for jason will see both and pick the right one. You can publish with a different package name than the app name, so like jason_erl.
>
> Hi Tristan,
> thanks for your comment.
> I'm not an Elixir guy and lately see that another project had same same
> on hex.
> Yes I will consider publish on hex with a slightly different name, but
> waiting for a feedback on my project first, and maybe add some fixes if
> needed before.
>
> Honestly I do not like the syntax of mix.exs, always a pain for me,
>   and prefers Cargo.toml for Rust or composer.json for Composer PHP
> syntaxes ...
>
> More generally speaking, a decentralized package manager based on
> block-chain and maybe IPFS would be a better alternative for futur.
> If I had more time ...
>
> Regards

Re: [ANN] jason 1.0.2

PAILLEAU Eric
Le 01/05/2018 à 16:54, Tristan Sloughter a écrit :
> You can publish with rebar3, no need to have a mix.exs.

Hi,
thanks for the tip, indeed easier.

jason is now published under package name jason_erl .

Regards