[ANN] rebar3_path_deps a plugin to specify path dependencies in rebar.config

[ANN] rebar3_path_deps a plugin to specify path dependencies in rebar.config

Benoit Chesneau-2
I've created a new rebar plugin to handle path dependencies in your projects.

This plugin add to rebar the supports of path dependencies which are typically sub-applications that live within one repository.

That  is useful when you're project is growing over the time and requires to split the dependencies, but you still want to handle everything in one repository for some convenience.

The source and full usage doc is there: https://github.com/benoitc/rebar3_path_deps

It's already available on hex:
https://hex.pm/packages/rebar3_path_deps

Hope it helps,

Benoît.

Re: [ANN] rebar3_path_deps a plugin to specify path dependencies in rebar.config

Sölvi Páll Ásgeirsson
*bow*

We're doing something similar by hackily abusing _checkouts.
This looks much better

Thanks for this!

Sölvi
On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 11:02 AM Benoit Chesneau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've created a new rebar plugin to handle path dependencies in your projects.
>
> This plugin add to rebar the supports of path dependencies which are typically sub-applications that live within one repository.
>
> That  is useful when you're project is growing over the time and requires to split the dependencies, but you still want to handle everything in one repository for some convenience.
>
> The source and full usage doc is there: https://github.com/benoitc/rebar3_path_deps
>
> It's already available on hex:
> https://hex.pm/packages/rebar3_path_deps
>

> Hope it helps,
>

> Benoît.

Re: [ANN] rebar3_path_deps a plugin to specify path dependencies in rebar.config

Alin Popa
We've been doing that as well, in a previous company, some time ago https://github.com/alinpopa/rebar3-localdep-plugin
Indeed, this particular one looks better.

Alin

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 12:09 PM Sölvi Páll Ásgeirsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
*bow*

We're doing something similar by hackily abusing _checkouts.
This looks much better

Thanks for this!

Sölvi
On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 11:02 AM Benoit Chesneau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've created a new rebar plugin to handle path dependencies in your projects.
>
> This plugin add to rebar the supports of path dependencies which are typically sub-applications that live within one repository.
>
> That  is useful when you're project is growing over the time and requires to split the dependencies, but you still want to handle everything in one repository for some convenience.
>
> The source and full usage doc is there: https://github.com/benoitc/rebar3_path_deps
>
> It's already available on hex:
> https://hex.pm/packages/rebar3_path_deps
>

> Hope it helps,
>

> Benoît.

Re: [ANN] rebar3_path_deps a plugin to specify path dependencies in rebar.config

Benoit Chesneau-2
Thanks!  To complete, as I was saying on slack I created this plugin with the following goals in mind:

1) having a way to handle dependencies inside a mono repo, which means something I can include and  build by profile or another subproject inside of the mono repo. Something that `project_app_dirs` doesn't allow since all apps inside these folders are built (different purpose)
2) have something as simple as you could find in cargo (the rust packager)

Ie. it's purpose is really for mono repos. I have updated the readme to reflect its usage.

Other differences from `localdep` are:

- it doesn't use an environment variables to find the dependencies, the dependencies are related to the rebar.config folder of the top project.
- On compilation it checks if the sources have changed and if not will not rebuild the dependency.
Hope it will be useful.

Benoît