Adopting use Elvis

Zachary Kessin-2
HI Erlang Gang

My company is in the process of adopting Elvis for our code base, so far we have it on a few small projects and are finding it useful. But I had two questions:

  1. What rules have people found most or least useful
  2. Are there any rules that people have developed that are not part of the main Elvis package that we might want to look at?

Thanks
Zach

Zach Kessin

Re: Adopting use Elvis

Marc Worrell
Hi Zach,

In Zotonic we are using Elvis for simple checking.

We tried to only catch blatant problems or style diversions.
Most useful are:

* Variable and function naming
* Nesting level

Our line length of 110 is a compromise.
I am ok with longer lines, though others in our team like punch card line lengths.

Our current config is here:

Cheers,

Marc

On 26 Sep 2019, at 22:18, Zachary Kessin <[hidden email]> wrote:

HI Erlang Gang

My company is in the process of adopting Elvis for our code base, so far we have it on a few small projects and are finding it useful. But I had two questions:

  1. What rules have people found most or least useful
  2. Are there any rules that people have developed that are not part of the main Elvis package that we might want to look at?

Thanks
Zach

Zach Kessin

Re: Adopting use Elvis

Brujo Benavides-3
I’m a bit biased here, as a maintainer of Elvis, but I can show you the current config we have for our public repos:
Personally, my favorite rules are DRY and god_modules. That ones help me a lot with refactoring.
But, I’m of course also very fond of this one :P