Announce EX11 release 2.5

Joe Williams-2
  As promised version 2.4 of ex11 (X11 graphics for Erlang)

  see http://www.sics.se/~joe/ex11/ for general info

  and http://www.sics.se/~joe/ex11/download/release-2.5.tgz for the code

  The  latest  release  is  release-2.5  - this  is  an  "in  between"
release. release-2.5 contains many undocumented widgets, the intention
of release-2.5 it merely to test that the initialization routines work
correctly.

  If  you run  release-2.5 and  initialization does  not work  can you
please mail the file startup_error_report to me.

  If it works you'll know - try out the new widgets (emacs, lifts, font
selector ...)

  Please run in all possible modes - ie with ssl forwarding etc.

  Cheers

  /Joe

Announce EX11 release 2.5

Mickael Remond-2
On Wed, 12 May 2004 12:04:19 +0200 (CEST), Joe Armstrong <joe>
wrote:

>   The  latest  release  is  release-2.5  - this  is  an  "in  between"
> release. release-2.5 contains many undocumented widgets, the intention
> of release-2.5 it merely to test that the initialization routines work
> correctly.
>
>   If  you run  release-2.5 and  initialization does  not work  can you
> please mail the file startup_error_report to me.
>
>   If it works you'll know - try out the new widgets (emacs, lifts, font
> selector ...)

Hello,

I did not manage to make the previous version work (I did not dig into X11
configuration).
However, this new version is working very well for me. I just issued make
and everything worked.

This is good news for the next steps of this project.

--
Micka?l R?mond
  http://www.erlang-projects.org/

Announce EX11 release 2.5

Vlad Dumitrescu-4
> However, this new version is working very well for me. I just issued make
> and everything worked.

Hi,

cool stuff! It worked for me too - with the small issue that the makefile should
detect windows/cygwin systems and not try to compile unixdom. Otherwise, no
problems!

/Vlad

Announce EX11 release 2.5

Hal Snyder-2
Joe Armstrong <joe> writes:

> The latest release is release-2.5 - this is an "in between" release.
> release-2.5 contains many undocumented widgets, the intention of
> release-2.5 it merely to test that the initialization routines work
> correctly.
>
> If you run release-2.5 and initialization does not work can you
> please mail the file startup_error_report to me.

On FreeBSD-5.0 with ssh forwarding, DISPLAY=localhost:10.0 - works ok.
Because gnu make is not the default on the BSD's, I changed toplevel
Makefile:

all:
        cd lib; $(MAKE)
        cd unixdom-0.1/src; $(MAKE)
        cd widgets; $(MAKE)

clean:
        cd lib; $(MAKE) clean
        cd widgets; $(MAKE) clean
        cd unixdom-0.1/src; $(MAKE) clean

Also paths for include and lib for jpeg lib had to be frobbed.

On i386 Solaris 9 with ssh forwarding, no joy. It sat there for a
couple minutes with no display. I was about to kill it when it cored.

No startup_error_report was written. Note DISPLAY is xyzzy.vail:11.0,
i.e. fqdn:display.screen.

1> Trying Host={ip,"localhost"} Display=11 Screen=0
Connecting to tcp port:6011
cannot connect reason:etimedout
Trying Host=unix Display=11 Screen=0
Connecting to unix domain socket:11
Port opened sending cookie:
gmake[1]: *** [all] Segmentation Fault (core dumped)
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/export/home/hal/ex11/release-2.5/widgets'
gmake: *** [all] Error 2

There was more minor config stuff for the makefiles on this system -
utils are in /usr/pkg, not /usr/local, not /opt/sfw. gcc is not in
PATH, etc.

Thanks.

Announce EX11 release 2.5

Joe Williams-2
On Wed, 12 May 2004, Hal Snyder wrote:

> Joe Armstrong <joe> writes:

> > The latest release is release-2.5 - this is an "in between" release.
> > release-2.5 contains many undocumented widgets, the intention of
> > release-2.5 it merely to test that the initialization routines work
> > correctly.
> >
> > If you run release-2.5 and initialization does not work can you
> > please mail the file startup_error_report to me.
>

> On FreeBSD-5.0 with ssh forwarding, DISPLAY=localhost:10.0 - works ok.
> Because gnu make is not the default on the BSD's, I changed toplevel
> Makefile:
>
> all:
>         cd lib; $(MAKE)
>         cd unixdom-0.1/src; $(MAKE)
>         cd widgets; $(MAKE)
>
> clean:
>         cd lib; $(MAKE) clean
>         cd widgets; $(MAKE) clean
>         cd unixdom-0.1/src; $(MAKE) clean
>
> Also paths for include and lib for jpeg lib had to be frobbed.

cored - wow.

  At a guess this is the  unix domain sockets. Try deleting the entire
directory with the unix domain sockets and running again

/Joe

> On i386 Solaris 9 with ssh forwarding, no joy. It sat there for a
> couple minutes with no display. I was about to kill it when it cored.
>
> No startup_error_report was written. Note DISPLAY is xyzzy.vail:11.0,
> i.e. fqdn:display.screen.
>

> 1> Trying Host={ip,"localhost"} Display=11 Screen=0
> Connecting to tcp port:6011
> cannot connect reason:etimedout
> Trying Host=unix Display=11 Screen=0
> Connecting to unix domain socket:11
> Port opened sending cookie:
> gmake[1]: *** [all] Segmentation Fault (core dumped)
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/export/home/hal/ex11/release-2.5/widgets'
> gmake: *** [all] Error 2
>

> There was more minor config stuff for the makefiles on this system -
> utils are in /usr/pkg, not /usr/local, not /opt/sfw. gcc is not in
> PATH, etc.
>

> Thanks.

Announce EX11 release 2.5

Hal Snyder-2
Joe Armstrong <joe> writes:

> cored - wow.
>
> At a guess this is the unix domain sockets. Try deleting the entire
> directory with the unix domain sockets and running again

Starting over but deleting the unixdom directory before build gives
same result on i386 Solaris 9, no display, eventual core. However,
after doing string replace of every occurrence of "localhost" with
"xyzzy.vail", the demo runs.

Note hostname command returns xyzzy.vail and DISPLAY is xyzzy.vail:11.0.

>> On i386 Solaris 9 with ssh forwarding, no joy. It sat there for a
>> couple minutes with no display. I was about to kill it when it cored.
>>
>> No startup_error_report was written. Note DISPLAY is xyzzy.vail:11.0,
>> i.e. fqdn:display.screen.
>>

>> 1> Trying Host={ip,"localhost"} Display=11 Screen=0
>> Connecting to tcp port:6011
>> cannot connect reason:etimedout
>> Trying Host=unix Display=11 Screen=0
>> Connecting to unix domain socket:11
>> Port opened sending cookie:
>> gmake[1]: *** [all] Segmentation Fault (core dumped)
>> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/export/home/hal/ex11/release-2.5/widgets'
>> gmake: *** [all] Error 2

Announce EX11 release 2.5

Gerd Flaig-2
Joe Armstrong <joe> writes:

>   The  latest  release  is  release-2.5  - this  is  an  "in  between"
> release. release-2.5 contains many undocumented widgets, the intention
> of release-2.5 it merely to test that the initialization routines work
> correctly.

wow. The first version where I actually get a window.

Btw. is it my window manager or is window resizing not yet supported?
When I open the scrollable text example and resize the window, the
text widget does not resize.

      Goodbyte, Gerd.
--
Gerd Flaig                     Technik                gerd
Bei Schlund + Partner AG       Brauerstra?e 48      D-76135 Karlsruhe

Announce EX11 release 2.5

Joe Williams-2
On Thu, 13 May 2004, Gerd Flaig wrote:

> Joe Armstrong <joe> writes:
>
> >   The  latest  release  is  release-2.5  - this  is  an  "in  between"
> > release. release-2.5 contains many undocumented widgets, the intention
> > of release-2.5 it merely to test that the initialization routines work
> > correctly.
>
> wow. The first version where I actually get a window.

Great

> Btw. is it my window manager or is window resizing not yet supported?
> When I open the scrollable text example and resize the window, the
> text widget does not resize.

The widget does not catch the window resize event - this has to be
handled in the wiget itself and is not automatic

/Joe