Announce EX11 release 2.5

Richard A. O'Keefe
Tomas Pihl (AL/EAB) wrote:
        >Point your Makefile to /opt/pub/{include|lib}.

Bengt Kleberg <bengt.kleberg> replied:
        while i am unsure about the general applicability to solaris,
        i thank you for this advice.

He is right to be cautious.  I have Solaris 2.9 on my UltraSPARC.
THERE IS NO /opt/pub/ DIRECTORY AT ALL.

I do, however, have
/usr/local/lib/libjpeg.a
/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.0.100/loaders/libpixbufloader-jpeg.so
/usr/dt/lib/libjmjpeg.so
I think that /usr/local/lib/libjeg.a is the JPEG library.
However, jpeglib.h isn't the /usr/local.
/usr/sfw/include/jpeglib.h
is where the header went, and it goes with
usr/sfw/lib/libjpeg.la
/usr/sfw/lib/libjpeg.so
/usr/sfw/lib/libjpeg.so.62
/usr/sfw/lib/libjpeg.so.62.0.0

But that's Solaris 2.9.  What about Solaris 2.8 (SunOS 5.8)?
Well, there isn't any /opt/pub/ there either.
On my 2.8 machine, there are a couple of libjpeg* files floating
around, but they are part of Java.

Bottom line:  don't rely on finding a usable copy of the JPEG library
in Solaris at all, and don't rely on anyone else who _does_ have it
finding it where you find it.

Announce EX11 release 2.5

Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB)

On Thu, 13 May 2004 14:57:24 +1200 (NZST), Richard A. O'Keefe
<ok> wrote:

> Bottom line:  don't rely on finding a usable copy of the JPEG library
> in Solaris at all, and don't rely on anyone else who _does_ have it
> finding it where you find it.

In this particular case, the advice worked, since Thomas and
Bengt work in the same office. It would perhaps have been
appropriate to be more clear about this in the exchange, or
indeed backmail the advice, since (as Thomas well knows) it
was not generic.  (:

/Uffe

--
Ulf Wiger