Any advice to a Java webhost company about Erlang hosting?

12

Any advice to a Java webhost company about Erlang hosting?

Michael Turner-2
I've need Java hosting. Legacy code in some cases, Unobtainium in
Erlang for others.

I've got Java hosting. I like the guy who does it. He's been doing it
a long time. He's good at it. He's responsive. But he's hurting
because of cloud services. He needs a new angle.

I google on Erlang hosting. First link: somebody asking "where are the
Erlang hosts?" Answer: sorry.

  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5244703/hosting-for-erlang-application

... followed by a couple of recommendations to my host's competition
for VPS and whatever.

It looks like there's still a need to be filled - snap-together Erlang
hosting - and some people looking for their next move in web hosting.
This might be it. I guess in the case of Java web hosts, Erjang would
be a place to start. Any suggestions?

I can't exactly make a career of this at the moment, it's just an
idea, but if it could eventually help somebody, and help get me
Erlang's advantages ....

Regards,
Michael Turner
Executive Director
Project Persephone
K-1 bldg 3F
7-2-6 Nishishinjuku
Shinjuku-ku Tokyo 160-0023
Tel: +81 (3) 6890-1140
Fax: +81 (3) 6890-1158
Mobile: +81 (90) 5203-8682
turner
http://www.projectpersephone.org/

"Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward
together in the same direction." -- Antoine de Saint-Exup?ry

Any advice to a Java webhost company about Erlang hosting?

Vlad Dumitrescu-5
Hi!

http://appfog.com is advertising that it supports Erlang. Last time I
checked, for some months ago, it wasn't available yet (but it was
advertised). Check it out.

regards,
Vlad

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 12:22 PM, Michael Turner <
michael.eugene.turner> wrote:

> I've need Java hosting. Legacy code in some cases, Unobtainium in
> Erlang for others.
>
> I've got Java hosting. I like the guy who does it. He's been doing it
> a long time. He's good at it. He's responsive. But he's hurting
> because of cloud services. He needs a new angle.
>
> I google on Erlang hosting. First link: somebody asking "where are the
> Erlang hosts?" Answer: sorry.
>

> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5244703/hosting-for-erlang-application
>
> ... followed by a couple of recommendations to my host's competition
> for VPS and whatever.
>
> It looks like there's still a need to be filled - snap-together Erlang
> hosting - and some people looking for their next move in web hosting.
> This might be it. I guess in the case of Java web hosts, Erjang would
> be a place to start. Any suggestions?
>
> I can't exactly make a career of this at the moment, it's just an
> idea, but if it could eventually help somebody, and help get me
> Erlang's advantages ....
>
> Regards,
> Michael Turner
> Executive Director
> Project Persephone
> K-1 bldg 3F
> 7-2-6 Nishishinjuku
> Shinjuku-ku Tokyo 160-0023
> Tel: +81 (3) 6890-1140
> Fax: +81 (3) 6890-1158
> Mobile: +81 (90) 5203-8682
> turner
> http://www.projectpersephone.org/
>
> "Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward
> together in the same direction." -- Antoine de Saint-Exup?ry

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Any advice to a Java webhost company about Erlang hosting?

Dmitry Kolesnikov
Hi,

AWS EC2

- Dmitry

On 05 Feb 2014, at 13:26, Vlad Dumitrescu <vladdu55> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> http://appfog.com is advertising that it supports Erlang. Last time I checked, for some months ago, it wasn't available yet (but it was advertised). Check it out.
>
> regards,
> Vlad
>

> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 12:22 PM, Michael Turner <michael.eugene.turner> wrote:
> I've need Java hosting. Legacy code in some cases, Unobtainium in
> Erlang for others.
>
> I've got Java hosting. I like the guy who does it. He's been doing it
> a long time. He's good at it. He's responsive. But he's hurting
> because of cloud services. He needs a new angle.
>
> I google on Erlang hosting. First link: somebody asking "where are the
> Erlang hosts?" Answer: sorry.
>
>   http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5244703/hosting-for-erlang-application
>
> ... followed by a couple of recommendations to my host's competition
> for VPS and whatever.
>
> It looks like there's still a need to be filled - snap-together Erlang
> hosting - and some people looking for their next move in web hosting.
> This might be it. I guess in the case of Java web hosts, Erjang would
> be a place to start. Any suggestions?
>
> I can't exactly make a career of this at the moment, it's just an
> idea, but if it could eventually help somebody, and help get me
> Erlang's advantages ....
>
> Regards,
> Michael Turner
> Executive Director
> Project Persephone
> K-1 bldg 3F
> 7-2-6 Nishishinjuku
> Shinjuku-ku Tokyo 160-0023
> Tel: +81 (3) 6890-1140
> Fax: +81 (3) 6890-1158
> Mobile: +81 (90) 5203-8682
> turner
> http://www.projectpersephone.org/
>
> "Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward
> together in the same direction." -- Antoine de Saint-Exup?ry

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Any advice to a Java webhost company about Erlang hosting?

Loïc Hoguin-2
Pardon my ignorance but what does a Java hosting company do exactly
compared to just getting a server?

I ask because for my small Erlang apps I just have a 3?/month dedicated
and have next to no admin to do once a quick initial setup as I just
push releases to it (the machine doesn't have nor need Erlang installed).

Supporting medium to big Erlang apps would require something closer to a
basic "cloud" but same story past that point, just push the releases and
be done with it.

On 02/05/2014 12:22 PM, Michael Turner wrote:

> I've need Java hosting. Legacy code in some cases, Unobtainium in
> Erlang for others.
>
> I've got Java hosting. I like the guy who does it. He's been doing it
> a long time. He's good at it. He's responsive. But he's hurting
> because of cloud services. He needs a new angle.
>
> I google on Erlang hosting. First link: somebody asking "where are the
> Erlang hosts?" Answer: sorry.
>
>    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5244703/hosting-for-erlang-application
>
> ... followed by a couple of recommendations to my host's competition
> for VPS and whatever.
>
> It looks like there's still a need to be filled - snap-together Erlang
> hosting - and some people looking for their next move in web hosting.
> This might be it. I guess in the case of Java web hosts, Erjang would
> be a place to start. Any suggestions?
>
> I can't exactly make a career of this at the moment, it's just an
> idea, but if it could eventually help somebody, and help get me
> Erlang's advantages ....
>
> Regards,
> Michael Turner
> Executive Director
> Project Persephone
> K-1 bldg 3F
> 7-2-6 Nishishinjuku
> Shinjuku-ku Tokyo 160-0023
> Tel: +81 (3) 6890-1140
> Fax: +81 (3) 6890-1158
> Mobile: +81 (90) 5203-8682
> turner
> http://www.projectpersephone.org/
>
> "Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward
> together in the same direction." -- Antoine de Saint-Exup?ry

Lo?c Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu

Any advice to a Java webhost company about Erlang hosting?

Vance Shipley-2
On Feb 5, 2014 5:01 PM, "Lo?c Hoguin" <essen> wrote:

> Pardon my ignorance but what does a Java hosting company do exactly
compared to just getting a server?

When I hear "Java hosting" or "Erlang hosting" I think of cloud
environments which provide JVM or BEAM virtual machines (emulators) where
you aren't bothered by operating systems. You pay for instances of the VMs
and transactional bandwidth. This is what Google AppEngine provides for
Java, Python and Go.  I've developed cloud services using Go on Appengine
and it was wonderfully clean and simple.

One future for Erlang may be the LING VM from http://erlangonxen.com which
runs directly on the Xen hypervisor which is wicked cool. I've got big hope
for this.

But in practice I'm sure that it means Linux VMs with Erlang/OTP
preinstalled.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Any advice to a Java webhost company about Erlang hosting?

Michael Turner-2
> Pardon my ignorance but what does a Java hosting company do exactly compared to just getting a server?

I love it when people say "just" about things like this. I'd like to
get them slightly drunk and make them a bet: for every minute /under/
the amount they estimate that setup will take, I'll pay them $5. For
every minute /over/ their estimate, /I/ get $5. I'd probably be able
to retire early just by going to hacker meetups and offering to buy a
round for everybody at a bar nearby.

> wonderfully clean and simple.

Yes. Please.

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 9:44 PM, Vance Shipley <vances> wrote:

> On Feb 5, 2014 5:01 PM, "Lo?c Hoguin" <essen> wrote:
>>
>> Pardon my ignorance but what does a Java hosting company do exactly
>> compared to just getting a server?
>
> When I hear "Java hosting" or "Erlang hosting" I think of cloud environments
> which provide JVM or BEAM virtual machines (emulators) where you aren't
> bothered by operating systems. You pay for instances of the VMs and
> transactional bandwidth. This is what Google AppEngine provides for Java,
> Python and Go.  I've developed cloud services using Go on Appengine and it
> was wonderfully clean and simple.
>
> One future for Erlang may be the LING VM from http://erlangonxen.com which
> runs directly on the Xen hypervisor which is wicked cool. I've got big hope
> for this.
>
> But in practice I'm sure that it means Linux VMs with Erlang/OTP
> preinstalled.

Any advice to a Java webhost company about Erlang hosting?

Ivan Uemlianin-2
Isn't (part of) the point of erlang releases that you don't need erlang pre-installed?

Ivan

--
festina lente

> On 5 Feb 2014, at 12:44, Vance Shipley <vances> wrote:
>

> On Feb 5, 2014 5:01 PM, "Lo?c Hoguin" <essen> wrote:
> >
> > Pardon my ignorance but what does a Java hosting company do exactly compared to just getting a server?
>
> When I hear "Java hosting" or "Erlang hosting" I think of cloud environments which provide JVM or BEAM virtual machines (emulators) where you aren't bothered by operating systems. You pay for instances of the VMs and transactional bandwidth. This is what Google AppEngine provides for Java, Python and Go.  I've developed cloud services using Go on Appengine and it was wonderfully clean and simple.
>
> One future for Erlang may be the LING VM from http://erlangonxen.com which runs directly on the Xen hypervisor which is wicked cool. I've got big hope for this.
>
> But in practice I'm sure that it means Linux VMs with Erlang/OTP preinstalled.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Any advice to a Java webhost company about Erlang hosting?

Dmitry Kolesnikov
Hello,

The release is extremely great feature, from my perspective.
You can product ?self? deployable packages with help of bash magic.
This makes not needs to have Erlang pre-installend on any of the target machines.

- Dmitry

On 05 Feb 2014, at 15:49, Ivan Uemlianin <ivan> wrote:

> Isn't (part of) the point of erlang releases that you don't need erlang pre-installed?
>
> Ivan
>
> --
> festina lente
>

> On 5 Feb 2014, at 12:44, Vance Shipley <vances> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 5, 2014 5:01 PM, "Lo?c Hoguin" <essen> wrote:
>> >
>> > Pardon my ignorance but what does a Java hosting company do exactly compared to just getting a server?
>>
>> When I hear "Java hosting" or "Erlang hosting" I think of cloud environments which provide JVM or BEAM virtual machines (emulators) where you aren't bothered by operating systems. You pay for instances of the VMs and transactional bandwidth. This is what Google AppEngine provides for Java, Python and Go.  I've developed cloud services using Go on Appengine and it was wonderfully clean and simple.
>>
>> One future for Erlang may be the LING VM from http://erlangonxen.com which runs directly on the Xen hypervisor which is wicked cool. I've got big hope for this.
>>
>> But in practice I'm sure that it means Linux VMs with Erlang/OTP preinstalled.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Any advice to a Java webhost company about Erlang hosting?

Sean Cribbs-3
I'm sure Tristan and Geoff will tell you, there is a buildpack that makes
it pretty easy to deploy Erlang applications on Heroku. It doesn't build
releases, but it does builds and deploys your project directly from a "git
push", which is pretty awesome.

https://github.com/archaelus/heroku-buildpack-erlang

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Dmitry Kolesnikov <dmkolesnikov>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The release is extremely great feature, from my perspective.
> You can product ?self? deployable packages with help of bash magic.
> This makes not needs to have Erlang pre-installend on any of the target
> machines.
>
> - Dmitry
>
> On 05 Feb 2014, at 15:49, Ivan Uemlianin <ivan> wrote:
>
> Isn't (part of) the point of erlang releases that you don't need erlang
> pre-installed?
>
> Ivan
>
> --
> festina lente
>

> On 5 Feb 2014, at 12:44, Vance Shipley <vances> wrote:
>

> On Feb 5, 2014 5:01 PM, "Lo?c Hoguin" <essen> wrote:
> >
> > Pardon my ignorance but what does a Java hosting company do exactly
> compared to just getting a server?
>
> When I hear "Java hosting" or "Erlang hosting" I think of cloud
> environments which provide JVM or BEAM virtual machines (emulators) where
> you aren't bothered by operating systems. You pay for instances of the VMs
> and transactional bandwidth. This is what Google AppEngine provides for
> Java, Python and Go.  I've developed cloud services using Go on Appengine
> and it was wonderfully clean and simple.
>
> One future for Erlang may be the LING VM from http://erlangonxen.comwhich runs directly on the Xen hypervisor which is wicked cool. I've got
> big hope for this.
>
> But in practice I'm sure that it means Linux VMs with Erlang/OTP
> preinstalled.

Sean Cribbs <sean>
Software Engineer
Basho Technologies, Inc.
http://basho.com/
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Any advice to a Java webhost company about Erlang hosting?

Mark Nijhof
That build pack seems out of date, I looked at this for a little while back
for a personal little thing but I think it was for r15. Is there an updated
fork, or does it just work?

-Mark

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 2:57 PM, Sean Cribbs <sean> wrote:

> I'm sure Tristan and Geoff will tell you, there is a buildpack that makes
> it pretty easy to deploy Erlang applications on Heroku. It doesn't build
> releases, but it does builds and deploys your project directly from a "git
> push", which is pretty awesome.
>
> https://github.com/archaelus/heroku-buildpack-erlang
>

> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Dmitry Kolesnikov <dmkolesnikov>wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> The release is extremely great feature, from my perspective.
>> You can product "self" deployable packages with help of bash magic.
>> This makes not needs to have Erlang pre-installend on any of the target
>> machines.
>>
>> - Dmitry
>>
>> On 05 Feb 2014, at 15:49, Ivan Uemlianin <ivan> wrote:
>>
>> Isn't (part of) the point of erlang releases that you don't need erlang
>> pre-installed?
>>
>> Ivan
>>
>> --
>> festina lente
>>

>> On 5 Feb 2014, at 12:44, Vance Shipley <vances> wrote:
>>

>> On Feb 5, 2014 5:01 PM, "Lo?c Hoguin" <essen> wrote:
>> >
>> > Pardon my ignorance but what does a Java hosting company do exactly
>> compared to just getting a server?
>>
>> When I hear "Java hosting" or "Erlang hosting" I think of cloud
>> environments which provide JVM or BEAM virtual machines (emulators) where
>> you aren't bothered by operating systems. You pay for instances of the VMs
>> and transactional bandwidth. This is what Google AppEngine provides for
>> Java, Python and Go.  I've developed cloud services using Go on Appengine
>> and it was wonderfully clean and simple.
>>
>> One future for Erlang may be the LING VM from http://erlangonxen.comwhich runs directly on the Xen hypervisor which is wicked cool. I've got
>> big hope for this.
>>
>> But in practice I'm sure that it means Linux VMs with Erlang/OTP
>> preinstalled.

> Sean Cribbs <sean>
> Software Engineer
> Basho Technologies, Inc.
> http://basho.com/

Mark Nijhof
t:   @MarkNijhof <https://twitter.com/MarkNijhof>
s:  marknijhof
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Any advice to a Java webhost company about Erlang hosting?

Dmitry Kolesnikov
Yes, I was following the Heroku progress. It looks awesome to me.
But we are still stack with old, good AWS EC2...

- Dmitry

On 02/05/2014 02:28 PM, Michael Turner wrote:
>> Pardon my ignorance but what does a Java hosting company do exactly compared to just getting a server?
>
> I love it when people say "just" about things like this. I'd like to
> get them slightly drunk and make them a bet: for every minute /under/
> the amount they estimate that setup will take, I'll pay them $5. For
> every minute /over/ their estimate, /I/ get $5. I'd probably be able
> to retire early just by going to hacker meetups and offering to buy a
> round for everybody at a bar nearby.

Perhaps instead of trying to be a smartass you could actually have
answered the question so people get a better idea what a Java hosting
company actually does? Not everyone has Java production experience here.

I only know Erlang myself. With Erlang, the only dependency you need on
top of the base system is openssl. Then you can use releases just fine.
Of course, openssl is already installed when you rent a server because
it's an openssh dependency. So you pretty much have nothing to install.

So the only setup you actually need to do is customize the environment
like you want to, which you have to do regardless of the hosting
solution. For example changing a few sysctl values, opening ports or
creating a couple users. Things a script does just fine, if you need to
automate it.

Past initial setup, you do have to upgrade the server yourself, but this
only takes me at most a few minutes per upgrade with Arch Linux, because
this is a rolling release and I already did the same operation for my
laptop so I already know if there's something other than pacman -Syu
that needs to be done. And since this is just a base system + openssl,
the updates are actually very few.

If I have ten servers, then I just use cssh or similar and do the ten
servers in one go so the time it takes to handle more servers is barely
more than the time it takes to handle one.

Hence my question. What do Java hosting companies do and what benefits
do you have going with a company compared to doing it yourself?

I do not think there is any benefit to going with an Erlang hosting
company unless it provides some sort of elastic cloud along with
advanced tools to quickly manage or inspect the running nodes. For
example a way to remove a node from receiving external requests
temporarily to inspect its state and debug an issue without having to
fight for resources or risk inconveniencing users. But that's only
needed by medium to big systems, plenty of smaller applications couldn't
care less about it.

--
Lo?c Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu

Any advice to a Java webhost company about Erlang hosting?

Dmitry Kolesnikov
Hello,

One small correction here.
You do not need openssl as dependencies if you disable dynamic-ssl while building OTP.
In this case release becomes self-containing (unless you are using some other features like jinterface, wx, etc).

- Dmitry

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 11:28 PM, Lo?c Hoguin <essen> wrote:

> On 02/05/2014 02:28 PM, Michael Turner wrote:
>>>
>>> Pardon my ignorance but what does a Java hosting company do exactly
>>> compared to just getting a server?
>>

>> I love it when people say "just" about things like this. I'd like to
>> get them slightly drunk and make them a bet: for every minute /under/
>> the amount they estimate that setup will take, I'll pay them $5. For
>> every minute /over/ their estimate, /I/ get $5. I'd probably be able
>> to retire early just by going to hacker meetups and offering to buy a
>> round for everybody at a bar nearby.
>

> Perhaps instead of trying to be a smartass you could actually have answered
> the question so people get a better idea what a Java hosting company
> actually does? Not everyone has Java production experience here.

Neither do I, actually. I was asking out of curiosity, since he did
mention this business problem.

The actual service is this:

  http://www.metawerx.net/

I don't even know if it's typical -- but he's in Australia, I'm in
Japan, and I like the rough time-zone alignment for purposes of
support.

> Hence my question. What do Java hosting companies do and what benefits do
> you have going with a company compared to doing it yourself?

It gives me access to someone who has long experience specializing in
something I know almost nothing about, and who apparently feels a
sense of obligation about making stuff work for his customers. I've
struggled with a couple of other hosting companies (on other tasks,
not Java-related) where tech support was wretchedly bad, from people
who were ignorant, ultimately leaving me to figure things out on my
own, and who tried to cover up their ignorance when it was pointed
out. This is, if nothing else, a refreshing change.

I'm sorry I gave such offense with my idea of how to make money from
techie overestimates of task completion times. You're welcome to use
it to make money yourself, since I have no business-model patent on
it. I'm sure you'll make at least $60 on your first night.

-michael turner

Any advice to a Java webhost company about Erlang hosting?

Ivan Uemlianin-2
Come to think of it I think the RELEASE people (and @erlangsolutions) are working on some kind of erlang-centric cloud orchestration webapp thing. They presented about it last December at a workshop in London just after #codemesh.

https://www.erlang-solutions.com/about/news/erlang-solutions-hosts-release-project-workshop-6-december

Ivan

--
festina lente

> On 5 Feb 2014, at 14:28, Lo?c Hoguin <essen> wrote:
>
> On 02/05/2014 02:28 PM, Michael Turner wrote:
>>> Pardon my ignorance but what does a Java hosting company do exactly compared to just getting a server?
>>
>> I love it when people say "just" about things like this. I'd like to
>> get them slightly drunk and make them a bet: for every minute /under/
>> the amount they estimate that setup will take, I'll pay them $5. For
>> every minute /over/ their estimate, /I/ get $5. I'd probably be able
>> to retire early just by going to hacker meetups and offering to buy a
>> round for everybody at a bar nearby.
>
> Perhaps instead of trying to be a smartass you could actually have answered the question so people get a better idea what a Java hosting company actually does? Not everyone has Java production experience here.
>
> I only know Erlang myself. With Erlang, the only dependency you need on top of the base system is openssl. Then you can use releases just fine. Of course, openssl is already installed when you rent a server because it's an openssh dependency. So you pretty much have nothing to install.
>
> So the only setup you actually need to do is customize the environment like you want to, which you have to do regardless of the hosting solution. For example changing a few sysctl values, opening ports or creating a couple users. Things a script does just fine, if you need to automate it.
>
> Past initial setup, you do have to upgrade the server yourself, but this only takes me at most a few minutes per upgrade with Arch Linux, because this is a rolling release and I already did the same operation for my laptop so I already know if there's something other than pacman -Syu that needs to be done. And since this is just a base system + openssl, the updates are actually very few.
>
> If I have ten servers, then I just use cssh or similar and do the ten servers in one go so the time it takes to handle more servers is barely more than the time it takes to handle one.
>
> Hence my question. What do Java hosting companies do and what benefits do you have going with a company compared to doing it yourself?
>
> I do not think there is any benefit to going with an Erlang hosting company unless it provides some sort of elastic cloud along with advanced tools to quickly manage or inspect the running nodes. For example a way to remove a node from receiving external requests temporarily to inspect its state and debug an issue without having to fight for resources or risk inconveniencing users. But that's only needed by medium to big systems, plenty of smaller applications couldn't care less about it.
>
> --
> Lo?c Hoguin
> http://ninenines.eu

Any advice to a Java webhost company about Erlang hosting?

Fred Hebert
The buildpack at https://github.com/archaelus/heroku-buildpack-erlang
works with every release from R15B to R17B pre. The old one under
Heroku's own github account is deprecated and points to the one above.

Which OTP release to be used will be picked based on the
.preferred_otp_version file in your repository.

Regards,
Fred.

On 02/05, Mark Nijhof wrote:

> That build pack seems out of date, I looked at this for a little while back
> for a personal little thing but I think it was for r15. Is there an updated
> fork, or does it just work?
>
> -Mark
>

> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 2:57 PM, Sean Cribbs <sean> wrote:
>
> > I'm sure Tristan and Geoff will tell you, there is a buildpack that makes
> > it pretty easy to deploy Erlang applications on Heroku. It doesn't build
> > releases, but it does builds and deploys your project directly from a "git
> > push", which is pretty awesome.
> >
> > https://github.com/archaelus/heroku-buildpack-erlang
> >

> > On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Dmitry Kolesnikov <dmkolesnikov>wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> The release is extremely great feature, from my perspective.
> >> You can product "self" deployable packages with help of bash magic.
> >> This makes not needs to have Erlang pre-installend on any of the target
> >> machines.
> >>
> >> - Dmitry
> >>
> >> On 05 Feb 2014, at 15:49, Ivan Uemlianin <ivan> wrote:
> >>
> >> Isn't (part of) the point of erlang releases that you don't need erlang
> >> pre-installed?
> >>
> >> Ivan
> >>
> >> --
> >> festina lente

> >> compared to just getting a server?
> >>
> >> When I hear "Java hosting" or "Erlang hosting" I think of cloud
> >> environments which provide JVM or BEAM virtual machines (emulators) where
> >> you aren't bothered by operating systems. You pay for instances of the VMs
> >> and transactional bandwidth. This is what Google AppEngine provides for
> >> Java, Python and Go.  I've developed cloud services using Go on Appengine
> >> and it was wonderfully clean and simple.
> >>
> >> One future for Erlang may be the LING VM from http://erlangonxen.comwhich runs directly on the Xen hypervisor which is wicked cool. I've got
> >> big hope for this.
> >>
> >> But in practice I'm sure that it means Linux VMs with Erlang/OTP
> >> preinstalled.

> > --
> > Sean Cribbs <sean>
> > Software Engineer
> > Basho Technologies, Inc.
> > http://basho.com/

> Mark Nijhof
> t:   @MarkNijhof <https://twitter.com/MarkNijhof>
> s:  marknijhof

Any advice to a Java webhost company about Erlang hosting?

Mark Nijhof
Cool! Thanks Fred!

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 4:54 PM, Fred Hebert <mononcqc> wrote:

> The buildpack at https://github.com/archaelus/heroku-buildpack-erlang
> works with every release from R15B to R17B pre. The old one under
> Heroku's own github account is deprecated and points to the one above.
>
> Which OTP release to be used will be picked based on the
> .preferred_otp_version file in your repository.
>
> Regards,
> Fred.
>
> On 02/05, Mark Nijhof wrote:
> > That build pack seems out of date, I looked at this for a little while
> back
> > for a personal little thing but I think it was for r15. Is there an
> updated
> > fork, or does it just work?
> >
> > -Mark
> >

> > On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 2:57 PM, Sean Cribbs <sean> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm sure Tristan and Geoff will tell you, there is a buildpack that
> makes
> > > it pretty easy to deploy Erlang applications on Heroku. It doesn't
> build
> > > releases, but it does builds and deploys your project directly from a
> "git
> > > push", which is pretty awesome.
> > >
> > > https://github.com/archaelus/heroku-buildpack-erlang

> target

> erlang

> where
> the VMs
> for
> Appengine

> http://erlangonxen.comwhich runs directly on the Xen hypervisor which is
> wicked cool. I've got

> > > --
> > > Sean Cribbs <sean>
> > > Software Engineer
> > > Basho Technologies, Inc.
> > > http://basho.com/

> > --
> > Mark Nijhof
> > t:   @MarkNijhof <https://twitter.com/MarkNijhof>
> > s:  marknijhof

Mark Nijhof
t:   @MarkNijhof <https://twitter.com/MarkNijhof>
s:  marknijhof
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Any advice to a Java webhost company about Erlang hosting?

Eric Moritz
I'm a non-Heroku employee and I vouch for the ease of deploying Erlang on
Heroku.  The current build pack is here:

https://github.com/archaelus/heroku-buildpack-erlang it is up to R16B03.

You're also free to set a custom buildpack via the `heroku` CLI which can
be a fork of your project.

The build pack is just a collection of bash scripts that are run inside an
LXC container so you can customize it to your hearts content.

For instance Tristan added a "make dialyzer" command to his build pack to
crash the build if dialyzer fails:
https://github.com/tsloughter/heroku-buildpack-erlang-dialyzer/blob/master/bin/compile

The caveat with Heroku is nodes can't communicate with each other so
distributed Erlang isn't available.

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 9:10 AM, Dmitry Kolesnikov <dmkolesnikov>wrote:

> Yes, I was following the Heroku progress. It looks awesome to me.
> But we are still stack with old, good AWS EC2...
>
> - Dmitry
>
> On 05 Feb 2014, at 15:57, Sean Cribbs <sean> wrote:
>
> I'm sure Tristan and Geoff will tell you, there is a buildpack that makes
> it pretty easy to deploy Erlang applications on Heroku. It doesn't build
> releases, but it does builds and deploys your project directly from a "git
> push", which is pretty awesome.
>
> https://github.com/archaelus/heroku-buildpack-erlang
>

> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Dmitry Kolesnikov <dmkolesnikov>wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> The release is extremely great feature, from my perspective.
>> You can product "self" deployable packages with help of bash magic.
>> This makes not needs to have Erlang pre-installend on any of the target
>> machines.
>>
>> - Dmitry
>>
>> On 05 Feb 2014, at 15:49, Ivan Uemlianin <ivan> wrote:
>>
>> Isn't (part of) the point of erlang releases that you don't need erlang
>> pre-installed?
>>
>> Ivan
>>
>> --
>> festina lente
>>

>> On 5 Feb 2014, at 12:44, Vance Shipley <vances> wrote:
>>

>> On Feb 5, 2014 5:01 PM, "Lo?c Hoguin" <essen> wrote:
>> >
>> > Pardon my ignorance but what does a Java hosting company do exactly
>> compared to just getting a server?
>>
>> When I hear "Java hosting" or "Erlang hosting" I think of cloud
>> environments which provide JVM or BEAM virtual machines (emulators) where
>> you aren't bothered by operating systems. You pay for instances of the VMs
>> and transactional bandwidth. This is what Google AppEngine provides for
>> Java, Python and Go.  I've developed cloud services using Go on Appengine
>> and it was wonderfully clean and simple.
>>
>> One future for Erlang may be the LING VM from http://erlangonxen.comwhich runs directly on the Xen hypervisor which is wicked cool. I've got
>> big hope for this.
>>
>> But in practice I'm sure that it means Linux VMs with Erlang/OTP
>> preinstalled.

> Sean Cribbs <sean>
> Software Engineer
> Basho Technologies, Inc.
> http://basho.com/

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Any advice to a Java webhost company about Erlang hosting?

Garrett Smith
CloudBees supports running arbitrary stacks of software on our
platform. Erlang isn't a big customer ask as we are primary Java
focused (though Erlang runs all throughout our backend for managing
the system).

The Erlang support atm is not that visible - but I'd be very happy to
work with you personally to your apps working well. Ping me off life
if you're interested.

Garrett

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 11:05 AM, Eric Moritz <eric> wrote:

> [...]
>>> environments which provide JVM or BEAM virtual machines (emulators) where
>>> you aren't bothered by operating systems. You pay for instances of the VMs
>>> and transactional bandwidth. This is what Google AppEngine provides for
>>> Java, Python and Go.  I've developed cloud services using Go on Appengine
>>> and it was wonderfully clean and simple.
>>>
>>> One future for Erlang may be the LING VM from http://erlangonxen.com
>>> which runs directly on the Xen hypervisor which is wicked cool. I've got big
>>> hope for this.
>>>
>>> But in practice I'm sure that it means Linux VMs with Erlang/OTP
>>> preinstalled.

>> --
>> Sean Cribbs <sean>
>> Software Engineer
>> Basho Technologies, Inc.
>> http://basho.com/

Any advice to a Java webhost company about Erlang hosting?

Jesse Gumm-3
> Ping me off life

I believe that's called the ping of death.

(I'm here all night folks)