Are the wxWidgets bindings actively developed

Are the wxWidgets bindings actively developed

Albin Stigö-2
Hi,

Are the wxWidgets bindings under active development and recommended
for new applications?

I thinking about starting a new application. Are there any major known
limitations in the bindings? Looking at GitHub I see recent commits
but just want to make sure before I invest significant time.

--Albin

Re: Are the wxWidgets bindings actively developed

Dan Gudmundsson-2
Mostly bug-fixes nowadays, some new features are sneaked in here and there.

We are still basing it on wxWidgets-2.8 API, but you should be able to use anything from
wxWidgets 2.8.4 - 3.1.X (*) as a backend.

(*) If you enable 2.8 compatibility when compiling wxWidgets 3.1.X

But pull-requests are appreciated :-)

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 11:09 AM Albin Stigö <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Are the wxWidgets bindings under active development and recommended
for new applications?

I thinking about starting a new application. Are there any major known
limitations in the bindings? Looking at GitHub I see recent commits
but just want to make sure before I invest significant time.

--Albin

Re: Are the wxWidgets bindings actively developed

Albin Stigö-2
Thanks Dan, I will think about it! It's so damn hard to choose a GUI
library these days.

--Albin

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 11:33 AM Dan Gudmundsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mostly bug-fixes nowadays, some new features are sneaked in here and there.
>
> We are still basing it on wxWidgets-2.8 API, but you should be able to use anything from
> wxWidgets 2.8.4 - 3.1.X (*) as a backend.
>
> (*) If you enable 2.8 compatibility when compiling wxWidgets 3.1.X
>
> But pull-requests are appreciated :-)
>

> On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 11:09 AM Albin Stigö <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Are the wxWidgets bindings under active development and recommended
>> for new applications?
>>
>> I thinking about starting a new application. Are there any major known
>> limitations in the bindings? Looking at GitHub I see recent commits
>> but just want to make sure before I invest significant time.
>>

>> --Albin

Re: Are the wxWidgets bindings actively developed

Albin Stigö-2
Sounds good Dan, does the version of wxwidgets you are targeting support modern open gl >= 3 with shaders and vertex array objects, and does the Erlang bindings cover this?

I suspect OpenGL support is pretty good since you are using it for wings3d?

I'm thinking about writing a Software Defined Radio application with frontend in erlang/wxwidgets and a c++ node backend for DSP.

--Albin

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019, 12:22 Dan Gudmundsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Since I use it privately for wings3d it will be supported as long as I work here :-D

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 11:55 AM Albin Stigö <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Dan, I will think about it! It's so damn hard to choose a GUI
library these days.

--Albin

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 11:33 AM Dan Gudmundsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mostly bug-fixes nowadays, some new features are sneaked in here and there.
>
> We are still basing it on wxWidgets-2.8 API, but you should be able to use anything from
> wxWidgets 2.8.4 - 3.1.X (*) as a backend.
>
> (*) If you enable 2.8 compatibility when compiling wxWidgets 3.1.X
>
> But pull-requests are appreciated :-)
>

> On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 11:09 AM Albin Stigö <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Are the wxWidgets bindings under active development and recommended
>> for new applications?
>>
>> I thinking about starting a new application. Are there any major known
>> limitations in the bindings? Looking at GitHub I see recent commits
>> but just want to make sure before I invest significant time.
>>

>> --Albin

Re: Are the wxWidgets bindings actively developed

zxq9-2
On 2019年6月27日木曜日 11時09分29秒 JST Albin Stigö wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are the wxWidgets bindings under active development and recommended
> for new applications?
>
> I thinking about starting a new application. Are there any major known
> limitations in the bindings? Looking at GitHub I see recent commits
> but just want to make sure before I invest significant time.

I use them all the time!

Unfortunately tutorial material is a bit lacking, so if you aren't
already familiar with Wx from previous projects (Python, C++, etc.)
then I recommend running the wx:demo() and reading the source to it.

-Craig

On 2019年6月27日木曜日 11時33分28秒 JST Dan Gudmundsson wrote:
> Mostly bug-fixes nowadays, some new features are sneaked in here and there.
>
> We are still basing it on wxWidgets-2.8 API, but you should be able to use
> anything from
> wxWidgets 2.8.4 - 3.1.X (*) as a backend.
>
> (*) If you enable 2.8 compatibility when compiling wxWidgets 3.1.X
>
> But pull-requests are appreciated :-)

Is 3.1 not as universally available as 2.8, or are we in "ain't
broke, don't fix" mode in terms of forward migration?

Just curious.
I use wx all the time and am grateful to have a reliable GUI
binding at all -- not all languages have something comparable
built in to the distribution that actually works cross-platform.

-Craig

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 9:05 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 2019年6月27日木曜日 11時33分28秒 JST Dan Gudmundsson wrote:
> Mostly bug-fixes nowadays, some new features are sneaked in here and there.
>
> We are still basing it on wxWidgets-2.8 API, but you should be able to use
> anything from
> wxWidgets 2.8.4 - 3.1.X (*) as a backend.
>
> (*) If you enable 2.8 compatibility when compiling wxWidgets 3.1.X
>
> But pull-requests are appreciated :-)

Is 3.1 not as universally available as 2.8, or are we in "ain't
broke, don't fix" mode in terms of forward migration?

wxWidgets use even numbers as stable releases.
So 3.1  is not considered as a stable api, thus not available as pre-built packages
on many linux platforms.

The problem is that many bug-fixes are not backported to 3.0, (and there have not been one released for a while)
which causes some problems mostly on Mojave for instance.

The wx binding should be able to compile against either version, though I have not
added all new functionality in 3.0 and 3.1 releases.
Also, I use 2.8 api when generating the code, so it's hacky to add 3.0 and 3.1 functionality,
and I don't know how much work it will be to upgrade the code generator to be based on the new releases.

And we still have some old machines around which need wxWidgets 2.8 to be able to compile, sigh.

/dgud