Quantcast

Avoid ~/.erlang.cookie creation

Salikhov Dinislam
Hello,

Is there a way to prevent erl from creating $HOME/.erlang.cookie?
I run it as follows:
     erl -sname test_name -setcooke placeholder_cookie
And VM creates ~/.erlang.cookie with some random content.

--
Dinislam Salikhov | Senior Developer | Kaspersky Lab
39A/2 Leningradskoe shosse, Moscow, 125212, Russia | www.kaspersky.com

Re: Avoid ~/.erlang.cookie creation

Dmytro Lytovchenko
The correct command line argument is -cookie, single minus
-setcookie is deprecated
Also you have a typo in it — -setcooke

Is there a way to prevent erl from creating $HOME/.erlang.cookie?
I run it as follows:
    erl -sname test_name -setcooke placeholder_cookie
And VM creates ~/.erlang.cookie with some random content.

--
Dinislam Salikhov | Senior Developer | Kaspersky Lab
39A/2 Leningradskoe shosse, Moscow, 125212, Russia | www.kaspersky.com

Re: Avoid ~/.erlang.cookie creation

Dmitry Klionsky-2
Since when -setcookie is deprecated? It's -cookie is obsolete.
http://erlang.org/doc/man/erl.html

On 05/19/2017 12:13 PM, Dmytro Lytovchenko wrote:
The correct command line argument is -cookie, single minus
-setcookie is deprecated
Also you have a typo in it — -setcooke

Is there a way to prevent erl from creating $HOME/.erlang.cookie?
I run it as follows:
    erl -sname test_name -setcooke placeholder_cookie
And VM creates ~/.erlang.cookie with some random content.

--
Dinislam Salikhov | Senior Developer | Kaspersky Lab
39A/2 Leningradskoe shosse, Moscow, 125212, Russia | www.kaspersky.com

BR,
Dmitry

http://erlang.org/doc/man/erl.html says that -cookie is "obsolete flag without any effect".

> Also you have a typo in it — -setcooke

Ah, you're right. My bad. Thank you.

On 05/19/2017 12:13 PM, Dmytro Lytovchenko wrote:
The correct command line argument is -cookie, single minus
-setcookie is deprecated
Also you have a typo in it — -setcooke

Is there a way to prevent erl from creating $HOME/.erlang.cookie?
I run it as follows:
    erl -sname test_name -setcooke placeholder_cookie
And VM creates ~/.erlang.cookie with some random content.

--
Dinislam Salikhov | Senior Developer | Kaspersky Lab
39A/2 Leningradskoe shosse, Moscow, 125212, Russia | www.kaspersky.com

Dinislam Salikhov | Senior Developer | Kaspersky Lab
39A/2 Leningradskoe shosse, Moscow, 125212, Russia | www.kaspersky.com

Re: Avoid ~/.erlang.cookie creation

Dmytro Lytovchenko
Right, i always confuse -setcookie and -cookie
Not the nicest user experience with replacing a name with a similar name, and no actual error when the wrong one is used

> The correct command line argument is -cookie, single minus
> -setcookie is deprecated

http://erlang.org/doc/man/erl.html says that -cookie is "obsolete flag without any effect".

> Also you have a typo in it — -setcooke

Ah, you're right. My bad. Thank you.

On 05/19/2017 12:13 PM, Dmytro Lytovchenko wrote:
The correct command line argument is -cookie, single minus
-setcookie is deprecated
Also you have a typo in it — -setcooke

Is there a way to prevent erl from creating $HOME/.erlang.cookie?
I run it as follows:
    erl -sname test_name -setcooke placeholder_cookie
And VM creates ~/.erlang.cookie with some random content.

--
Dinislam Salikhov | Senior Developer | Kaspersky Lab
39A/2 Leningradskoe shosse, Moscow, 125212, Russia | www.kaspersky.com

Dinislam Salikhov | Senior Developer | Kaspersky Lab
39A/2 Leningradskoe shosse, Moscow, 125212, Russia | www.kaspersky.com

Re: Avoid ~/.erlang.cookie creation

Salikhov Dinislam
An afterthought:
Wouldn't it be useful if erl would warn about incorrect options passed?
IMO, it could reduce time to find some silly errors (like my own :) ).

On 05/19/2017 12:24 PM, Dmytro Lytovchenko wrote:
Right, i always confuse -setcookie and -cookie
Not the nicest user experience with replacing a name with a similar name, and no actual error when the wrong one is used

> The correct command line argument is -cookie, single minus
> -setcookie is deprecated

http://erlang.org/doc/man/erl.html says that -cookie is "obsolete flag without any effect".

> Also you have a typo in it — -setcooke

Ah, you're right. My bad. Thank you.

On 05/19/2017 12:13 PM, Dmytro Lytovchenko wrote:
The correct command line argument is -cookie, single minus
-setcookie is deprecated
Also you have a typo in it — -setcooke

Is there a way to prevent erl from creating $HOME/.erlang.cookie?
I run it as follows:
    erl -sname test_name -setcooke placeholder_cookie
And VM creates ~/.erlang.cookie with some random content.

--
Dinislam Salikhov | Senior Developer | Kaspersky Lab
39A/2 Leningradskoe shosse, Moscow, 125212, Russia | www.kaspersky.com

Dinislam Salikhov | Senior Developer | Kaspersky Lab
39A/2 Leningradskoe shosse, Moscow, 125212, Russia | www.kaspersky.com

--
Dinislam Salikhov | Senior Developer | Kaspersky Lab
39A/2 Leningradskoe shosse, Moscow, 125212, Russia | www.kaspersky.com

Re: Avoid ~/.erlang.cookie creation

Lukas Larsson-8
On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Salikhov Dinislam <[hidden email]> wrote:
An afterthought:
Wouldn't it be useful if erl would warn about incorrect options passed?
IMO, it could reduce time to find some silly errors (like my own :) ).

There is no way for erl to know what is a correct option or not. The -setcooke option could be something that you application gets via init:get_arguments() and uses.

If you pass an incorrect VM option (i.e. the options with the '+' prefix), you do get errors.

Lukas