Cleaning up the dialyzer interface

Robert Virding
Is anyone working on cleaning up the dialyzer interface? It does some strange things like for no discernable reason requiring all files to be either .erl files or .beam files and not allowing a combination. Also it it is not in any way extensible.

Robert

Re: Cleaning up the dialyzer interface

Robert Virding
Yes, I quite agree, as do most users, but you have to start somewhere. Sort of start at the beginning and work through to the end.

Robert

On 7 March 2017 at 08:35, Zachary Kessin <[hidden email]> wrote:
It would also be nice if it gave easier to understand error messages, or at least broke them across several lines to make them easier to read.

Zach

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 2:17 AM, Robert Virding <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is anyone working on cleaning up the dialyzer interface? It does some strange things like for no discernable reason requiring all files to be either .erl files or .beam files and not allowing a combination. Also it it is not in any way extensible.

Robert

Zach Kessin
Skype: zachkessin

Re: Cleaning up the dialyzer interface

Michael Truog
On 03/06/2017 04:17 PM, Robert Virding wrote:
> Is anyone working on cleaning up the dialyzer interface? It does some strange things like for no discernable reason requiring all files to be either .erl files or .beam files and not allowing a combination. Also it it is not in any way extensible.

It might be better to consider removing the dialyzer interface and just focus on making the command-line use of dialyzer as efficient as possible, so it may always be part of per-commit regression testing.  The dialyzer UI interface is attempting to promote manual use of dialyzer, which isn't a common use-case.  Also, often UI creates development burden that leads to source code becoming more inefficient (like comparing Thunderbird and mutt for email).  While it is easy to expect a perfect outcome with a UI implementation, I don't believe it is realistic or helpful for normal (required/critical) use of dialyzer.

Best Regards,
Michael

Re: Cleaning up the dialyzer interface

Robert Virding
I forgot to add this example:

Why can't I write:

$ dialyzer foo.erl bar.beam

there is no logical or practical reason.