Code style and formatting tools

Daniil Churikov-2
Hello list. It's been a while since I've researched this subject, but let me ask you a question: is there a tool chain to check erlang's code style and formatting? And general agreement on some settings for these tools.

Last time I've checked the advice was to use elvis (there was no agreement on the general set of rules, every other person had exceptions). And for formatting advice was to use external emac's formatter. Does this still hold?

Thanks!

Re: Code style and formatting tools

Roger Lipscombe-2
On formatting: https://tech.nextroll.com/blog/dev/2020/02/25/erlang-rebar3-format.html
(disclaimer: I've not yet tried it)

On Wed, 13 May 2020 at 21:25, Daniil Churikov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello list. It's been a while since I've researched this subject, but let me ask you a question: is there a tool chain to check erlang's code style and formatting? And general agreement on some settings for these tools.
>
> Last time I've checked the advice was to use elvis (there was no agreement on the general set of rules, every other person had exceptions). And for formatting advice was to use external emac's formatter. Does this still hold?
>
> Thanks!

Re: Code style and formatting tools

Mark Jones
Also might want to look at

I've also not tried this yet but will be soon.

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 4:20 PM Roger Lipscombe <[hidden email]> wrote:
On formatting: https://tech.nextroll.com/blog/dev/2020/02/25/erlang-rebar3-format.html
(disclaimer: I've not yet tried it)

On Wed, 13 May 2020 at 21:25, Daniil Churikov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello list. It's been a while since I've researched this subject, but let me ask you a question: is there a tool chain to check erlang's code style and formatting? And general agreement on some settings for these tools.
>
> Last time I've checked the advice was to use elvis (there was no agreement on the general set of rules, every other person had exceptions). And for formatting advice was to use external emac's formatter. Does this still hold?
>
> Thanks!

Re: Code style and formatting tools

Daniil Churikov-2
Thanks Roger. I quite like the approach with different profiles, so no one has to compromise. Genius.

On Wed, 13 May 2020, 22:20 Roger Lipscombe, <[hidden email]> wrote:
On formatting: https://tech.nextroll.com/blog/dev/2020/02/25/erlang-rebar3-format.html
(disclaimer: I've not yet tried it)

On Wed, 13 May 2020 at 21:25, Daniil Churikov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello list. It's been a while since I've researched this subject, but let me ask you a question: is there a tool chain to check erlang's code style and formatting? And general agreement on some settings for these tools.
>
> Last time I've checked the advice was to use elvis (there was no agreement on the general set of rules, every other person had exceptions). And for formatting advice was to use external emac's formatter. Does this still hold?
>
> Thanks!

Re: Code style and formatting tools

Brujo Benavides-3
Hi Daniil,

These days there are two rebar3 plugins for that:
There are alternatives for the formatter, but… being one of the maintainers of both Elvis and rebar3 format (about which I'll be giving a talk at CodeBEAM V)… I'll let others talk about them :)

Brujo Benavides
about.me/elbrujohalcon

Re: Code style and formatting tools

Daniil Churikov-2
Thanks, Fernando and Mark. I'd definitely try both. It's a bit of shame on one hand that both of these tools came out of two powerful companies (whatsapp and addroll) and still not consolidated into one robust tool. On the other hand it's good to have a choice.

--
Brujo Benavides
about.me/elbrujohalcon