Coon - new tool for building Erlang packages, dependency management and deploying Erlang services

1234 ... 6

Coon - new tool for building Erlang packages, dependency management and deploying Erlang services

Valery Tikhonov
Hi,
I would like to introduce Сoon - build and dependency management system and tool for easy deployment Erlang packages.
In short:
  • coon uses prebuilt packages from CoonHub, what reduces build time
  • thanks to github integration it allows to trigger new builds for Erlang packages when commiting new tag in repo
  • you can set installation steps to deploy and run Erlang service from prebuilt package on system without otp/Erlang installed with `coon install namespace/name`

Documentation, articles and links:

coon (client) - https://github.com/comtihon/coon see Readme.md and doc folder

coon_auto_builder (server) - https://github.com/comtihon/coon_auto_builder

how to create and build Erlang service from scratch https://justtech.blog/2018/01/07/create-erlang-service-with-coon/

how to prepare Erlang service for deploy https://justtech.blog/2018/02/11/erlang-service-easy-deploy-with-coon/

example service which uses coon https://github.com/comtihon/example_service

example library which uses coon https://github.com/comtihon/mongodb-erlang

Hope you find this tool useful :)

Re: Coon - new tool for building Erlang packages, dependency management and deploying Erlang services

Michael Nisi
Naming things is hard.

On 12. Feb 2018, at 14:17, Fred Hebert <[hidden email]> wrote:

Are you aware of the connotations coming with that name?

Re: Coon - new tool for building Erlang packages, dependency management and deploying Erlang services

Nathaniel Waisbrot
I really like the idea of getting pre-built dependencies, so I'm sad that you didn't build this in the Rebar3/Mix/Hex ecosystem. Did you try that and run into problems?

To make Fred's comment more explicit: in the USA "coon" is a slur for black people and the first thing that the name "CoonHub" brings to my mind is the Reddit forum that was shut down for being too virulently racist. I don't think there's any way to use that name and not have people think "is this some kind of pro-racist package manager?"

On Feb 11, 2018, at 4:05 PM, Valery Tikhonov <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Loïc Hoguin-3
More importantly, who is aware of them? I doubt too many people outside
of North America know about it.

And secondly, should you censor a word that's otherwise perfectly fine
because of its use in slang? It'll get some radical activists angry for
sure so it depends on whether you see this as a good or a bad thing.
Nowadays that tends to be a good thing.

Most people will not think twice about it.

On 02/12/2018 02:17 PM, Fred Hebert wrote:

> Are you aware of the connotations coming with that name?
>
> On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 4:05 PM, Valery Tikhonov
>
>     Hi,
>     I would like to introduce Сoon <https://github.com/comtihon/coon> -
>     build and dependency management system and tool for easy deployment
>     Erlang packages.
>     In short:
>
>       * coon uses prebuilt packages from CoonHub
>         <https://coon.justtech.blog>, what reduces build time
>       * thanks to github integration it allows to trigger new builds for
>         Erlang packages when commiting new tag in repo
>       * you can set installation steps to deploy and run Erlang service
>         from prebuilt package on system without otp/Erlang installed
>         with `coon install namespace/name`
>
>     Documentation, articles and links:
>
>     coon (client) - https://github.com/comtihon/coon
>     <https://github.com/comtihon/coon> see Readme.md and doc folder
>
>     coon_auto_builder (server) -
>     https://github.com/comtihon/coon_auto_builder
>     <https://github.com/comtihon/coon_auto_builder>
>
>     how to create and build Erlang service from scratch
>     https://justtech.blog/2018/01/07/create-erlang-service-with-coon/
>     <https://justtech.blog/2018/01/07/create-erlang-service-with-coon/>
>
>     how to prepare Erlang service for deploy
>     https://justtech.blog/2018/02/11/erlang-service-easy-deploy-with-coon/
>     <https://justtech.blog/2018/02/11/erlang-service-easy-deploy-with-coon/>
>
>     example service which uses coon
>     https://github.com/comtihon/example_service
>     <https://github.com/comtihon/example_service>
>
>     example library which uses coon
>     https://github.com/comtihon/mongodb-erlang
>     <https://github.com/comtihon/mongodb-erlang>
>
>     Hope you find this tool useful :)

Loïc Hoguin
https://ninenines.eu

Re: Coon - new tool for building Erlang packages, dependency management and deploying Erlang services

Dmytro Lytovchenko
This one, also depicted in the latest South Park game, is what first comes to mind. I am not spoiled with all that slang too.

Not sure how this hero could assist with packaging anything but the name is fine.

On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 4:05 PM, Valery Tikhonov <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

Joshua Barney
One would presume that all the black persons who have been called in an effort to reduce them to rabid animals hunted for sport by white men with dogs would be aware. That?s the import thing about racial slurs, not that you are unhurt, but that someone else is hurt.

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 9:04 AM Lo?c Hoguin <[hidden email]> wrote:
More importantly, who is aware of them? I doubt too many people outside
of North America know about it.

And secondly, should you censor a word that's otherwise perfectly fine
because of its use in slang? It'll get some radical activists angry for
sure so it depends on whether you see this as a good or a bad thing.
Nowadays that tends to be a good thing.

Most people will not think twice about it.

On 02/12/2018 02:17 PM, Fred Hebert wrote:

> Are you aware of the connotations coming with that name?
>
> On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 4:05 PM, Valery Tikhonov
>
> Hi,
> I would like to introduce ?oon <https://github.com/comtihon/coon> -
> build and dependency management system and tool for easy deployment
> Erlang packages.
> In short:
>
> * coon uses prebuilt packages from CoonHub
> <https://coon.justtech.blog>, what reduces build time
> * thanks to github integration it allows to trigger new builds for
> Erlang packages when commiting new tag in repo
> * you can set installation steps to deploy and run Erlang service
> from prebuilt package on system without otp/Erlang installed
> with `coon install namespace/name`
>
> Documentation, articles and links:
>
> coon (client) - https://github.com/comtihon/coon
> <https://github.com/comtihon/coon> see Readme.md and doc folder
>
> coon_auto_builder (server) -
> https://github.com/comtihon/coon_auto_builder
> <https://github.com/comtihon/coon_auto_builder>
>
> how to create and build Erlang service from scratch
> https://justtech.blog/2018/01/07/create-erlang-service-with-coon/
> <https://justtech.blog/2018/01/07/create-erlang-service-with-coon/>
>
> how to prepare Erlang service for deploy
> https://justtech.blog/2018/02/11/erlang-service-easy-deploy-with-coon/
> <https://justtech.blog/2018/02/11/erlang-service-easy-deploy-with-coon/>
>
> example service which uses coon
> https://github.com/comtihon/example_service
> <https://github.com/comtihon/example_service>
>
> example library which uses coon
> https://github.com/comtihon/mongodb-erlang
> <https://github.com/comtihon/mongodb-erlang>
>
> Hope you find this tool useful :)

Lo?c Hoguin
https://ninenines.eu

Re: Coon - new tool for building Erlang packages, dependency management and deploying Erlang services

Nathaniel Waisbrot
As an American: most Americans working in a professional capacity would absolutely think twice about it.

You don't need to to get upset: nobody's forcing anyone to change names. However, it's good to have information so that we can make informed decisions.

Actually, I'd suggest that the way you immediately drew up battle lines about this is a good clue as to how some names will be received and why people might want to avoid such names.

> On Feb 12, 2018, at 9:04 AM, Loïc Hoguin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> More importantly, who is aware of them? I doubt too many people outside of North America know about it.
>
> And secondly, should you censor a word that's otherwise perfectly fine because of its use in slang? It'll get some radical activists angry for sure so it depends on whether you see this as a good or a bad thing. Nowadays that tends to be a good thing.
>
> Most people will not think twice about it.
>
> On 02/12/2018 02:17 PM, Fred Hebert wrote:
>> Are you aware of the connotations coming with that name?
>> On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 4:05 PM, Valery Tikhonov <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>    Hi,
>>    I would like to introduce Сoon <https://github.com/comtihon/coon> -
>>    build and dependency management system and tool for easy deployment
>>    Erlang packages.
>>    In short:
>>      * coon uses prebuilt packages from CoonHub
>>        <https://coon.justtech.blog>, what reduces build time
>>      * thanks to github integration it allows to trigger new builds for
>>        Erlang packages when commiting new tag in repo
>>      * you can set installation steps to deploy and run Erlang service
>>        from prebuilt package on system without otp/Erlang installed
>>        with `coon install namespace/name`
>>    Documentation, articles and links:
>>    coon (client) - https://github.com/comtihon/coon
>>    <https://github.com/comtihon/coon> see Readme.md and doc folder
>>    coon_auto_builder (server) -
>>    https://github.com/comtihon/coon_auto_builder
>>    <https://github.com/comtihon/coon_auto_builder>
>>    how to create and build Erlang service from scratch
>>    https://justtech.blog/2018/01/07/create-erlang-service-with-coon/
>>    <https://justtech.blog/2018/01/07/create-erlang-service-with-coon/>
>>    how to prepare Erlang service for deploy
>>    https://justtech.blog/2018/02/11/erlang-service-easy-deploy-with-coon/
>>    <https://justtech.blog/2018/02/11/erlang-service-easy-deploy-with-coon/>
>>    example service which uses coon
>>    https://github.com/comtihon/example_service
>>    <https://github.com/comtihon/example_service>
>>    example library which uses coon
>>    https://github.com/comtihon/mongodb-erlang
>>    <https://github.com/comtihon/mongodb-erlang>
>>    Hope you find this tool useful :)

> Loïc Hoguin
> https://ninenines.eu

Re: Coon - new tool for building Erlang packages, dependency management and deploying Erlang services

Dmitry Belyaev-3
I think the world is bigger than just the US and English is used much wider than in only US. In saying it from Australia.

My first thought on that name was that it was a shortened "raccoon" which is a funny animal.

By the way, do you know what a well known English word and a library Mocha mean in Russian?.. However it doesn't mean people should stop using the word.

On 13 February 2018 01:03:21 GMT+11:00, Nathaniel Waisbrot <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Peter Hickman-2
Well North America is around 320 million people (not sure if that includes Canada at around 36 million). So the chances are that an English speaking programmer also comes form North America is probably quite high.

Over here in the UK the word "coon" is recognised as a racial slur (so add 66 million more people). Probably the same in Australia and New Zealand (29 million combined)

Unfortunate but the name could be more important than the project

Re: Coon - new tool for building Erlang packages, dependency management and deploying Erlang services

zxq9-2
On 2018年2月13日火曜日 1時20分50秒 JST Dmitry Belyaev wrote:
> By the way, do you know what a well known English word and a library Mocha mean in Russian?.. However it doesn't mean people should stop using the word.

This.

Emphatically this.

I have a longer response, but I'm going to cool down a bit before I post it.

Seriously, this crap has gone far enough.

-Craig

Re: Coon - new tool for building Erlang packages, dependency management and deploying Erlang services

Loïc Hoguin-3
This reminds me of people who were calling some coffee brand racist not
realizing that the Spanish or Portuguese translation for "black" looks a
lot like a racist slur.

People are getting offended much too easily these days. Intent is
important and there's no intent to slur here.

On 02/12/2018 03:15 PM, Josh Barney wrote:

> [...]
>      > * you can set installation steps to deploy and run Erlang service
>      > from prebuilt package on system without otp/Erlang installed
>      > with `coon install namespace/name`
>      >
>      > Documentation, articles and links:
>      >
>      > coon (client) - https://github.com/comtihon/coon
>      > <https://github.com/comtihon/coon> see Readme.md and doc folder
>      >
>      > coon_auto_builder (server) -
>      > https://github.com/comtihon/coon_auto_builder
>      > <https://github.com/comtihon/coon_auto_builder>
>      >
>      > how to create and build Erlang service from scratch
>      > https://justtech.blog/2018/01/07/create-erlang-service-with-coon/
>      > <https://justtech.blog/2018/01/07/create-erlang-service-with-coon/>
>      >
>      > how to prepare Erlang service for deploy

Loïc Hoguin
https://ninenines.eu

Re: Coon - new tool for building Erlang packages, dependency management and deploying Erlang services

Joshua Barney
Intent IS important and the intent of the people who applied this term to black people was a very bad intent.

?People are getting offended much too easily these days? ? this argument has been plastered all over American news for years, always coming from a privileged group claiming hurt. This is the white supremesist position.

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 9:34 AM Lo?c Hoguin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> > <https://coon.justtech.blog>, what reduces build time
> > * thanks to github integration it allows to trigger new builds for
> > Erlang packages when commiting new tag in repo
> > * you can set installation steps to deploy and run Erlang service
> > from prebuilt package on system without otp/Erlang installed
> > with `coon install namespace/name`
> >
> > Documentation, articles and links:
> >
> > coon (client) - https://github.com/comtihon/coon
> > <https://github.com/comtihon/coon> see Readme.md and doc folder
> >
> > coon_auto_builder (server) -
> > https://github.com/comtihon/coon_auto_builder
> > <https://github.com/comtihon/coon_auto_builder>
> >
> > how to create and build Erlang service from scratch
> > https://justtech.blog/2018/01/07/create-erlang-service-with-coon/
> > <https://justtech.blog/2018/01/07/create-erlang-service-with-coon/>
> >
> > how to prepare Erlang service for deploy

Lo?c Hoguin
https://ninenines.eu

Re: Coon - new tool for building Erlang packages, dependency management and deploying Erlang services

Fred Hebert-2
You can very well name your software 'piss' or 'shitpile' for all I care. Calling it a term that could be racist is certainly another thing entirely and comparing piss to a racist term is certainly a false equivalency.

Anyone is of course free to name their software whatever they want. Picking a racist name is however never going to be consequences-free as this e-mail thread first shows on the first day of release, and adoption figures may also reflect it. It also impacts the broader Erlang community to be sure. I can't imagine someone doing a keynote in North America with that package manager name and somehow expecting things to be fine, for example. If I were on a program committee, I'd vote against it and you could do nothing about that no matter if you'd think I'd be offended for no reason or not. I could just choose to call the code of conduct in question and be done with my explanation.

If the author of the coon package manager wants to keep going, I would probably strongly suggest they put as many god damn image of raccoons as they can on the website because there is certainly no cues as to what the origin of the name is right here. If they care about the naming less than the shitstorm and perception that will come back to them from it, then maybe renaming is a good idea. For christ's sake, try rcoon if you really have to name it after a raccoon or something like that.

I would personally never want to introduce a tool with this name in a workplace, tutorial, talk, book, or class. It's just not a good idea on any level.

Nobody is forcing anyone to rename their packages here, but any marketing person worth a dime would tell you that it does not matter that anyone thinks others should be offended less. They'll react how they'll react and you'll have to deal with the real world fallout coming out of it.

It's not presented well, it's bad optics, it's insensitive, and it's a bad idea.

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 9:34 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 2018年2月13日火曜日 1時20分50秒 JST Dmitry Belyaev wrote:
> By the way, do you know what a well known English word and a library Mocha mean in Russian?.. However it doesn't mean people should stop using the word.

This.

Emphatically this.

I have a longer response, but I'm going to cool down a bit before I post it.

Seriously, this crap has gone far enough.

-Craig

Re: Coon - new tool for building Erlang packages, dependency management and deploying Erlang services

Loïc Hoguin-3
This idea that white supremacists need a reason to call others using
racial slurs is ridiculous at best. At this rate you will call me a Nazi
by the next reply. Fingers crossed.

Again Valery does not apply this term to black people or make any
reference about them or the US History, so there's no intent here. He's
using the other meaning.

Soon you will argue that hunters are racists because they call racoons
"coons".

--
Loïc Hoguin
https://ninenines.eu

Re: Coon - new tool for building Erlang packages, dependency management and deploying Erlang services

Chris Waymire
The idea that a software library that happens to share name with a racial slur that is over 180 years old and has not been part of common social use for several decades would make people angry is ridiculous. Especially when the word as meanings that pre-date the slur. If that upsets you to the point where you are unable to get past it then it is time to unplug your tv, your radio and your internet and live a life of peaceful solitude.

    --     Lo?c Hoguin
    https://ninenines.eu

--
Loïc Hoguin

https://ninenines.eu

Re: Coon - new tool for building Erlang packages, dependency management and deploying Erlang services

Fred Hebert-2
Intent does not matter. Intent is not a thing that makes people go "oh okay I guess it's a good idea then". Intent does not prevent people to run away with a thing and taking the control of the message away from you. There are going to be angry people, there are going to be public fallouts and callouts, and it will be a blocker to the adoption of the project.

It does not matter that you don't think it's insulting. It matters that others do and that they are guaranteed to do a thing about it.

This e-mail thread is already making the rounds on a few slack communities I'm on and the outlook is at worst that the Erlang community is full of racists, or at best that it's full of people with terrible judgement.

    --     Lo?c Hoguin
    https://ninenines.eu

--
Loïc Hoguin

https://ninenines.eu

Re: Coon - new tool for building Erlang packages, dependency management and deploying Erlang services

Roman Galeev
Well, we have git already and nobody seems to be offended.

    --     Lo?c Hoguin
    https://ninenines.eu

--
Loïc Hoguin