EUC2001: Usage of OTP's design principles in instant messaging services

EUC2001: Usage of OTP's design principles in instant messaging services

Francesco Mazzoli-2
For those of you who will  not make it to the Erlang User Conference
this year, I put the paper Mickael Remond and I contributed online. It
describes a prototype of an instant messaging server written in pure
Erlang, and how its migration to a scalable product (up to 10,000
simultaneous users) using OTP took place. We wrote this paper so as to
point out the need and advantages of OTP in Erlang product development
to companies / individuals without in-house Erlang/OTP expertise, hoping
they will not make the same mistakes, and instead take full advantage of
OTP from the start. It will hopefully be a starting point for a
discussion on how OTP design patterns and principles can be marketed
better to people experimenting and developing with Erlang.

The URL is http://www.erlang-consulting.com/euc2001/index.htm

You will find both the paper and the slides (HTML). If you can not make
it on Thursday, feel free to email me any questions.

Enjoy..
Francesco
--
http://www.erlang-consulting.com

EUC2001: Usage of OTP's design principles in instant messaging services

Hal Snyder-2
Francesco Cesarini <francesco> writes:

> ... We wrote this paper so as to point out the need and advantages
> of OTP in Erlang product development to companies / individuals
> without in-house Erlang/OTP expertise, hoping they will not make the
> same mistakes, and instead take full advantage of OTP from the
> start...
>
> The URL is http://www.erlang-consulting.com/euc2001/index.htm

Couldn't agree more.

Our experience parallels that in the report. We started out with
Erlang and later, after digging in docs and looking at Eddie and other
source from those in the know, found out how much more effective one
can be starting with OTP.

Probably the best reason yet to upgrade the Red Book. :-)

P.S.: I suspect at my site we are in the same condition re mnesia that
we were with OTP a year ago - woefully underutilized.