Erlang 20 Access Violation crash on Windows

Erlang 20 Access Violation crash on Windows

Agustin Cautin-2
Hello,

We are having crashes in our production systems every 4-6 hours, we don't have much information regarding the crash as the vm just suddenly stops due to access violation the only information we have is from the system event log:

Faulting application name: erl.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x59497e1a
Faulting module name: beam.smp.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x59497e05
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000137528
Faulting process id: 0x1720
Faulting application start time: 0x01d311b3967b4ead
Faulting application path: d:\K2Informatics\sbsgui\erts-9.0\bin\erl.exe
Faulting module path: d:\K2Informatics\sbsgui\erts-9.0\bin\beam.smp.dll
Report Id: 069f7e2b-7db4-11e7-acb4-3cd92bfb3e2e

This is happening in a cluster of 6 machines but only under load, so far we haven't been able to reproduce the crash on systems outside the production environment, any help in how to get to the root cause or which tools can we use to debug it will be greatly appreciated.

Regards.
Agustin.

Re: Erlang 20 Access Violation crash on Windows

Onorio Catenacci
Hi Agustin,

A few thoughts:

1.) Are you using any NIF code?

2.) Specifically, which OS are you using for your production system and are you using the same OS (down to patches) for the other system that is not crashing?

3.) If I were you I'd be trying to run a memory monitor in the background on the failing machine(s).  You might try this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/rammap

4.) Use this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns to see what's automatically getting started on your machine.  Shutoff anything that doesn't need to be autostarted.  Better yet shut off everything and run it and then slowly add things back till you can repro the issue again.

Basically if you're sure that this is only happening on your prod machines and you've got other machines where it's not happening, then figure out what's different.  But I can't tell if you've got other machines which aren't seeing the issue and I'd guess you probably don't.