Erlang Development Environment

Sean Hinde-2
Fellow Erlangers,

I've read a number of suggestions for a better Erlang Development
Environment than emacs.. It certainly seems we are falling behind some other
languages in terms of support environment. (OCaml, Clean, Python etc).

1. Does anyone really feel the need for something better/different?

2. Is Ericsson already working on something?

3. What form should it take?

4. How could such a thing be implemented?

5. By who (ducks behind partition immediately :) )?

A few random thoughts..

The shell is still really important

Drop down menu to connect to the shell on any connected node

OTP "Application" file layout aware project tools

Nice support for versioning (maybe even forced versioning mode?) of
individual files, whole applications, releases and projects(backends to
rcs/clearcase/cvs)

Switching between different projects (sets of applications/ files in current
scope)

Nice source code editor - hotlinks on function names to {find all places
called from, jump to implementation}.

Application/module/function tree type browser for current project scope.

Nice support for building initial releases and then also generating upgrade
files and relevant startup files etc

Application "Wizard".

Download and code loading to a bunch of test nodes.

Writing this in Erlang is probably dependent on nice possibly native (?) gui
support. Various approaches to this seem to be being taken:

1) Use the various gui builder tools (Glade etc) to build the gui and
provide a callback mechanism into Erlang (Python does somethng like this I
believe)

2) Build as much of the framework as possible in Erlang and provide a bunch
of c callbacks which need to be implemented natively to "create the various
widgets" and "insert text of a certain colour into this part of the editor
display". This is the approcah taken by abiword http:/www.abisource.com .
Here they have managed to write a wod procesor where 90% of the code is non
platform specific and 10 % implements the native platform specific gui stuff
(Windows, Unix, Gnome, BeOS, QNX).

GS wouldn't appear to be quite up to this..

It would be a large (!) project but maybe quite a few of the parts are
already out there (so to speak).

Thoughts anyone?

- Sean

NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER:

Erlang Development Environment

Andi Kleen
On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 04:25:15PM -0000, Sean Hinde wrote:
> I've read a number of suggestions for a better Erlang Development
> Environment than emacs.. It certainly seems we are falling behind some other
> languages in terms of support environment. (OCaml, Clean, Python etc).

Could you describe what you think is wrong with the emacs environment ?

> It would be a large (!) project but maybe quite a few of the parts are
> already out there (so to speak).

As far as I can see they are either already in emacs or could be implemented
there without too much work. If you want some inspiration see integrated
emacs based development environments for some other languages, like the
Franz Lisp emacs interface or the GNU Ada Emacs mode or the JDE Java
environment.

They are all nicely integrated with cross reference tools, provide easy
access to interpreters, integration with debuggers and all kinds of other
things.

> Thoughts anyone?

I think you're trying to reinvent the wheel ;)

> NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER:
> This email (including attachments) is confidential.  If you have received

Interesting.

-Andi

Erlang Development Environment

Robert Virding-4
Sean Hinde <Sean.Hinde> writes:
>Fellow Erlangers,
>
>I've read a number of suggestions for a better Erlang Development
>Environment than emacs.. It certainly seems we are falling behind some other
>languages in terms of support environment. (OCaml, Clean, Python etc).

There used to be a simple but perfectly usable development environment
called xerl (I think).  It consisted of an editor window and a coupled
shell window with some helpful buttons.  The editor was textedit-like,
but had a reasonable knowledge of Erlang syntax so it could help with
indentation.

While not as powerful as the emacs environment it was perfect for users
who were shy of emacs or running on Windows.

Best of all it was written in Erlang so it could have been extended
into a full environment with close coupling to the debugger and other
graphical system display tools.

I don't know why it was dropped.  It was pre-gs so it would have had to
been ported.  Maybe the code still exists somewhere and could be used
as a starting point for a new environment.

I porbably think, without having given too much thought on the subject,
that Gtk is the way to go.  If you were doing a "product" for money
then I would buy some portable environment.

        Robert