Erlang Development Environment

Vlad Dumitrescu-3
>I'd rather the root of this problem be solved; namely, that GS is slow
>under Windows.  Could the performance not be improved if it were
>implemented directly with Windows API calls (avoiding Tk completely)?

I've been thinking about that too. I think it would be a very cool thing to
push things even further and implement a full-blown window manager and
widget toolkit in Erlang!

But on the other hand, that might have mostly an academic purpose... I still
think that for each purpose one should use the best tool available, and that
one shouldn't reinvent the wheel if it isn't needed (unless of course, one
feels it will be a better wheel!)

Since I believe Delphi is the best tool for building GUIs under Windows and
now Linux, then I feel no hesitation! :-)

A related issue that I've tried to handle is how this GUI should be baked in
an Erlang program. One could interface Erlang with the bowels of Delphi, but
I feel that would be defeating it's own purpose. The solution I am trying to
implement right now is using a clean client-server (or model-view)
separation. This way, one can easily keep a command-line interface, if so
wanted.

>Create a full-blown graphical syntax for Erlang along the lines of
>Boerenkool or Lava.  Allow for several
>parallel views of the same source code.  It could be viewed "by module",
>"by process", "by node", "by dependency", or any other conceivable
>hierarchical breakdown that is applicable to things in Erlang.

That is a great idea. As a matter of fact, a first step might be to
implement a SDL-like design tool, which might be then refined with for
example code generation and so on. I was quite disappointed that the SDL
tools I tried can only generate C or C++ code...

>I don't see why it couldn't be done in GS, either.  Especially if there
>was an implementation of GS closer to the operating system.

Of course it can. The question is if it's worth the effort. If someone can
spend time on that, I will become one of their greatest fans! :-)

regards,
Vlad

Erlang Development Environment

tobbe

JFYI: Tony Rogvall has made a coupling between Erlang an GTK.
I think the plan is to release it to the OTP team (don't take
my word for it though). However, I'm not sure how well GTK
works under Windows.

Cheers /Tobbe

Erlang Development Environment

Mickael Remond-2
Torbjorn Tornkvist (tobbe) wrote:

> JFYI: Tony Rogvall has made a coupling between Erlang an GTK.
> I think the plan is to release it to the OTP team (don't take
> my word for it though). However, I'm not sure how well GTK
> works under Windows.

Hum. That's great ! I hope he will release his code because it would be
very useful. GTK is a very powerful toolkit.

For the Windows part, I think this should work on Windows:
- Because GTK started in the GIMP (Image manipulation tool) project.
  GIMP has been ported on Windows, so I think the toolkit should work.
- Because I have heard that Gnome has been ported on Windows. Gnome is a
  GTK based desktop, so ...

--
Micka?l R?mond
 http://www.erlang-fr.org/

Erlang Development Environment

Tony Rogvall-3
Mickael Remond wrote:

> Torbjorn Tornkvist (tobbe) wrote:
> >
> > JFYI: Tony Rogvall has made a coupling between Erlang an GTK.
> > I think the plan is to release it to the OTP team (don't take
> > my word for it though). However, I'm not sure how well GTK
> > works under Windows.
>
> Hum. That's great ! I hope he will release his code because it would be
> very useful. GTK is a very powerful toolkit.
>
> For the Windows part, I think this should work on Windows:
> - Because GTK started in the GIMP (Image manipulation tool) project.
>   GIMP has been ported on Windows, so I think the toolkit should work.
> - Because I have heard that Gnome has been ported on Windows. Gnome is a
>   GTK based desktop, so ...
>
> --
> Micka?l R?mond
>  http://www.erlang-fr.org/

Erlang/GTK do work under windows (some minor stuff with Gtk version is 1.3
under windows while
the unix version is based on 1.2.8). Most stuff missing and things that are
incomplete today will
resolve nicely when Gtk2.0 is released. Then most things are glib objects
and I can attach hooks
to about everything :-)

Yes GTK is nice and I hope to have a pre-release soon (I have also made a
glade2erl program
and some extensions to glade that will make simple gui stuff just a mouse
click away...)

See you then :-)

/Tony