Erlang Development Environment

Sean Hinde-2
Hakan,

> I don't mind a nicer enviroment, but I feel that a thight
> integration between
> dev. enviroment and the erlang language/VM is a bad idea for
> several reasons:
> * it should be possible to use erlang with a shell and a
> texteditor of your
> choice for portablity reasons.
> * gui interfaces can be slower (to perfrom certain tasks)
> than command line
> * I like the emacs(to edit) + shell(run and compile) +
> netscape(read doc)
> combination becouse it works just same for allmost any
> language: erlang, java, C

I didn't envisage that any of these things would go away, and Erlang is a
pretty good reason to download and learn to drive emacs.. I do think though
that at least a dedicated erlang editor with:

1. Function name completion on tab,
2. 'f1' to take you to the detailed doc for that function
3. or even just bring up the possible function headers with the names of the
variables (kind of like you get when entering an equation in M$ Excel) -
this could even work without access to any docs and for our own functions in
our own modules in the current path.
4. Click to jump to the function implementation.
5. .. Take a look at Visual C++ or some of those things and steal (without
breaking any software copyright laws of course ;) ) the best and most
relevant ideas.

would be quite a bit nicer. One even hears rumours that the majority of
progammers in at least parts of a certain large Erlang using telecoms
supplier don't even use emacs but instead use a wide array of vi, textpad,
notepad etc.

One quick win could be to at least have searchable documentation.

> Note: it's a lot of (redundant ?) work to make a system that
> does what emacs +
> shell + netscape do well - I suppouse one could do some kind
> of framework that
> simply uses these applications (perhaps another texteditor though ?).

True, much work, and it would only be worth it if we ended up with something
much better. An interesting project also..

- Sean

NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER:

Erlang Development Environment

Mickael Remond-2
Sean Hinde (Sean.Hinde) wrote:

> I didn't envisage that any of these things would go away, and Erlang is a
> pretty good reason to download and learn to drive emacs.. I do think though
> that at least a dedicated erlang editor with:
>
> 1. Function name completion on tab,
> 2. 'f1' to take you to the detailed doc for that function
> 3. or even just bring up the possible function headers with the names of the
> variables (kind of like you get when entering an equation in M$ Excel) -
> this could even work without access to any docs and for our own functions in
> our own modules in the current path.
> 4. Click to jump to the function implementation.
> 5. .. Take a look at Visual C++ or some of those things and steal (without
> breaking any software copyright laws of course ;) ) the best and most
> relevant ideas.

Here is what I found on Ericsson site:

http://www.ericsson.com/SE/rekryt/exjobb400.html

It seems that some other people are thinking that such a tool would be
valuable.

--
Micka?l R?mond

Erlang Development Environment

Ulf Wiger-4
On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Sean Hinde wrote:

>I do think though that at least a dedicated erlang editor with:

I had a vague ambition to do this, and as a result, posted the
lines-1.0 contrib. I didn't get any further than that. (:

>1. Function name completion on tab,

...would be nice.

>2. 'f1' to take you to the detailed doc for that function

We (AXD 301) have that capability for OTP functions (well, modules, at
least) via CCviewer. (not for our own code, alas, because the docs are
not in an easily parsable format... embarrassing.)

>3. or even just bring up the possible function headers with the
>names of the variables (kind of like you get when entering an
>equation in M$ Excel) - this could even work without access to any
>docs and for our own functions in our own modules in the current
>path.

Yes, nice.

>4. Click to jump to the function implementation.

We do this through CCviewer, as well as being one click away from
listing all known calls to a particular function.

If anyone else wants to give CCviewer a spin, I'll gladly help out in
porting it to another design environment. It might be some work, but I
think it's well worth it.

>One even hears rumours that the majority of progammers in at least
>parts of a certain large Erlang using telecoms supplier don't even
>use emacs but instead use a wide array of vi, textpad, notepad etc.

These rumours are totally unfounded, of course.  (:

/Uffe
--
Ulf Wiger                                    tfn: +46  8 719 81 95
Senior System Architect                      mob: +46 70 519 81 95

Ulf Wiger (etxuwig) wrote:

> If anyone else wants to give CCviewer a spin, I'll gladly help out in
> porting it to another design environment. It might be some work, but I
> think it's well worth it.

My main problem is that I never used ClearCase and I do not even know
what it looks like.
I am using CVS which is a very good Open Source versioning system.

I am willing to help you on the road toward CVSviewer, but need help on
the original ClearCase specific code.

--
Micka?l R?mond

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Mickael Remond wrote:

>Ulf Wiger (etxuwig) wrote:
>>
>> If anyone else wants to give CCviewer a spin, I'll gladly help out in
>> porting it to another design environment. It might be some work, but I
>> think it's well worth it.
>
>My main problem is that I never used ClearCase and I do not even
>know what it looks like. I am using CVS which is a very good Open
>Source versioning system.

It is, no doubt.

>I am willing to help you on the road toward CVSviewer, but need help
>on the original ClearCase specific code.

This is good. I was hoping that someone using CVS would come
forward. (:

Let's give it a try, then.

/Uffe