Erlang Docker and Kubernetes examples

Lukas Larsson-8
Hello!

We have been spending some time to put together some example usages of Erlang together with Docker and/or Kubernetes. You can find the examples here: https://github.com/erlang/docker-erlang-example and https://github.com/erlang/docker-erlang-example/tree/minikube-simple/

We are by no means experts at either Docker nor Kubernetes, so these examples were as much an exercise for us to become better as a tool for others to figure out what to do.

If you have any feedback or wish to improve the examples, please open issues and PRs on github.

Enjoy,
Lukas

Re: Erlang Docker and Kubernetes examples

Andreas Schultz-3
Lukas Larsson <[hidden email]> schrieb am Do., 29. Nov. 2018 um 09:11 Uhr:
Hello!

We have been spending some time to put together some example usages of Erlang together with Docker and/or Kubernetes. You can find the examples here: https://github.com/erlang/docker-erlang-example and https://github.com/erlang/docker-erlang-example/tree/minikube-simple/

We are by no means experts at either Docker nor Kubernetes, so these examples were as much an exercise for us to become better as a tool for others to figure out what to do.

If you have any feedback or wish to improve the examples, please open issues and PRs on github.

Just some small remarks:

* if you wish to use gen_sctp you need to add the  lksctp-tools package to the final container
* I found that I also need zlib in the final container, not sure what the dependency is
* for building NIFs in the 1st stage, you need:
                gcc \
                git \
                libc-dev libc-utils \
                libgcc \
                linux-headers \
                make \
                musl-dev musl-utils \
                pcre2 \
                pkgconf \
                scanelf \
                wget \
                zlib

I think it would also be nice to have a samples to build the docker image with the most common CI tools.
I have samples for travis-ci [1] and can provide one for gitlab-ci. I just don't have the time to make polished PR's.

Andreas

Enjoy,
Lukas
Dipl.-Inform. Andreas Schultz

----------------------- enabling your networks ----------------------
Travelping GmbH                     Phone:  +49-391-81 90 99 0
Roentgenstr. 13                     Fax:    +49-391-81 90 99 299
39108 Magdeburg                     Email:  [hidden email]
GERMANY                             Web:    http://www.travelping.com

Company Registration: Amtsgericht Stendal        Reg No.:   HRB 10578
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Holger Winkelmann          VAT ID No.: DE236673780

Re: Erlang Docker and Kubernetes examples

Tristan Sloughter-4
Nice.

I have a blog post about an optimization you can do by only copying the rebar.config and lock at first http://blog.erlware.org/rebar3-building-docker-images/

But I'm not too happy with it... I want to integrate epmdless and write up instructions for easily using it to connect erlang nodes in a k8s cluster based on a specific port. And dealing with setting the number of active schedulers based on the allocated CPU resources I think is probably something important to figure out.

Also, I made a draft pack https://github.com/Azure/draft/tree/master/packs/erlang if people are interested in getting started with k8s through draft, https://draft.sh/

Tristan