Erlang Eddie -- son of?

Lloyd R. Prentice-2
Hello,

I just ran across The Eddie Mission. It promises much of great potential value but appears to be dead as a dodo.

http://eddie.sourceforge.net/mission.html

--- Does anyone know if it's still in production anywhere?
--- If one wanted close-to-equivalent functionality based on actively supported contemporary Erlang packages, how might one go about it?

Best wishes,

LRP

Sent from my iPad

Re: Erlang Eddie -- son of?

Richard A. O'Keefe-2

On 22/08/16 3:23 PM, Lloyd R. Prentice wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just ran across The Eddie Mission. It promises much of great potential value but appears to be dead as a dodo.

According to https://sourceforge.net/projects/eddie/,
the last update was in March 2013.
That's not "undergoing rapid development", but it's not
quite "dead as a dodo" either.

Did the e-mail address for any of the core maintainers work?

Re: Erlang Eddie -- son of?

Lloyd R. Prentice-2
Thanks for your reply, Richard.

I somehow missed the 2013 date. The last date I saw was in 2000 plus an erlang-questions post regarding problems with install due to "bit rot."

I didn't think to contact core maintainers. Somehow I feel like I'm imposting when I post directly to someone I don't know. But I suppose I should get over that. So, I will do that now.

Thanks again,

Lloyd

On 22/08/16 3:23 PM, Lloyd R. Prentice wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just ran across The Eddie Mission. It promises much of great potential value but appears to be dead as a dodo.

According to https://sourceforge.net/projects/eddie/,
the last update was in March 2013.
That's not "undergoing rapid development", but it's not
quite "dead as a dodo" either.

Did the e-mail address for any of the core maintainers work?

Re: Erlang Eddie -- son of?

Ola Andersson A (AL/EAB)
If I'm not mistaken the Eddie project was originally developed internally at Ericsson and formed the embryo of what later became the BlueTail solution.
I remember that I watched a demo of Eddie at the EUC in -98(?).
Somehow Ericsson released Eddie as open source with the rest of Erlang/OTP, I guess.
At EUC -99 Håkan Millroth of BlueTail presented a Mail Robustifier Product based on Erlang/OTP.

http://www.erlang.se/euc/99/

There are several highly active people on this list who knows a lot more than me about this subject though.
/OLA.

Hi Ola,

Thanks for the clue!

Given my quick dive into the web, BlueTail has an interesting history. No doubt there is an even more fascinating story behind the web posts:

Ericcson  -- 1999 A group from the CS-lab then started Bluetail Ab with Jane as CEO, and sold it 18 months later for 150MUSD ->

(Last Sourceforge modification of Eddie: December 15, 2000 under  Erlang Public License -- EPL))

(May 28, 2000) BlueTail Ab sold to Alteon WebSystems Inc. for About $152 Million ->

(October 4, 2000) Alteon Websystems sold to Nortel Networks for $7.8 billion in stock->

(February 22, 2009) Nortel Networks sold the Alteon application switching line to Radware
 $17.7 million

Making Money from Erlang
http://armstrongonsoftware.blogspot.com/2006/08/making-money-from-erlang.html

Joe Armstrong
http://ndcoslo.com/speaker/joe-armstrong/

The Strange Story of Erlang's Success
http://community.embarcadero.com/blogs/entry/the-strange-story-of-erlangs-success-37887

So, now, I wonder what happened to Eddie in all this. It was released under an Open Source license which suggests that it can be forked and dusted off. Please excuse my naivete, but this seems like a great software contribution that deserves loving care.

All the best,

LRP

If I'm not mistaken the Eddie project was originally developed internally at Ericsson and formed the embryo of what later became the BlueTail solution.
I remember that I watched a demo of Eddie at the EUC in -98(?).
Somehow Ericsson released Eddie as open source with the rest of Erlang/OTP, I guess.
At EUC -99 Håkan Millroth of BlueTail presented a Mail Robustifier Product based on Erlang/OTP.

http://www.erlang.se/euc/99/

There are several highly active people on this list who knows a lot more than me about this subject though.
/OLA.

Matthias Lang
On 22. August 2016, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

> > I just ran across The Eddie Mission. It promises much of great potential value but appears to be dead as a dodo.
>
> According to https://sourceforge.net/projects/eddie/,
> the last update was in March 2013.
> That's not "undergoing rapid development", but it's not
> quite "dead as a dodo" either.

The Wikipedia page about Elvis Presley says it was last updated a week ago,
so if that's good enough to claim "not dead", then, well, you're not alone.

All the evidence points to Eddie being dead:

  - The most recent release of eddie on sourceforge is from 15 years ago
  - The bug tracker has two bugs in total. Neither of which are recent.
  - The patch tracker has two trivial patches in total. From 2007.
  - Nothing's been committed to CVS for more than a decade.
  - One of the most recent CVS commit logs talks about Erlang R9B-1.

Matt

Re: Erlang Eddie -- son of?

Garry Hodgson-2
Maybe it's pining for the fjords?

On 08/24/2016 09:16 AM, Matthias Lang wrote:

> On 22. August 2016, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
>
>>> I just ran across The Eddie Mission. It promises much of great potential value but appears to be dead as a dodo.
>> According to https://sourceforge.net/projects/eddie/,
>> the last update was in March 2013.
>> That's not "undergoing rapid development", but it's not
>> quite "dead as a dodo" either.
> The Wikipedia page about Elvis Presley says it was last updated a week ago,
> so if that's good enough to claim "not dead", then, well, you're not alone.
>
> All the evidence points to Eddie being dead:
>
>    - The most recent release of eddie on sourceforge is from 15 years ago
>    - The bug tracker has two bugs in total. Neither of which are recent.
>    - The patch tracker has two trivial patches in total. From 2007.
>    - Nothing's been committed to CVS for more than a decade.
>    - One of the most recent CVS commit logs talks about Erlang R9B-1.
>
> Matt

Garry Hodgson
Lead Member of Technical Staff
AT&T Chief Security Office (CSO)

"This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are AT&T property, are confidential, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom this e-mail is addressed. If you are not one of the named recipient(s) or otherwise have reason to believe that you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete this message immediately from your computer. Any other use, retention, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited."