Erlang Inside

Joe Armstrong-2
Erlang is often deployed as a major component in a program, but this
fact is often not widely known.

"Erlang inside" means an Erlang run-time is a part of the system.
So an App written in Elixir, with cowboy, or riak can be in the list.

I'd like to keep a list of systems with "Erlang Inside" - this is useful
for PR.

I'd like:

   1) The information to be public (no commercial secrets please)
       [urls, or references please]
   2) Name and description of product/program and
       [short summary]
   3) Dates when the information was known to be true
   4) Estimates of #systems shipped with Erlang inside
   5) Estimates of the number of users served by the SW
   6) Contact person
       [some person who can be contacted occasionally to
        update the information] -
        No essential but better than "I heard it from a dev in a pub"
   7) The major dependencies (ie uses cowboy, riak, or
        Appname -> Elixir -> cowboy)
   8) Other
       [what is missing?]

Examples (off the top of my head) Sonic Pi, NHS database Spine2,
WhatsApp.

You can add to this list by adding a post to this thread or by mailing
me (off-list).

Cheers

/Joe

Re: Erlang Inside

Michał Muskała
Hi Joe,

You might find the list of companies that claim to use Elixir in some way useful in this context. It can be found on GitHub: https://github.com/doomspork/elixir-companies

Michał.

On 8 Dec 2017, 12:38 +0100, Joe Armstrong <[hidden email]>, wrote:
[...]

Thanks - it was a long list.

It would be nice to know the #users and the commercial status of the
program (ie prototype, few users, millions of users) so we could sort
it by #users

/Joe

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 12:44 PM, Michał Muskała <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>
> You might find the list of companies that claim to use Elixir in some way
> useful in this context. It can be found on GitHub:
> https://github.com/doomspork/elixir-companies
>
> Michał.
>
> On 8 Dec 2017, 12:38 +0100, Joe Armstrong <[hidden email]>, wrote:
>
> Erlang is often deployed as a major component in a program, but this
> fact is often not widely known.
>
> "Erlang inside" means an Erlang run-time is a part of the system.
> So an App written in Elixir, with cowboy, or riak can be in the list.
>
> I'd like to keep a list of systems with "Erlang Inside" - this is useful
> for PR.
>
> I'd like:
>
> 1) The information to be public (no commercial secrets please)
> [urls, or references please]
> 2) Name and description of product/program and
> [short summary]
> 3) Dates when the information was known to be true
> 4) Estimates of #systems shipped with Erlang inside
> 5) Estimates of the number of users served by the SW
> 6) Contact person
> [some person who can be contacted occasionally to
> update the information] -
> No essential but better than "I heard it from a dev in a pub"
> 7) The major dependencies (ie uses cowboy, riak, or
> Appname -> Elixir -> cowboy)
> 8) Other
> [what is missing?]
>
> Examples (off the top of my head) Sonic Pi, NHS database Spine2,
> WhatsApp.
>
> You can add to this list by adding a post to this thread or by mailing
> me (off-list).
>
> Cheers
>
> /Joe

Re: Erlang Inside

Marc Worrell
There are quite some website running Zotonic:

 * Social network for schools https://www.maxclass.com/
 * Working together for courses https://www.learningstone.com/
 * Co-browsing and chat for helpdesks https://www.channel.me/
 * Women’s Health
     - Women on Waves https://www.womenonwaves.org/
     - Women on Web https://www.womenonweb.org/
     - Abortion Pill Information https://abortionpillinfo.org/
     - Women Help Women https://www.womenhelp.org/
     - Women Help Women - consultation https:/consult.womenhelp.org/
 * 40+ sites developed by Driebit ( https://www.driebit.nl/nl/portfoliol, among them
    - Jewish Monument for the Dutch Jews https://www.joodsmonument.nl/
    - Dutch history https://www.entoen.nu/

And many more, which I don’t know the URLs from the top of my head.

- Marc

On 8 Dec 2017, at 13:55, Marc Worrell <[hidden email]> wrote:

 * 40+ sites developed by Driebit ( https://www.driebit.nl/nl/portfoliol, among them

Fwd: Erlang Inside

Eric des Courtis

1) Erlang is running inside our Mitel Mass Notification product (was historically Benbria BlazeCast). Also inside the Mitel Mass Notification Desktop Client which is deployed on Desktop on customer computers (especially popular in schools and universities across America). http://mitel.ca/products/mitel-mass-notification

2) Mitel Mass Notification enables faster delivery and acknowledgement of vital information across a wide range of channels and devices. From crisis communications (Emergency Notification System) to routine day-to-day activities such as billing notices, employee communications and announcements, Mitel Mass Notification enables staff to easily and quickly send multi-modal messages in real-time.

3) December 2017

4) 100 000+ (Mostly Windows instances of the Mitel Mass Notification Desktop Client, some Mac and a smaller number of server instances)

5) Millions

6) [hidden email]

7) OTP, exmpp, lager

On Dec 8, 2017 6:38 AM, "Joe Armstrong" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Paul Fisher

Alert Logic uses Erlang almost exclusively for developing our products (www.alertlogic.com). These products provide security monitoring, protection and 24/7 security analyst services for cloud workloads running on AWS, Azure, GCP, as well as on-premise and Colo environments.

Some interesting technical facts about what we do:

- 4100+ customers, 10k+ appliances, 300k+ agents

- 2PB of customer data per month, with 25PB under management

- Processing 1.2M messages/second average, peaking at 3M

- Data volume grows at over 110% per year

- Nearly 100 services and lambda are composed into more than a dozen major subsystems

- Over 100 engineers writing Erlang code daily

- Maintainers of ercloud application providing AWS SDK for Erlang

- Many many Erlang applications are used

I can be listed as contact for this information.

--

paul

Fellow, Engineering

[...]

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__erlang.org_mailman_listinfo_erlang-2Dquestions&d=DwICAg&c=L_h2OePR2UWWefmqrezxOsP9Uqw55rRfX5bRtw9S4KY&r=PevFox_7LK44ZV_jlS5jRM2WItKtsHV4zN_CrbdT2aM&m=r0z5TBhjtOSRsXznzzEj9q1Lh21pjvhPcXfYY-jV6jc&s=x-bGX5LWr8yyFyCg3uiYzEVyczhLUHd2tSy2YlRXN4Y&e=
Confidentiality Notice | This email and any included attachments may be privileged, confidential and/or otherwise protected from disclosure. Access to this email by anyone other than the intended recipient is unauthorized. If you believe you have received this email in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete all copies. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

Re: Erlang Inside

Martin Sumner
Joe,

The NHS Spine 2 Core system was built on two Erlang products (Riak and RabbitMQ).  Almost all of the bespoke code is written in Python, but the message-passing architecture of the system and the approach to managing availability was directly inspired by reading about Erlang (in particular your book).

1. There's a presentation that I gave at ICFP 2017 on Spine 2 and Erlang here: http://martinsumner.github.io/presentations/spine2_erlang#/.  The architectural links between Spine 2 and Erlang aren't talked about much publicly, as it was only really me as the lead engineer/designer who was thinking about it.  Spine 2 was a big transformational shock for NHS IT in many ways, and so tended to grab headlines for reasons other than Erlang being inside.

2. Spine 2 provides the central data storage system and messaging system for the NHS - covering electronic prescriptions (primary care), demographic records, summary care records, subject access records, access alerting, consent recording, distribution of pathology results, child protection information, GP to GP record transfers, distribution of electronic referrals and plenty more.  It handles close to 50M messages on a busy day, and holds around 2 billion records and documents.

3. Go live was August 2014 (replacing a system originally released July 2004), and the system is expected to have a long life, as it is deeply integrated into a slow-moving eco-system.

4. There are around 80 servers running Erlang in the production system.

5. Most users are indirect behind other applications, but it is accessed this way by more than 100K users each day, who are sat behind over 20K application instances from more than 20 different integrated applications.

6. I no longer work directly on the project, which is now led on the technology side by Azhar Nisar.  For any formal comms about the project you would be best contacting the comms team @NHSDigital.

7. Riak KV and RabbitMQ

8.  There are two other projects in the NHS with Erlang inside (through Riak KV).  SuS Plus (http://content.digital.nhs.uk/sus/replacement) which uses Riak for object storage.  There is also a service for auditing the application of opt-outs (http://content.digital.nhs.uk/article/7092/Information-on-type-2-opt-outs) which is built on Riak and uses some bespoke Erlang for querying.

Following the demise of Basho, there are now a number of engineers within the NHS Digital team who are building up Erlang skills, to ensure they can effectively manage these services in house in the future.  There is some increasing awareness of the presence of Erlang inside of the NHS IT infrastructure.

Many thanks

Martin (@masleeds)

Re: Erlang Inside

Joe Armstrong-2
Brilliant, thanks for the detailed reply and for forwarding it to the list
this make it public and searchable.

Newspaper articles usually don't go into this level of detail and so
are not much use from a PR point of view.

Thanks again

/Joe

On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 2:17 PM, Martin Sumner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Joe,
>
> The NHS Spine 2 Core system was built on two Erlang products (Riak and
> RabbitMQ).  Almost all of the bespoke code is written in Python, but the
> message-passing architecture of the system and the approach to managing
> availability was directly inspired by reading about Erlang (in particular
> your book).
>
> 1. There's a presentation that I gave at ICFP 2017 on Spine 2 and Erlang
> here: http://martinsumner.github.io/presentations/spine2_erlang#/.  The
> architectural links between Spine 2 and Erlang aren't talked about much
> publicly, as it was only really me as the lead engineer/designer who was
> thinking about it.  Spine 2 was a big transformational shock for NHS IT in
> many ways, and so tended to grab headlines for reasons other than Erlang
> being inside.
>
> 2. Spine 2 provides the central data storage system and messaging system for
> the NHS - covering electronic prescriptions (primary care), demographic
> records, summary care records, subject access records, access alerting,
> consent recording, distribution of pathology results, child protection
> information, GP to GP record transfers, distribution of electronic referrals
> and plenty more.  It handles close to 50M messages on a busy day, and holds
> around 2 billion records and documents.
>
> 3. Go live was August 2014 (replacing a system originally released July
> 2004), and the system is expected to have a long life, as it is deeply
> integrated into a slow-moving eco-system.
>
> 4. There are around 80 servers running Erlang in the production system.
>
> 5. Most users are indirect behind other applications, but it is accessed
> this way by more than 100K users each day, who are sat behind over 20K
> application instances from more than 20 different integrated applications.
>
> 6. I no longer work directly on the project, which is now led on the
> technology side by Azhar Nisar.  For any formal comms about the project you
> would be best contacting the comms team @NHSDigital.
>
> 7. Riak KV and RabbitMQ
>
> 8.  There are two other projects in the NHS with Erlang inside (through Riak
> KV).  SuS Plus (http://content.digital.nhs.uk/sus/replacement) which uses
> Riak for object storage.  There is also a service for auditing the
> application of opt-outs
> (http://content.digital.nhs.uk/article/7092/Information-on-type-2-opt-outs)
> which is built on Riak and uses some bespoke Erlang for querying.
>
> Following the demise of Basho, there are now a number of engineers within
> the NHS Digital team who are building up Erlang skills, to ensure they can
> effectively manage these services in house in the future.  There is some
> increasing awareness of the presence of Erlang inside of the NHS IT
> infrastructure.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Martin (@masleeds)

Re: Erlang Inside

Krzysztof Jurewicz
Paspagon ( http://paspagon.com ) is a cryptocurrency payment processor, written in Erlang, which allows selling any files stored in Amazon S3 (currently only one region). No registration is needed and there are three options for restricting customers:

• custom authorization passed via URL;
• country restriction (via IP geolocation);
• no restrictions.

The latter two allow selling files without running an own server. There is also a Jekyll plugin ( https://github.com/KrzysiekJ/jekyll-paspagon ) which allows selling blog posts in various formats.

To my knowledge, Paspagon is one of the first services using HTTP status code 402 Payment Required (though in a non-standarized way).

Some of the applications/modules:

• cryptocurrency node to monitor transactions in real time;
• currency rates’ fetcher and calculator;
• client for JSON API of Bitcoin-like cryptocurrencies;
• INI parser.

Some of the dependencies:

• cowboy;
• egeoip;
• erlcloud;
• erlydtl;
• erlsha2;
• epgsql;
• gproc;
• jiffy;
• lager.

Due to low volume and low popularity there are few servers used, but the architecture has been designed to be massively scalable and resistant to failures. As a trivial example, Mnesia acts as a operational database (while SQL is used for storing history).

I may be treated as a contact person, with email @myto.com.pl.
--
chairman of the board of Myto sp. z o.o.
Modrzewiowa 23, 64-930 Dolaszewo, Poland; NIP: 7642670757; seed capital: 5000 zł