Erlang/OTP R13B02-1 has been released

Håkan Mattsson-2
Bug fix release   : otp_src_R13B02-1
Build date          : 2009-09-21
Reltool build date: 2009-09-23

This is R13B02-1, a patched version of R13B02 which was the second
maintenance release for the R13B major release. R13B02-1 has the
same contents as R13B02 with the exception of Reltool. In the new
version of Reltool (0.5.1) this nasty bug has been fixed:

   OTP-8199 In the new release of Reltool (0.5) there is a severe bug
                   that may cause your source files to be deleted. The bug is
                   triggered when you generate a target system WITH archive
                   files AND your library directories are given with absolute
                   paths. (Library directories are given with the ERL_LIBS
                   environment variable or with the lib_dirs configuration
                   parameter.)

You can find the README file for the R13B02-1 release at

 http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_src_R13B02-1.readme

The source distribution and binary distribution for Windows can be
downloaded from

 http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_src_R13B02-1.tar.gz
 http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_win32_R13B02-1.exe

The distribution can also be downloaded using the BitTorrent
protocol. Use the following torrent files to download the source
distribution and binary distribution for Windows:

 http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_src_R13B02-1.tar.gz.torrent
 http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_win32_R13B02-1.exe.torrent

Note: To unpack the TAR archive you need a GNU TAR compatible program.

For installation instructions please read the README file that is part
of the distribution.

The on-line documentation can be found at: http://www.erlang.org/doc/
You can also download the complete HTML documentation or the Unix manual files

 http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_doc_html_R13B02-1.tar.gz
 http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_doc_man_R13B02-1.tar.gz

We also want to thank those that sent us patches, suggestions and bug
reports,

The OTP Team

---
Håkan Mattsson (uabhams)
Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB

erlang-questions (at) erlang.org

Re: Erlang/OTP R13B02-1 has been released

Håkan Mattsson
The Windows exe is not yet available, but it will be released soon.

/Håkan
---
Håkan Mattsson (uabhams)
Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB

2009/9/23 Håkan Mattsson <[hidden email]>:

> Bug fix release   : otp_src_R13B02-1
> Build date          : 2009-09-21
> Reltool build date: 2009-09-23
>
> This is R13B02-1, a patched version of R13B02 which was the second
> maintenance release for the R13B major release. R13B02-1 has the
> same contents as R13B02 with the exception of Reltool. In the new
> version of Reltool (0.5.1) this nasty bug has been fixed:
>
>   OTP-8199 In the new release of Reltool (0.5) there is a severe bug
>                   that may cause your source files to be deleted. The bug is
>                   triggered when you generate a target system WITH archive
>                   files AND your library directories are given with absolute
>                   paths. (Library directories are given with the ERL_LIBS
>                   environment variable or with the lib_dirs configuration
>                   parameter.)
>
> You can find the README file for the R13B02-1 release at
>
>  http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_src_R13B02-1.readme
>
> The source distribution and binary distribution for Windows can be
> downloaded from
>
>  http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_src_R13B02-1.tar.gz
>  http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_win32_R13B02-1.exe
>
> The distribution can also be downloaded using the BitTorrent
> protocol. Use the following torrent files to download the source
> distribution and binary distribution for Windows:
>
>  http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_src_R13B02-1.tar.gz.torrent
>  http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_win32_R13B02-1.exe.torrent
>
> Note: To unpack the TAR archive you need a GNU TAR compatible program.
>
> For installation instructions please read the README file that is part
> of the distribution.
>
> The on-line documentation can be found at: http://www.erlang.org/doc/
> You can also download the complete HTML documentation or the Unix manual files
>
>  http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_doc_html_R13B02-1.tar.gz
>  http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_doc_man_R13B02-1.tar.gz
>
> We also want to thank those that sent us patches, suggestions and bug
> reports,
>
> The OTP Team
>
> ---
> Håkan Mattsson (uabhams)
> Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB

erlang-questions (at) erlang.org

Re: Erlang/OTP R13B02-1 has been released

Dave Smith-10
Thanks!

D.

2009/9/23 Håkan Mattsson <[hidden email]>:

> Bug fix release   : otp_src_R13B02-1
> Build date          : 2009-09-21
> Reltool build date: 2009-09-23
>
> This is R13B02-1, a patched version of R13B02 which was the second
> maintenance release for the R13B major release. R13B02-1 has the
> same contents as R13B02 with the exception of Reltool. In the new
> version of Reltool (0.5.1) this nasty bug has been fixed:
>
>   OTP-8199 In the new release of Reltool (0.5) there is a severe bug
>                   that may cause your source files to be deleted. The bug is
>                   triggered when you generate a target system WITH archive
>                   files AND your library directories are given with absolute
>                   paths. (Library directories are given with the ERL_LIBS
>                   environment variable or with the lib_dirs configuration
>                   parameter.)
>
> You can find the README file for the R13B02-1 release at
>
>  http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_src_R13B02-1.readme
>
> The source distribution and binary distribution for Windows can be
> downloaded from
>
>  http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_src_R13B02-1.tar.gz
>  http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_win32_R13B02-1.exe
>
> The distribution can also be downloaded using the BitTorrent
> protocol. Use the following torrent files to download the source
> distribution and binary distribution for Windows:
>
>  http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_src_R13B02-1.tar.gz.torrent
>  http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_win32_R13B02-1.exe.torrent
>
> Note: To unpack the TAR archive you need a GNU TAR compatible program.
>
> For installation instructions please read the README file that is part
> of the distribution.
>
> The on-line documentation can be found at: http://www.erlang.org/doc/
> You can also download the complete HTML documentation or the Unix manual files
>
>  http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_doc_html_R13B02-1.tar.gz
>  http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_doc_man_R13B02-1.tar.gz
>
> We also want to thank those that sent us patches, suggestions and bug
> reports,
>
> The OTP Team
>
> ---
> Håkan Mattsson (uabhams)
> Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB

erlang-questions (at) erlang.org

Re: Re: Erlang/OTP R13B02-1 has been released

Dave Pawson-2
2009/9/23 Håkan Mattsson <[hidden email]>:
> The Windows exe is not yet available, but it will be released soon.
#

Where it says 'Windows source', is that 'source' more generally,
I.e. should build on Linux?

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.

2009/9/23 Dave Pawson <[hidden email]>:
> 2009/9/23 Håkan Mattsson <[hidden email]>:
>> The Windows exe is not yet available, but it will be released soon.
> #
>
> Where it says 'Windows source', is that 'source' more generally,
> I.e. should build on Linux?

The source distribution can be used to build Erlang/OTP on all supported
platforms, including Windows. On WIndows you also have the option
to use the binary distribution, which contains a prebuilt system. The binary
distribution (Windows only) for R13B02-1  is not yet available, but it will be
released soon.

/Håkan
---
Håkan Mattsson (uabhams)
Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB

erlang-questions (at) erlang.org

Re: Erlang/OTP R13B02-1 has been released

Håkan Mattsson
Now it is available for Windows.

/Håkan

2009/9/23 Håkan Mattsson <[hidden email]>:

> The Windows exe is not yet available, but it will be released soon.
>
> /Håkan
> ---
> Håkan Mattsson (uabhams)
> Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB
>
> 2009/9/23 Håkan Mattsson <[hidden email]>:
>> Bug fix release   : otp_src_R13B02-1
>> Build date          : 2009-09-21
>> Reltool build date: 2009-09-23
>>
>> This is R13B02-1, a patched version of R13B02 which was the second
>> maintenance release for the R13B major release. R13B02-1 has the
>> same contents as R13B02 with the exception of Reltool. In the new
>> version of Reltool (0.5.1) this nasty bug has been fixed:
>>
>>   OTP-8199 In the new release of Reltool (0.5) there is a severe bug
>>                   that may cause your source files to be deleted. The bug is
>>                   triggered when you generate a target system WITH archive
>>                   files AND your library directories are given with absolute
>>                   paths. (Library directories are given with the ERL_LIBS
>>                   environment variable or with the lib_dirs configuration
>>                   parameter.)
>>
>> You can find the README file for the R13B02-1 release at
>>
>>  http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_src_R13B02-1.readme
>>
>> The source distribution and binary distribution for Windows can be
>> downloaded from
>>
>>  http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_src_R13B02-1.tar.gz
>>  http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_win32_R13B02-1.exe
>>
>> The distribution can also be downloaded using the BitTorrent
>> protocol. Use the following torrent files to download the source
>> distribution and binary distribution for Windows:
>>
>>  http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_src_R13B02-1.tar.gz.torrent
>>  http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_win32_R13B02-1.exe.torrent
>>
>> Note: To unpack the TAR archive you need a GNU TAR compatible program.
>>
>> For installation instructions please read the README file that is part
>> of the distribution.
>>
>> The on-line documentation can be found at: http://www.erlang.org/doc/
>> You can also download the complete HTML documentation or the Unix manual files
>>
>>  http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_doc_html_R13B02-1.tar.gz
>>  http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_doc_man_R13B02-1.tar.gz
>>
>> We also want to thank those that sent us patches, suggestions and bug
>> reports,
>>
>> The OTP Team
>>
>> ---
>> Håkan Mattsson (uabhams)
>> Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB

erlang-questions (at) erlang.org

how to document experimental status (Re: [erlang-questions] Erlang/OTP R13B02-1 has been released)

Ulf Wiger-3
Håkan Mattsson wrote:
> Bug fix release   : otp_src_R13B02-1
> Build date          : 2009-09-21
> Reltool build date: 2009-09-23
>
> This is R13B02-1, a patched version of R13B02 which was the second
> maintenance release for the R13B major release. R13B02-1 has the
> same contents as R13B02 with the exception of Reltool. In the new
> version of Reltool (0.5.1) this nasty bug has been fixed:

This problem has stirred some discussion about whether the
quality of the releases would be improved by a more open
process.

I don't want to stir that pot even more - but...

Reltool is experimental. While the version number does give
that away, and it says so in the release notes, shouldn't
this also be written in highlight, in both the user guide
and the reference manual?

I really had to search for it in the docs, and even started
doubting my memory for a while. I think anyone who missed it
may be excused for being somewhat annoyed.

BR,
Ulf W
--
Ulf Wiger
CTO, Erlang Training & Consulting Ltd

erlang-questions (at) erlang.org

how to document experimental status (Re: [erlang-questions] Erlang/OTP R13B02-1 has been released)

Attila Rajmund Nohl
2009/9/24, Ulf Wiger <[hidden email]>:
[...]
> Reltool is experimental. While the version number does give
> that away,

I don't know - I've used to use mplayer for years before it got to
version 1.0, so maybe version numbers are not that meaningful
nowadays...

> and it says so in the release notes,

In my experience that's a piece of documentation that is never read.

> shouldn't
> this also be written in highlight, in both the user guide
> and the reference manual?

Those look to better places. However, I have an other question - is it
really wise to bundle "enterprise-grade" software together with
experimental in the very same .tar archive? People might think that
the whole stuff is rock solid, not just parts with X.Y version number
where X>=1...

erlang-questions (at) erlang.org