Erlang/OTP R14B02 has been released

Kenneth Lundin
Erlang/OTP R14B02 has been released.

This release is mainly a stabilization of the R14B02 release (but there are
some new functionality as well).

You can find the README file for the release at

http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_src_R14B02.readme

The source distribution and binary distribution for Windows can be
downloaded from

http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_src_R14B02.tar.gz
http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_win32_R14B02.exe

The distribution can also be downloaded using the BitTorrent
protocol. Use the following torrent files to download the source
distribution and binary distribution for Windows:

http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_src_R14B02.tar.gz.torrent
http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_win32_R14B02.exe.torrent

Note: To unpack the TAR archive you need a GNU TAR compatible program.

For installation instructions please read the README file that is part
of the distribution.

The on-line documentation can be found at: http://www.erlang.org/doc/
You can also download the complete HTML documentation or the Unix manual files

http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_doc_html_R14B02.tar.gz
http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_doc_man_R14B02.tar.gz

We also want to thank those that sent us patches, suggestions and bug
reports,

The Erlang/OTP Team
Kenneth Lundin, Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB

Re: Erlang/OTP R14B02 has been released

Kenneth Lundin
Sorry I hit the send button to early.

A small correction regarding the paths to the torrents:

> The distribution can also be downloaded using the BitTorrent
> protocol. Use the following torrent files to download the source
> distribution and binary distribution for Windows:
>
> http://www.erlang.org/download/torrents/otp_src_R14B02.tar.gz.torrent
> http://www.erlang.org/download/torrents/otp_win32_R14B02.exe.torrent

> The Erlang/OTP Team
> Kenneth Lundin, Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB

Erlang/OTP R14B02 generating documentation from source problem

Damian Dobroczyński-2

Hi.

I downloaded, compiled and tried to "make docs" and "make install-docs".
The first went fine. The result of the latter is the following:

escript: exception error: undefined function xmerl:export_simple/2
  in function  erl_eval:do_apply/5
  in call from erl_eval:expr/5
  in call from erl_eval:exprs/5
  in call from erl_eval:local_func/5
  in call from escript:interpret/4
  in call from escript:start/1
  in call from init:start_it/1

So, I installed without docs ("make install") and then tried again. The
result was the same. So I removed all escript links and files that I had
had already (some artifacts from previous releases and such) so that I
had only fresh escript in the installation directory and a link in the
prefix (/usr/local/bin) directory. The result was the same. Can somebody
help me, please?

D.

0x0CAE3AEB.asc (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Erlang/OTP R14B02 generating documentation from source problem

Lukas Larsson-4
It seems to me like xmerl is not in the erlang install which is in your path. Check that xmerl-x.y.z is in the lib/ dir of the erlang you have in your path. or alternatively that you can load the xmerl module in a normal erlang shell.

Lukas

Re: Erlang/OTP R14B02 generating documentation from source problem

Kazuhiro Ogura
Hi,

I had the same error, and after some struggles,
finally I changed the shebang line of
lib/erl_docgen/priv/bin/xref_mod_app.escript
to the absolute path to escript, and it worked.

-#!/usr/bin/env escript
+#!/usr/local/bin/escript

I don't know why it worked,
so I can't tell whether this works for you or not.

Sure I have xmlerl-x.y.z in the lib/ dir, and I can load xmerl in a
normal erlang shell.
Also what's strange is that when I manually execute the command,
(which fails complaining about exception about xmerl:export_simple/2
in the make process),
it succeeds without any errors.

(May be some envvar passed to script is doing something wrong?)

Kazuhiro Ogura

2011/3/17 Lukas Larsson <[hidden email]>:

> It seems to me like xmerl is not in the erlang install which is in your path. Check that xmerl-x.y.z is in the lib/ dir of the erlang you have in your path. or alternatively that you can load the xmerl module in a normal erlang shell.
>
> Lukas

bsmr
Could You please say, which OS You use?

I reported this "strange behavior" for Ubuntu 10.04 / 10.10 some time ago.

  - boris

2011/3/21 Kazuhiro Ogura <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> I had the same error, and after some struggles,
> finally I changed the shebang line of
> lib/erl_docgen/priv/bin/xref_mod_app.escript
> to the absolute path to escript, and it worked.
>
> -#!/usr/bin/env escript
> +#!/usr/local/bin/escript
>
> I don't know why it worked,
> so I can't tell whether this works for you or not.
>
> Sure I have xmlerl-x.y.z in the lib/ dir, and I can load xmerl in a
> normal erlang shell.
> Also what's strange is that when I manually execute the command,
> (which fails complaining about exception about xmerl:export_simple/2
> in the make process),
> it succeeds without any errors.
>
> (May be some envvar passed to script is doing something wrong?)
>
> Kazuhiro Ogura
>
> 2011/3/17 Lukas Larsson <[hidden email]>:
>> It seems to me like xmerl is not in the erlang install which is in your path. Check that xmerl-x.y.z is in the lib/ dir of the erlang you have in your path. or alternatively that you can load the xmerl module in a normal erlang shell.
>>
>> Lukas

It was CentOS 5.5 (on vmware).

K.Ogura

2011/3/21 Boris Mühmer <[hidden email]>:

> Could You please say, which OS You use?
>
> I reported this "strange behavior" for Ubuntu 10.04 / 10.10 some time ago.
>

>  - boris
>

> 2011/3/21 Kazuhiro Ogura <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I had the same error, and after some struggles,
>> finally I changed the shebang line of
>> lib/erl_docgen/priv/bin/xref_mod_app.escript
>> to the absolute path to escript, and it worked.
>>
>> -#!/usr/bin/env escript
>> +#!/usr/local/bin/escript
>>
>> I don't know why it worked,
>> so I can't tell whether this works for you or not.
>>
>> Sure I have xmlerl-x.y.z in the lib/ dir, and I can load xmerl in a
>> normal erlang shell.
>> Also what's strange is that when I manually execute the command,
>> (which fails complaining about exception about xmerl:export_simple/2
>> in the make process),
>> it succeeds without any errors.
>>
>> (May be some envvar passed to script is doing something wrong?)
>>
>> Kazuhiro Ogura
>>
>> 2011/3/17 Lukas Larsson <[hidden email]>:
>>> It seems to me like xmerl is not in the erlang install which is in your path. Check that xmerl-x.y.z is in the lib/ dir of the erlang you have in your path. or alternatively that you can load the xmerl module in a normal erlang shell.
>>>
>>> Lukas

rholmes
bsmr wrote
Could You please say, which OS You use?

I reported this "strange behavior" for Ubuntu 10.04 / 10.10 some time ago.

See http://www.erlang.org/faq.html
Just for the record, I experienced the same problem on Macintosh (OS X 10.6.7 "Snow Leopard") -- the workaround was the same as Kasuhiro Ogura described.  Other than Java running out of memory a few times (?!?!) both the executable and the document install went great and I'm having fun with the language!