Erlang/OTP interpreter (erl) not found but required

Erlang/OTP interpreter (erl) not found but required

Abhishek Ranjan-2

I was installing ejabberd 17.03 through source code when I found that I needed to intall Erlang 17.1 for it. I installed erlang /otp 17.1 using kerl inside the /home/ec2-user/kerl/17.1 directory.

I then used  ./autogen.sh command which ran without any output

       then:  ./configure which gave this error

configure: error: Erlang/OTP interpreter (erl) not found but required

Can anyone help?

Regards,

Abhishek

Re: Erlang/OTP interpreter (erl) not found but required

Abhishek Ranjan-2
home/ec2-user is my home directory or should I say the default directory when I make the ssh connection to server.
so i ran : KERL_ENABLE_PROMPT=y . ~/kerl/17.1/activate
command when I was in this home directory.
I think I missed a trick here as I am not familiar with linux and how to set path in linux and that's why maybe when I go to home/ec2-user/download/ejabberd.17.03/
and run ./configure command it is giving me this error.
what I understand is the line which you are saying that I missed is the same line as
KERL_ENABLE_PROMPT=y . ~/kerl/17.1/activate
but may be I gave a wrong path or ran it from wrong place (home/ec2-user).
I followed: https://yrsdi.github.io/programming/setup-erlang-with-kerl-mac-osx/
Can you gauge where I am going wrong exactly

On May 3, 2017 at 3:06 PM Jack Tang <[hidden email]> wrote:

You might miss to run `$ . /path/to/install/dir/activate`.

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 5:22 PM, Abhishek Ranjan <[hidden email]> wrote:

I was installing ejabberd 17.03 through source code when I found that I needed to intall Erlang 17.1 for it. I installed erlang /otp 17.1 using kerl inside the /home/ec2-user/kerl/17.1 directory.

I then used  ./autogen.sh command which ran without any output

       then:  ./configure which gave this error

configure: error: Erlang/OTP interpreter (erl) not found but required

Can anyone help?

Regards,

Abhishek

Re: Erlang/OTP interpreter (erl) not found butrequired

Nuku Ameyibor
@ Ranjan,

KERL_ENABLE_PROMPT=Y
. ~/kerl/17.1/activate
They are two separate commands not one command.
Run them one after the other .
After that run
which erl
That command will show you the path to your current activated erlang version .

Re: Erlang/OTP interpreter (erl) not found butrequired

Abhishek Ranjan-2
it is giving me this path "/kerl/17.1/bin/erl"
which is actually inside /home/ec2-user/

what I feel is that this erl should have been inside /usr/bin/ directory and instead it is inside
/home/ec2-user//kerl/17.1/bin/erl

So is there any way I can change this path to /usr/bin.
Please tell me if I am thinking right first and if so how can this be done in linux(amazon linux or fedora).

On May 3, 2017 at 4:01 PM Nuku Ameyibor <[hidden email]> wrote:

@ Ranjan,

KERL_ENABLE_PROMPT=Y
. ~/kerl/17.1/activate
They are two separate commands not one command.
Run them one after the other .
After that run
which erl
That command will show you the path to your current activated erlang version .

Re: Erlang/OTP interpreter (erl) not found butrequired

Leonard Boyce-2

On May 3, 2017 06:47, "Abhishek Ranjan" <[hidden email]> wrote:
it is giving me this path "/kerl/17.1/bin/erl"
which is actually inside /home/ec2-user/

what I feel is that this erl should have been inside /usr/bin/ directory and instead it is inside
/home/ec2-user//kerl/17.1/bin/erl

So is there any way I can change this path to /usr/bin.
Please tell me if I am thinking right first and if so how can this be done in linux(amazon linux or fedora).

How about following a guide step by step for Fedora, not OSX. A quick Google yields some simple instructions.

On May 3, 2017 at 4:01 PM Nuku Ameyibor <[hidden email]> wrote:

@ Ranjan,

KERL_ENABLE_PROMPT=Y
. ~/kerl/17.1/activate
They are two separate commands not one command.
Run them one after the other .
After that run
which erl
That command will show you the path to your current activated erlang version .

Re: Erlang/OTP interpreter (erl) not found butrequired

Abhishek Ranjan-2
I actually followed it apart from the export command so after using export path command also the error still pops up that -> configure: error: Erlang/OTP interpreter (erl) not found but required
Complete scenario went something like this:

[ec2-user@ip-172-31-22-88 ~]$ kerl list builds
17.1,erlang-17.1
17.1,erl
[ec2-user@ip-172-31-22-88 ~]$ export PATH=$PATH: ~/kerl/17.1/bin/erl
-bash: export: `/home/ec2-user/kerl/17.1/bin/erl': not a valid identifier

[ec2-user@ip-172-31-22-88 ~]$ export PATH=$PATH:~/home/ec2-user/kerl/17.1/bin/erl
[ec2-user@ip-172-31-22-88 ~]$ erl
-bash: erl: command not found
[ec2-user@ip-172-31-22-88 ~]$ kerl active
No Erlang/OTP kerl installation is currently active
[ec2-user@ip-172-31-22-88 ~]$ export PATH=$PATH:~/home/ec2-user/kerl/17.1/bin/erl

[ec2-user@ip-172-31-22-88 ~]$ . ~/kerl/17.1/activate
[ec2-user@ip-172-31-22-88 ~]$ kerl active
The current active installation is:
/home/ec2-user/kerl/17.1
[ec2-user@ip-172-31-22-88 ~]$ erl
Erlang/OTP 17 [erts-6.1] [source] [64-bit] [async-threads:10] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]

Eshell V6.1 (abort with ^G)
1> q().
ok
2> [ec2-user@ip-172-31-22-88 ~]$ cd downloads/

[ec2-user@ip-172-31-22-88 ejabberd-17.03]$ cd ejabberd-17.03/
[ec2-user@ip-172-31-22-88 ejabberd-17.03]$ ./configure
./configure: line 1529: config.log: Permission denied
./configure: line 1539: config.log: Permission denied
[ec2-user@ip-172-31-22-88 ejabberd-17.03]$ ./autogen.sh
autom4te: cannot open autom4te.cache/requests: Permission denied
aclocal: error: echo failed with exit status: 1
autom4te: cannot open autom4te.cache/requests: Permission denied
[ec2-user@ip-172-31-22-88 ejabberd-17.03]$ yum install automake
Loaded plugins: priorities, update-motd, upgrade-helper
You need to be root to perform this command.
[ec2-user@ip-172-31-22-88 ejabberd-17.03]$ sudo su
[root@ip-172-31-22-88 ejabberd-17.03]# yum install automake
Loaded plugins: priorities, update-motd, upgrade-helper
amzn-main | 2.1 kB 00:00
amzn-updates | 2.3 kB 00:00
Package automake-1.13.4-3.15.amzn1.noarch already installed and latest version
Nothing to do
[root@ip-172-31-22-88 ejabberd-17.03]# ./autogen.sh
[root@ip-172-31-22-88 ejabberd-17.03]# ./configure
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
checking for erl... no
checking for erlc... /usr/bin/erlc
checking for epmd... /usr/bin/epmd
checking for erl... no

On May 3, 2017 at 4:17 PM Abhishek Ranjan <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

this line is wrong .it should be
 export PATH=$PATH: ~/kerl/17.1/bin

also in this step
[ec2-user@ip-172-31-22-88 ejabberd-17.03]$ ./configure
it should be
 ./configure –bindir=~/home/ec2-user/kerl/17.1/bin

also i though you were installing on a fedora box ?
why not try the fedora option for the erlang installation  ?

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 11:35 AM, Abhishek Ranjan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

No i am still getting the same error and the line
./configure –bindir=~/home/ec2-user/kerl/17.1/bin
is giving the following error too

[root@ip-172-31-22-88 ejabberd-17.03]# ./configure –Bindir=~/home/ec2-user/kerl/ 17.1/bin
configure: error: invalid variable name: `–Bindir'

Actually it is a amazon aws linux instance and it 's is the only option I have for now.
Any Ideas on how to make it work or any ideas on how to install ejabberd 17.03 or higher in this environment. I have already tried the binary installer and it worked at start but it didn't work on second installation.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/43754066/issue-with-ejabberds-installation-on-amazon-aws

kindly help.

On May 3, 2017 at 5:45 PM Nuku Ameyibor <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I did an uninstall of the previous version of erlang and the ./configure gave following errors

[ec2-user@ip-172-31-22-88 ejabberd-17.03]$ sudo ./configure
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
checking for erl... no
checking for erlc... no
checking for epmd... no
checking for erl... no
configure: error: Erlang/OTP interpreter (erl) not found but required

and that is why I was suspecting that whenever I run the ./configure command the script goes to
/usr/bin
and search for erl ,erlc....etc
That is why I asked that is there any way that I can set my erl path to /usr/bin which is currently gives that following path on "which erl"
~/kerl/17.1/bin/erl

or should I install erlang again. if so can anyone tell me how to make the erl path specifically such that it points to /usr/bin and still the erlang shell works on typing erl alone?

On May 3, 2017 at 6:25 PM Abhishek Ranjan <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Jesper Louis Andersen-2
The ejabberd build script may be a bit weak.

* try using an explicit path rather than ~/... expand it to /home/ubuntu (or the output of echo ~) in order to make sure you don't get accidentally name expanded as root.
* do not use sudo when building the software. It should build without.
* ./configure --with-erlang=/home/ubuntu/kerl/17.1 or set ERLC=$(which erlc) and also set ERL=$(which erl)

Configure scripts can *definitely* build without the Erlang being in the default location. It is just a question of coercion.

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 3:28 PM Abhishek Ranjan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

the problem is that not only is it able to find erl and erlc but also empd and other erlang files after i have uninstalled the previous older version of Erlang. It is giving the following errrors:
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
checking for erl... no
checking for erlc... no
checking for epmd... no
checking for erl... no
configure: error: Erlang/OTP interpreter (erl) not found but required

and If i don't run the maands after sudo su I get the following errors:
[ec2-user@ip-172-31-22-88 ejabberd-17.03]$ ./configure
./configure: line 1529: config.log: Permission denied
./configure: line 1539: config.log: Permission denied

But I do want do "set ERLC=$(which erlc) and also set ERL=$(which erl"
but how can I set them
I have used simple-> set erlc=$(which erlc)
set erl=$(which erl)
But then also on doing ./configure followed by sudo su gives me the same error of
configure: error: Erlang/OTP interpreter (erl) not found but required

Please suggest some Ideas

On May 3, 2017 at 7:50 PM Jesper Louis Andersen <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

hi
I have been trying different things regarding this problem and seems like I have solve the problem of
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
checking for erl... no
checking for erlc... no
checking for epmd... no
checking for erl... no
configure: error: Erlang/OTP interpreter (erl) not found but required

and now it worked fine when I execute ./configure command. But I have been following this link for ejabberd's installation:
https://www.aurigait.com/blog/how-to-setup-ejabbered-on-ubuntu

and in here(the link) in the step 4 i have sucessfully gone through the configure command but when I am running make command it breaks like this:

==> fast_xml (compile)
Compiled src/fxml_gen_pt.erl
Compiled src/fxml_sup.erl
Compiled src/fxml.erl
Compiled src/fxml_stream.erl
Compiled src/fxmlrpc.erl
Compiled src/fast_xml.erl
Compiled src/fxmlrpc_codec.erl
Compiled src/fxml_gen.erl
Compiling c_src/fxml.c
Compiling /home/ec2-user/downloads/ejabberd-17.03/ejabberd-17.03/deps/fast_xml/c _src/fxml_stream.c
/home/ec2-user/downloads/ejabberd-17.03/ejabberd-17.03/deps/fast_xml/c_src/fxml_ stream.c:21:19: fatal error: expat.h: No such file or directory
#include <expat.h>
^
compilation terminated.
ERROR: compile failed while processing /home/ec2-user/downloads/ejabberd-17.03/e jabberd-17.03/deps/fast_xml: rebar_abort
make: *** [deps/.built] Error 1

what does it means by fatal error expat.h not found in directory. I was just following the steps then where did it went wrong?

Any Idea?
Please Share.

On May 4, 2017 at 10:46 AM Abhishek Ranjan <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Apologies for the top post.

It seems to me that your primary problem is you're activating/setting path for your normal user, then su to root. root does not have the path for erl set, which is why it cannot find anything.

Try adding path to erl to root's PATH.

Leonard

On May 4, 2017 03:07, "Abhishek Ranjan" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

yes I figured out that I was in my home directory and installing stuff that's what made problems. Went to root,followed the steps which were missing some steps in between on each link I went through but in the end by combining them and using them I managed to install ejabberd 17.03 from source.
Thank you very much for the help.
Regards,
Abhishek