Erlang Text Editor Searching

by

Erlang Text Editor Searching

by
Hello,

I am new to Erlang, and trying to find a modern text editor for it.

I build Erlang from source, and I can use the basic Erlang Mode happily.
But seems the basic erlang-mode with emacs does not contain some *key* features would be needed as a modern text editor, like auto-complete.
Actually, as a text editor, I think I just need the auto completion of library/custom modules and functions, other advanced features is not needed for now.

Which text editor do you use in daily life?
I really want to get me into emacs world but found not quite easy, a suggestion about emacs extensions would be very helpful.

By the way, I tried Visual Studio Code with the Erlang extension, it works amazing.

Best Regards,
Yao

Re: Erlang Text Editor Searching

Code Wiget
Hi.

You can do everything and more with vim. Syntax highlighting, compile on save, c-tags for erlang, templates (gen_servers, statems, etc..) https://github.com/vim-erlang. You get all of the amazing features that you get with standard vim.

I started using sublime, then tried Eclipse for Erlang, but became so much faster when I started using vim.  I haven’t been able to find a feature in an editor that I couldn’t replicate in vim easily and WITHOUT having to use my dumb mouse.

On Nov 26, 2018, 7:20 PM -0500, by <[hidden email]>, wrote:
Hello,

I am new to Erlang, and trying to find a modern text editor for it.

I build Erlang from source, and I can use the basic Erlang Mode happily.
But seems the basic erlang-mode with emacs does not contain some *key* features would be needed as a modern text editor, like auto-complete.
Actually, as a text editor, I think I just need the auto completion of library/custom modules and functions, other advanced features is not needed for now.

Which text editor do you use in daily life?
I really want to get me into emacs world but found not quite easy, a suggestion about emacs extensions would be very helpful.

By the way, I tried Visual Studio Code with the Erlang extension, it works amazing.

Best Regards,
Yao

Re: Erlang Text Editor Searching

Boroska András
There was a recent presentation on the subject:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8n3C-CNxCw
Led

Re: Erlang Text Editor Searching

Led

Which text editor do you use in daily life?

Kate with custom improved highlights.

--
Led.

Re: Erlang Text Editor Searching

dieter
Hi Yao,

If you want to give emacs another try, there are several autocomplete modes,
for example auto-complete and company.
(I have tried auto-complete with erlang)

For symbol searches I am using etags (comes with emacs), you use it like
  etags *.erl
which creates a tags file with all recognized definitions.
You have to tell emacs where to find this file with visit-tags-table, or you set
one of the variables tags-table-list (good if you work on several projects) or
tags-file-name (just one project).

Then you can visit the definition of a symbol with M-. and jump back with M-,

I usually perform the creation of the tags file as target in a Makefile.

You might have a bit more work than in a mainstream IDE,
but I like the fact that I have everything under control.
And I like elisp very much, besides erlang.

Kind regards,
Dieter

Am Di., Nov. 27, 2018 01:20 schrieb by <[hidden email]>:
Hello,

I am new to Erlang, and trying to find a modern text editor for it.

I build Erlang from source, and I can use the basic Erlang Mode happily.
But seems the basic erlang-mode with emacs does not contain some *key* features would be needed as a modern text editor, like auto-complete.
Actually, as a text editor, I think I just need the auto completion of library/custom modules and functions, other advanced features is not needed for now.

Which text editor do you use in daily life?
I really want to get me into emacs world but found not quite easy, a suggestion about emacs extensions would be very helpful.

By the way, I tried Visual Studio Code with the Erlang extension, it works amazing.

Best Regards,
Yao

Re: Erlang Text Editor Searching

Jesper Louis Andersen-2
On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 1:20 AM by <[hidden email]> wrote:
Which text editor do you use in daily life?
I really want to get me into emacs world but found not quite easy, a suggestion about emacs extensions would be very helpful.

Most people start from a base of packages selected by someone else and then changes those to their own liking. Look at e.g., 'prelude', 'emacs-starter-kit', or Bodil Stokke's 'ohai-emacs' for inspiration. My own is probably not that neatly laid out[0]

If there is one package to recommend, it would be John Wiegley's use-package. This package allows you to manage configuration of other packages in a very streamlined fashion. If we have e.g.,

(use-package swiper
  :ensure t
  :after (ivy)

  :bind
  ("C-s" . swiper))

but we don't want that, we just set ":disabled t" and then all the keybinding configuration is also gone. You can toggle packages efficiently by doing this.

In the past, I've been really fond of:

* CygnusEd
* vi (and later vim)
* Acme (Plan9)

I also tend to like VS Code a lot. I have it installed on a windows box of mine and I use it for text editing on that machine. But most of my real work is done in Emacs nowadays. The key is to pick one editor and then learn it well, including key bindings and efficient editing techniques. Staying with one tool for a while will eventually pay off. Jumping between editors tend to reset your experience, and that is going to be detrimental in the long run.

All that said, however, you can program in any editor, and Erlang tends to be succinct enough that it forgives even notepad.exe. This is not the case with verbose languages, such as Java, which more or less require good editor support or a full IDE.

--
J.

by

Re: Erlang Text Editor Searching

by
Thanks a lot for all your suggestions.

After considering these ideas, I decide to learn Emacs with extensions for Erlang at first, since Emacs is not easy to get started, I am not sure whether Emacs will be my final choice.

I wrote some front-end projects with VS Code, I must say, as a text editor, VS Code is just wonderful for front-end developers out-of-the-box.
The Erlang extension for VS Code is also very easy to use.
Actually, in my view, as a project, the default behavior is very important. Users should take very simple/stupid steps to get into the project, the advanced feature or customization should be another topic. VS Code is a good example, I download it, open project folder, then write the code(front-end); or, I install the Erlang extension, then write the Erlang code.

And yes, I know Emacs is very flexible, but the Emacs world is just not easy to get into.
I used vi before, and am happy about it for simple file editing, but never tried vim with advanced plugins.

Use Erlang as an another example, I am attracted by the world view of Erlang: observe the world, and write program based on the observation.
This is simple, and I get started without too much pain. And I know Erlang is hard in some sense, but this is another topic.

I think I will use Emacs and VS Code at the same time. If I have time and configured Emacs to a handy state, It will be choice.

Best Regards,
Yao

by

Re: Erlang Text Editor Searching

by
Hello,

Good news.
Based on below link, I configured my Emacs to a state which can do auto-completion and simple error/warning checking, it just works.

Just put here for newbies like me get into Erlang/Emacs world more smoothly.
I used Erlang/OTP 19 and distel+company-distel to do the auto-completion configuration.

During this process, I do realized that the key is to pick a text editor, then, live with it.
I am lucky that Emacs smiled upon me.

Best Regards,
Yao

在 2018年11月27日,22:13,by <[hidden email]> 写道: