Erlang: a European phenomenon?

Chris Pressey
I was wondering to myself, who else in Canada uses Erlang?

Well, the first name that popped into my mind was Ericsson, of course!
But after about an hour scouring their employment opportunities (
http://www.ericsson.com/CA/career_opportunities/montreal/jobs.shtml ) I
found not a single mention of Erlang!  A search for Erlang on Ericsson's
global site returns links mainly to ericsson.se with almost no mention
of North America.

It's not that I'm very surprised, it seems to be giving credit to my
theory that companies (esp. in NA) will tend to use languages for which
it is cheap to hire programmers... regardless of the language's
strengths and weaknesses... a theory that I'd rather see disproven :-)
but seems to be an unfortunate economic "truth" of our time.

Please, someone tell me I'm not the only person on this continent using
Erlang! :-)

_chris

--
Change rules.

Erlang: a European phenomenon?

Tony Gahlinger
Hmm .. try

        http://www.motivity.ca/

spearheaded by Vance Shipley--a quite regular contributor to this
list--with the odd aiding and abetting on my part. We've been using
Erlang/OTP as the focal development bed for our telecom products for
the past three years.

--Tony

Chris Pressey wrote:

> I was wondering to myself, who else in Canada uses Erlang?
>
> Well, the first name that popped into my mind was Ericsson, of course!
> But after about an hour scouring their employment opportunities (
> http://www.ericsson.com/CA/career_opportunities/montreal/jobs.shtml ) I
> found not a single mention of Erlang!  A search for Erlang on Ericsson's
> global site returns links mainly to ericsson.se with almost no mention
> of North America.
>
> It's not that I'm very surprised, it seems to be giving credit to my
> theory that companies (esp. in NA) will tend to use languages for which
> it is cheap to hire programmers... regardless of the language's
> strengths and weaknesses... a theory that I'd rather see disproven :-)
> but seems to be an unfortunate economic "truth" of our time.
>
> Please, someone tell me I'm not the only person on this continent using
> Erlang! :-)
>
> _chris
>
> --
> Change rules.

Tony Gahlinger & Associates Inc.
Telecommunication Consultants and Software Development
48 Combermere Crescent, Waterloo ON  N2L 5B1
519-888-6267  Fax: 519-888-9127

Erlang: a European phenomenon?

Joe Williams-2

> I was wondering to myself, who else in Canada uses Erlang?

   Nortel :-)

  /Joe

--
Joe Armstrong,
Alteon WebSystems,                     tel:  +46 8-545 550 00

Tony Gahlinger wrote:
> Hmm .. try
>         http://www.motivity.ca/
> spearheaded by Vance Shipley--a quite regular contributor to this
> list--with the odd aiding and abetting on my part. We've been using
> Erlang/OTP as the focal development bed for our telecom products for
> the past three years.

D'oh.  A simple search for "Erlang Canada" on dogpile would have
revealed Motivity.  Thanks and sorry to bother you for it.

For completeness' sake, I also found a Toronto company called Vengeance
( http://www.venge.net/ ) which advertises their ability to use Erlang
as well.

Does anyone know what happened to ETOS?  The URL
http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~etos/ seems to have changed permissions and
is no longer world-readable.

_chris

--
"Ten short days ago all I could look forward to was a dead-end job as a
engineer.  Now I have a promising future and make really big Zorkmids."

Erlang: a European phenomenon?

Marc Feeley-2
> Does anyone know what happened to ETOS?  The URL
> http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~etos/ seems to have changed permissions and
> is no longer world-readable.

The project is still ongoing.  The bottleneck right now is the next
release of the Gambit-C Scheme compiler which is taking much longer
than expected.  It includes some special support for the (new version
of the) ETOS compiler, allowing faster threading and pattern matching.
There will be a new release of ETOS shortly after the release
of Gambit-C.

The ETOS web page is now back online: http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~etos

Marc