Erlang & SCTP

Serge Aleynikov-4
Hi,

Is there an SCTP driver for Erlang?  Are there plans to include it in
the upcoming distribution?

Thanks.

Serge

Erlang & SCTP

Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB)

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 07:49:12 -0400, Serge Aleynikov <serge>
wrote:

>  Is there an SCTP driver for Erlang?  Are there plans to include it in
> the upcoming distribution?

The AXD 301 uses SCTP, and has a home-made interface to an SCTP stack
developed in-house. There have been some discussions about making
an OTP interface to SCTP, but in the past, it has been hampered
somewhat by the fact that so few OSes offer SCTP as a standard service.

/Uffe
--
Ulf Wiger

Erlang & SCTP

Vance Shipley-2
Uffe,

Solaris 10 now includes SCTP.

        http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/817-4415/6mjum5sgj?q=sctp&a=view

        -Vance

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 05:43:35PM +0200, Ulf Wiger wrote:
}
}  The AXD 301 uses SCTP, and has a home-made interface to an SCTP stack
}  developed in-house. There have been some discussions about making
}  an OTP interface to SCTP, but in the past, it has been hampered
}  somewhat by the fact that so few OSes offer SCTP as a standard service.
}
}  /Uffe

Erlang & SCTP

Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB)
On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 16:04:20 -0400, Vance Shipley <vances>
wrote:

> Uffe,
>
> Solaris 10 now includes SCTP.
>
> http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/817-4415/6mjum5sgj?q=sctp&a=view

Well, finally. I had almost given up on the idea of them
ever supporting their SCTP implementation.

And lksctp (Linux Kernel SCTP) is officially in the 2.6
kernel. Things are shaping up. (:

/Uffe
--
Ulf Wiger

Erlang & SCTP

Hal Snyder-2
"Ulf Wiger" <ulf.wiger> writes:

> On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 16:04:20 -0400, Vance Shipley <vances>
> wrote:
>
>> Uffe,
>>
>> Solaris 10 now includes SCTP.
>>
>> http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/817-4415/6mjum5sgj?q=sctp&a=view
>
> Well, finally. I had almost given up on the idea of them ever
> supporting their SCTP implementation.
>
> And lksctp (Linux Kernel SCTP) is officially in the 2.6 kernel.
> Things are shaping up. (:

For MAC and BSD's, there's the kame integration:
http://www.sctp.org/index.html

Erlang & SCTP

Serge Aleynikov-4
As we saw in responses in this thread, Solaris, Linux (2.6.x), BSD and
Mac all have SCTP kernel-level implementations.  The socket API
extension with SCTP support was standardized.

I think it's about time to revisit the question on including SCTP
interface to the OTP.  While it's quite easy to implement, as the API
looks very similar to its TCP/UDP counterparts, I think that it would be
a valuable complement to the Erlang suit of features that would give
even more power in designing fault-tolerant distributed systems than
what is available in current release.

Another two nice OTP additions would be M3UA and SUA implementations... :-)

Serge