Erlang as .so

Vlad Dumitrescu-3
Hi all!

I wonder if it's possible to use the Erlang VM as a shared library, to be
included in another program. This for example would allow a nicer graphical
interface.

Can it be done? If yes, is it documented? It would be nice if it was a fully
encapsulated library (? la SAE), but for now I'd settle for just sharing
'erl'

My priority list is to first try it on Windows, and then check Linux.

cheers, Vlad

Erlang as .so

Jakob Praher
At 09:52 2001-02-20 +0100, you wrote:

>Hi all!
>
>I wonder if it's possible to use the Erlang VM as a shared library, to be
>included in another program. This for example would allow a nicer
>graphical interface.
>
>Can it be done? If yes, is it documented? It would be nice if it was a
>fully encapsulated library (? la SAE), but for now I'd settle for just
>sharing 'erl'
>
>My priority list is to first try it on Windows, and then check Linux.
>
>cheers, Vlad

Well, on Windows you're in luck, because it's that way since R7; the
emulator is contained in a dll, beam.dll, which is linked to erl.exe and
werl.exe. It is feasible, but not easy, to link it to your own program.
Check the source for werl.exe.

Speaking of a better interface, I've been thinking of that for a long time.
Werl is not much better than the command-line interface, and not all of us
think that shell mode in emacs is the ultimate IDE. When I've finished some
stuff I will look into it.

/Jakob

Erlang as .so

Vance Shipley-2
> Werl is not much better than the command-line interface, and not

It would at least be nice if cut & paste worked properly.  Currently
it works just a little bit better than the DOS shell.  What I'd really
like is for it to work as XWindows (cut with left, paste with middle).

> all of us think that shell mode in emacs is the ultimate IDE. When
> I've finished some stuff I will look into it.
>
> /Jakob

I've been tempted for some time to rewrite edlin.erl for vi mode.

        -Vance