Erlang book

Joe Armstrong (AL/EAB)
At the last erlang conferense the idea of a new erlang book was discussed.

I mailed O'reilly they wern't interested - not a big enough market.

To jump start this I propose a wiki book - It's started at

http://www.bluetail.com/wiki/showPage?node=ErlangOnLineBook

There is a chapter plan at

http://www.geocities.com/erlang_journal/book1.html

Please hold detailed discussions on the wiki

/Joe

Erlang book

Bjarne Däcker-2
Joe Armstrong wrote:

> At the last erlang conferense the idea of a new erlang book was discussed.
>
> I mailed O'reilly they wern't interested - not a big enough market.

Why not ask Prentice-Hall ?

Stick with your old friends !

Bjarne

Erlang book

Robert Virding-4
Bjarne =?iso-8859-1?Q?D=E4cker?= <bjarne> writes:

>Joe Armstrong wrote:
>
>> At the last erlang conferense the idea of a new erlang book was discussed.
>>
>> I mailed O'reilly they wern't interested - not a big enough market.
>
>Why not ask Prentice-Hall ?
>
>Stick with your old friends !
>
>Bjarne

Of course but Joe wants to do an O'Reilly book! :-)

        Robert

Erlang book

Vance Shipley-2

How about an "Erlang for Dummies" book?   :)

        -Vance

Erlang book

David Fox

On torsdag, oktober 18, 2001, at 12:19 , Joe Armstrong wrote:

> At the last erlang conferense the idea of a new erlang book was
> discussed.
>
> I mailed O'reilly they wern't interested - not a big enough market.

I like the "look and feel" of the books from new riders
(www.newriders.com). Maybe they could be persuaded. (How about a b&w
picture of a lighthouse and a stormy sea on the cover ?)

--david.

Erlang book

Garry Hodgson-3
Vance Shipley wrote:

> How about an "Erlang for Dummies" book?   :)

dummies shouldn't use erlang.  or computers, for that matter.

--
Garry Hodgson                   One way or another
Senior Hacker                   One way or another

Erlang book

Robert Virding-4
I liked the book plan.  Some comments:

1. I don't think it should be too chatty, even with attitude.  It is
important to remember that this will be *THE* Erlang book.

2. I think you need to filter your examples better.  Perhaps more of
what is Erlang is really good for, not what you can write in Erlang.

3. Be careful to separate the hands-on stuff from descriptions of the
language/libraries/OTP.  Otherwise some people may get a bit confused
as to what is the language and what is the implementation.  Also
seeing different OSes look different you may confuse just the people
you want and need to help.

4. Much more OTP.  This is the killer app.

Even if O'Reilly aren't interested can/should we still use their style
sheets etc?  If the book come out on the net they will probably never
become interested.  Any better alternatives?  Another  publisher.

        Robert