Erlang in healthcare or medical devices?

Erlang in healthcare or medical devices?

Albin Stigö-2
Hello,

Apologize if this is slightly of topic.

I'm an anesthesiologist/programmer. I'm interested in the programming
of medical information systems and devices. I have quite recently
gotten seriously started in Erlang and am quite impressed with the
system.

I'm interested in working and pursuing research in this area. To get
started I'm looking for some examples where people have successfully
used Erlang in this field?

--Albin

Re: Erlang in healthcare or medical devices?

Karl Velicka
Hi Albin,

This is probably the closest thing that I'm aware of:

I see that the slides of the talk are available in the website I linked but it was being filmed too, so hopefully the video will be released at some point as well.

All the best,
Karl

On 8 Jul 2017 13:23, "Albin Stigö" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

Apologize if this is slightly of topic.

I'm an anesthesiologist/programmer. I'm interested in the programming
of medical information systems and devices. I have quite recently
gotten seriously started in Erlang and am quite impressed with the
system.

I'm interested in working and pursuing research in this area. To get
started I'm looking for some examples where people have successfully
used Erlang in this field?

--Albin

Re: Erlang in healthcare or medical devices?

Jesper Louis Andersen-2
Another slightly relevant project is the one running the danish pharmacy prescriptions. It is relevant for discussion as there are some unique properties people tend to want out of such a system:

- High resilience. It can be fatal if prescriptions doesn't work for some people. Thus, the system must be able to handle itself in case of partial failure of some parts.
- Clear audit trail. It should be possible to know what happened to a given prescription.

Interestingly, Richard Cook--also an anesthesiologist by trade--has written some of the best work on complex system architectures: http://web.mit.edu/2.75/resources/random/How%20Complex%20Systems%20Fail.pdf

His main point is that any complex system must be able to adapt in order to have correct operation.

On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 2:58 PM Karl Velicka <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Nathaniel Waisbrot
> I'm an anesthesiologist/programmer. I'm interested in the programming
> of medical information systems and devices. I have quite recently
> gotten seriously started in Erlang and am quite impressed with the
> system.
>
> I'm interested in working and pursuing research in this area. To get
> started I'm looking for some examples where people have successfully
> used Erlang in this field?

I worked at one company that did healthcare-focused text messaging and we used ejabberd. Reliable delivery despite flakey Internet on mobile devices was key and Erlang was helpful in expressing that constraint.
I was at another where we made a fitness wearable device and used Erlang for the server-side handling of biometric data. The important thing there was to route relatively small amounts of binary data with low latency. That was a pretty obvious fit for Erlang, and matching on binary data in Erlang is always fun.

Re: Erlang in healthcare or medical devices?

Albin Stigö-2
That's really interesting! I have actually read that paper but was not
aware that he's also an anesthesiologist. Will definitively look more

Also very interested to learn that FMK is implemented in Erlang... I
have actually used that system as I did part of my training in
Denmark.

What I haven't found so far is medical hardware using Erlang internally...

--Albin

On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 5:23 PM, Jesper Louis Andersen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Another slightly relevant project is the one running the danish pharmacy
> prescriptions. It is relevant for discussion as there are some unique
> properties people tend to want out of such a system:
>
> - High resilience. It can be fatal if prescriptions doesn't work for some
> people. Thus, the system must be able to handle itself in case of partial
> failure of some parts.
> - Clear audit trail. It should be possible to know what happened to a given
> prescription.
>
> Interestingly, Richard Cook--also an anesthesiologist by trade--has written
> some of the best work on complex system architectures:
> http://web.mit.edu/2.75/resources/random/How%20Complex%20Systems%20Fail.pdf
>
> His main point is that any complex system must be able to adapt in order to
> have correct operation.
>
> On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 2:58 PM Karl Velicka <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Albin,
>>
>> This is probably the closest thing that I'm aware of:
>>
>> http://www.erlang-factory.com/euc2017/martin-sumner
>>
>> I see that the slides of the talk are available in the website I linked
>> but it was being filmed too, so hopefully the video will be released at some
>> point as well.
>>

>> All the best,
>> Karl
>>

>> On 8 Jul 2017 13:23, "Albin Stigö" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Apologize if this is slightly of topic.
>>
>> I'm an anesthesiologist/programmer. I'm interested in the programming
>> of medical information systems and devices. I have quite recently
>> gotten seriously started in Erlang and am quite impressed with the
>> system.
>>
>> I'm interested in working and pursuing research in this area. To get
>> started I'm looking for some examples where people have successfully
>> used Erlang in this field?
>>

>> --Albin

Re: Erlang in healthcare or medical devices?

Albin Stigö-2
Working with binary matching in Erlang is one of my favourite things.
It's so easy to interface to hardware/protocols.

--Albin

On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 5:40 PM, Nathaniel Waisbrot
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I'm an anesthesiologist/programmer. I'm interested in the programming
>> of medical information systems and devices. I have quite recently
>> gotten seriously started in Erlang and am quite impressed with the
>> system.
>>
>> I'm interested in working and pursuing research in this area. To get
>> started I'm looking for some examples where people have successfully
>> used Erlang in this field?
>

> I worked at one company that did healthcare-focused text messaging and we used ejabberd. Reliable delivery despite flakey Internet on mobile devices was key and Erlang was helpful in expressing that constraint.
> I was at another where we made a fitness wearable device and used Erlang for the server-side handling of biometric data. The important thing there was to route relatively small amounts of binary data with low latency. That was a pretty obvious fit for Erlang, and matching on binary data in Erlang is always fun.

Re: Erlang in healthcare or medical devices?

Aaron J. Seigo-2
On 8.7.2017 19:07, Albin Stigö wrote:
> What I haven't found so far is medical hardware using Erlang
> internally...

I don't know of any myself, but this may be a decent place to start
looking for your own projects should you begin to dig in:

    http://nerves-project.org/

It uses Elixir, but that means the BEAM and Erlang are right there as
well. It seems to have quite a head of steam on it at the moment, and is
certainly worth a look!

Would be great to see the BEAM on medical devices .. it's about time,
really!

--
Aaron Seigo

Re: Erlang in healthcare or medical devices?

Albin Stigö-2
Thank you! Very interesting!

--Albin

On Sun, Jul 9, 2017 at 11:03 PM, Aaron Seigo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8.7.2017 19:07, Albin Stigö wrote:
>>
>> What I haven't found so far is medical hardware using Erlang internally...
>

> I don't know of any myself, but this may be a decent place to start looking
> for your own projects should you begin to dig in:
>
>    http://nerves-project.org/
>
> It uses Elixir, but that means the BEAM and Erlang are right there as well.
> It seems to have quite a head of steam on it at the moment, and is certainly
> worth a look!
>
> Would be great to see the BEAM on medical devices .. it's about time,
> really!
>
> --
> Aaron Seigo

Re: Erlang in healthcare or medical devices?

Albin Stigö-2
Also found this https://www.grisp.org/

Looks very promising!

--Albin