Erlang logging system

shk

Erlang logging system

shk
This post was updated on .
Hello,

I need in powerful logging sub-system in my erlang project. I know that erlang has error_logger application, I want to ask community: What are you using for logging in your project?

Thank you.

Erlang logging system

Robert Raschke-7
On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 3:10 PM, shk <kuleshovmail> wrote:

> I need in logging sub-system in my erlang project. I know that erlang has
> error_logger application, I want to ask community: What are you using for
> logging in your project?

I use the error_logger in multi file mode (with some convenience macros) and
a hacked rb module to read the resulting log files.

The report "browser" I use includes module specific call backs for
pretty-printing specific log messages (tied in with the convenience macros
that generate the msgs) and no longer has any interactive components, just
one shot "give me some log".

Robby
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Re: Erlang logging system

Barry Nicholson
I've been using log4erl.  It's not perfect but it works.   Easily
managed in the code.  We wrote an appender that sent errors and fatals
to our enterprise logging system.   Very quick and easy.  Only issue I
have is that certain system failures we haven't been able to force from
sasl through log4erl.  Not sure why, it hasn't exceeded my pain level yet.

Barry Nicholson

On 5/4/11 9:10 AM, shk wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need in logging sub-system in my erlang project. I know that erlang has
> error_logger application, I want to ask community: What are you using for
> logging in your project?
>
> Thank you.

Re: Erlang logging system

Tim Watson-5
https://github.com/hyperthunk/fastlog. Very simple config/api, works
with error_logger under the covers. Work in progress.

Re: Erlang logging system

Chad Depue
In the interests of bike shedding a bit here, we noticed a substantial performance hit for a client application that logged using error_logger so we wrote a simple log framework that uses macros to allow the caller to compile out the log statements at runtime for critical modules. You could extend it to also log to other logs like log4erl, fastlog, etc. Just the overhead of building the strings for the log, even if you aren't writing them out, can be quite expensive...

https://github.com/elbrujohalcon/elog

Chad DePue
skype: cdepue

On 5 May 2011 07:26, Chad DePue <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In the interests of bike shedding a bit here, we noticed a substantial
> performance hit for a client application that logged using error_logger so
> we wrote a simple log framework that uses macros to allow the caller to
> compile out the log statements at runtime for critical modules. You could
> extend it to also log to other logs like log4erl, fastlog, etc. Just the
> overhead of building the strings for the log, even if you aren't writing
> them out, can be quite expensive...
> https://github.com/elbrujohalcon/elog
> Chad DePue
> skype: cdepue
> inakanetworks.com

Interesting. Fastlog doesn't build any string formats unless the
logging level you've asked for (on the specific "named" logger) is
active, although there will be a couple of function calls and a
message to one of the logger gen_server processes, but no actual write
to error_logger takes place unless the level is "switched on". It does
sound like compiling out even the unnecessary calls would be use for,
as you put it, very critical modules.

I'm also hoping to put disk_log support in to fastlog later on, as I
understand it's the most efficient mechanism available (bar using
macros to avoid logging at all).