Erlang on Solaris x86

12

Erlang on Solaris x86

Joel Reymont
Folks,

Is anyone running Erlang on Solaris x86? I'm looking to sign up for a
TextDrive container to run Yaws, ejabberd and PostgreSQL. I know that
under Linux I would need kernel poll. Do I need anything extra for
Solaris x86?

        Thanks, Joel

[1] http://www.textdrive.com/hosting/container

Re: Erlang on Solaris x86

Hal Snyder
What do you mean by "extra"?

We run a Erlang on a network of a hundred or so x86 Solaris servers,
mostly Solaris 9.

On Aug 29, 2006, at 7:36 PM, Joel Reymont wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Is anyone running Erlang on Solaris x86? I'm looking to sign up for
> a TextDrive container to run Yaws, ejabberd and PostgreSQL. I know
> that under Linux I would need kernel poll. Do I need anything extra
> for Solaris x86?
>
> Thanks, Joel
>
> [1] http://www.textdrive.com/hosting/container

Re: Erlang on Solaris x86

ke han
Joel,
I tested erlang (10B-something), did not install yaws or ejabberd, on
Solaris x86 briefly and it works.  Nothing thorough enough to know if
its clear for production.  My testing was done with Solaris 10 as a
VMware guest.
BTW, I TextDrive might sell you containers on their Niagra servers as
well as what they currently advertise for their Opteron ones.  I sent
a few rounds of email with one of their sales people on this.  My
only problem was I can get more horsepower from my own dedicated
server than with the current pricing on the TextDrive containers
(there are obviously other benefits to their container solution than
raw horsepower of your own dedicated server but I was worried about
their cost structure as my app needed more resource).
I think TextDrive has a winning strategy...lets hope guys like me can
find it affordable ;-)...

ke han

On Aug 30, 2006, at 7:00 AM, ke han wrote:

> BTW, I TextDrive might sell you containers on their Niagra servers
> as well as what they currently advertise for their Opteron ones.  I
> sent a few rounds of email with one of their sales people on this.

Is there a particular advantage to the Niagara servers with Erlang?
Is this tried and true or just hypothetical?

> My only problem was I can get more horsepower from my own dedicated
> server than with the current pricing on the TextDrive containers

How did you figure this out? I looked at serverbeach.com and for 250/
mo you get a bare server. Do you mean that it starts to become
expensive as you scale up?

I'm also trying to find a contact at Amazon to get on the EC2 beta.
For 70/mo per virtual server that would be ideal! Anyone with contacts?

> (there are obviously other benefits to their container solution
> than raw horsepower of your own dedicated server

What are the advantages that you see?

> but I was worried about their cost structure as my app needed more
> resource).

You mean 250 + 250 + 250? They do seem to take care of load-balancing
for you, I think, if you have multiple containers.

        Thanks, Joel

--
http://wagerlabs.com/

Erlang on Solaris x86

fbg111

Joel Reymont wrote:

> Is anyone running Erlang on Solaris x86?

I'm not but have been looking for a vps to host the same software stack on.
Here's another I found:

http://www.gridzones.com/gridzones_hosting.php

Byron
Sent from the Erlang Questions forum at Nabble.com.

Re: Erlang on Solaris x86

ke han

On Aug 30, 2006, at 4:46 PM, Joel Reymont wrote:

> On Aug 30, 2006, at 7:00 AM, ke han wrote:
>
>> BTW, I TextDrive might sell you containers on their Niagra servers
>> as well as what they currently advertise for their Opteron ones.
>> I sent a few rounds of email with one of their sales people on this.
>
> Is there a particular advantage to the Niagara servers with Erlang?
> Is this tried and true or just hypothetical?

Others have posted their testing results with the Niagra chip and
erlang R11.  The results I've seen so far look _very_ good.  I don't
rank high enough to get a demo machine from Sun ;-)

Although I haven't used it and haven't heard of anyone using it with
erlang, the Niagra has an on core encryption accelerator.   See this
blog post on how it works http://blogs.sun.com/enigma/  (under
heading: Two Cryptographic Solution).  You can't get this with an
Opteron.

>> My only problem was I can get more horsepower from my own
>> dedicated server than with the current pricing on the TextDrive
>> containers
>
> How did you figure this out? I looked at serverbeach.com and for
> 250/mo you get a bare server. Do you mean that it starts to become
> expensive as you scale up?

I am using a hosting provider m5hosting.com.  They leverage a 5-start
facility in San Diego and provide excellent support and good pricing.
Although large hosting companied like serverbeach or aplus have good
support technicians, they also have more lesser knowledgeable support
folk.  You usually have to go through the first tier before you get
to a person that can help you fix a real problem.  m5hosting is small
and _only_ has top support techs, so you cut through a layer when you
have a problem.
FWIW, another (Linux only) hosting company I like for quality and
knowledge is rimuhosting.  Yeah, I've tried lots of hosting options
over the last few years!!

I rent a server from m5hosting I'm using for development which costs
$105/month.  Its only for dev as it doesn't have RAID 1 or redundant
power.  But I think you can get these added and still be less than
$250/month.  Get in touch with [hidden email] and tell them Jon
Hancock referred you ;-)

> I'm also trying to find a contact at Amazon to get on the EC2 beta.
> For 70/mo per virtual server that would be ideal! Anyone with
> contacts?

WOW!!!..I'd like to hear more on this.

>> (there are obviously other benefits to their container solution
>> than raw horsepower of your own dedicated server
>
> What are the advantages that you see?

Solaris Containers (or Zones) are very useful for what you may
otherwise use virtual machines or change root jails to manage.  If
you can do everything on Solaris, Zones are powerful.
That being said, I still have slightly negative feelings about tying
myself to Sun.  They are not a good company to have as your partner
unless you are consistently paying top dollar.  Even then they don't
quite drop the arrogance...nowhere near as bad as Oracle though ;-) ,
but I shy away from companies with these histories.  I spent some
time these last few months trying to see if I wanted to use Solaris
on Niagra.  I ended up deciding that if the Niagra scales to what I
may eventually need, then when I have that large a user base, I can
switch to it and not have to worry about asking for any favors from
my regional Sun sales rep ;-).
As for scaling "up" or "out", the latest info I have is that using
power hunger servers is going to start costing you much more.  Data
Centers have to pass this cost along to the customer and the
amortized cost of buying wattage efficient servers will pay off well
over the next year as energy prices go up.  This means paying more up
front costs for the next gen processors and the more power efficient
SAS drives.

>> but I was worried about their cost structure as my app needed more
>> resource).
>
> You mean 250 + 250 + 250? They do seem to take care of load-
> balancing for you, I think, if you have multiple containers.

The very nice thing about what TextDrive is offering for their
Opteron Solaris Containers is that you get the entire fault-tolerant
infrastructure with it.  Your renting a container, not a virtual
machine on a particular server.  Its a powerful approach whose time
has come and I think we're going to see lots more of this from
TextDrive and others.
I didn't push their sales rep to see what kind of discounts would be
available as I scaled up.

Please keep me posted on these experiences...as I still haven't
finalized my production decisions.

ke han

> Thanks, Joel
>
> --
> http://wagerlabs.com/

Re: Erlang on Solaris x86

Joel Reymont

http://wagerlabs.com/articles/2006/08/24/amazon-elastic-compute-cloud

Re: Erlang on Solaris x86

Joel Reymont

On Aug 30, 2006, at 11:12 AM, ke han wrote:

> Others have posted their testing results with the Niagra chip and
> erlang R11.  The results I've seen so far look _very_ good.

I must have missed the posts. Where are they?

> The very nice thing about what TextDrive is offering for their
> Opteron Solaris Containers is that you get the entire fault-
> tolerant infrastructure with it.  Your renting a container, not a
> virtual machine on a particular server.

I'm not sure I understand the difference between a container and a
VM. What is the fault-tolerant infrastructure and how do you get it
at TextDrive?

--
http://wagerlabs.com/

Re: Erlang on Solaris x86

kurtosis
Joel Reymont wrote
Is anyone running Erlang on Solaris x86?
I'm not but have been looking for a vps to host the same software stack on.  Here's another I found:

http://www.gridzones.com/gridzones_hosting.php

Byron

Re: Erlang on Solaris x86

ke han

On Aug 30, 2006, at 6:23 PM, Joel Reymont wrote:

> On Aug 30, 2006, at 11:12 AM, ke han wrote:
>
>> Others have posted their testing results with the Niagra chip and
>> erlang R11.  The results I've seen so far look _very_ good.
>
> I must have missed the posts. Where are they?

Joe Armstrong's post:
http://www.erlang.org/ml-archive/erlang-questions/200606/msg00187.html

I'm pretty sure one or two others had posted some results but I can't
find them right now...

>> The very nice thing about what TextDrive is offering for their
>> Opteron Solaris Containers is that you get the entire fault-
>> tolerant infrastructure with it.  Your renting a container, not a
>> virtual machine on a particular server.
>
> I'm not sure I understand the difference between a container and a
> VM. What is the fault-tolerant infrastructure and how do you get it
> at TextDrive?

A VM is a complete guest OS running on top of another host OS (either
a general purpose host or a special purpose one just for hosting
guest VMs).  A Container/Zone (which is a Solaris-only animal) shares
the same OS for all containers/zones on the same physical server..
Solaris has lots of built in tricks to partition or contain the
resources inside your zone.

Its my understanding that TextDrive is selling a container and
guarantees that your container is always up.  So if the physical
server goes down, your container runs on another server (your data is
on a shared SAN in their model).  These kinds of tricks can be done
with virtualization systems such as Xen or VMware.  The trade off is
in standardizing on the strength of managing one OS (Solaris) for
everything vs. being OS agnostic and letting each VM be any OS.  For
a "full service" hosting provider, it makes sense to be a master of
one OS than to supply only a rented resource for a customer to
choose  their own VM.  Less OS choice, but possibly much better
managed and refined solution...which is where the better profit
margins are.

ke han

> --
> http://wagerlabs.com/

Re: Erlang on Solaris x86

Chris Double
On 8/30/06, ke han <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am using a hosting provider m5hosting.com.

I'm also another happy customer of m5hosting. I use a dedicated server
and run VMware server on it. I run multiple OS's on one dedicated
server using this setup including Minix and Ubuntu Linux and it runs
quite nicely.

Chris.
http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz

Erlang on Solaris x86

fbg111

Joel Reymont wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand the difference between a container and a VM.

I was wondering the same thing recently and found this article with a
http://news.com.com/Linux+heavies+plan+lightweight+virtualization/2100-7339_3-6108272.html?tag=nefd.lede
basic explanation .  Here's the  http://textdrive.com/hosting/container
 TextDrive page .

Sent from the Erlang Questions forum at Nabble.com.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Erlang on Solaris x86

fbg111

Chris Double wrote:

> I run multiple OS's on one dedicated server using this setup including
> Minix and Ubuntu Linux and it runs quite nicely.

A bit offtopic, but is it possible to compile and run Erlang on Minix?  That
would be an interesting platform.
Sent from the Erlang Questions forum at Nabble.com.

Re: Erlang on Solaris x86

kurtosis
Joel Reymont wrote
I'm not sure I understand the difference between a container and a VM.
I was wondering the same thing recently and found this article with a basic explanation. Here's the TextDrive page.

Re: Erlang on Solaris x86

kurtosis
Chris Double wrote

On 8/31/06, fbg111 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A bit offtopic, but is it possible to compile and run Erlang on Minix?  That
> would be an interesting platform.

I had a brief attempt at it and got most of it to compile but never
completed it. Quite a bit of work has gone on recently in Minix for
cross platform compilation support so it may be a bit easier now. I'll
have another go at it and see how it goes.

Chris.
http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz

Erlang on Solaris x86

fbg111

Cool.  I'll keep an eye out for an update on your blog.  Also, there's a lot
of interest in Erlang and concurrent systems and software at
http://programming.reddit.com/.  A post about building Erlang on Minix would
probably get pretty high in the rankings.

Once I get my PC rebuilt with a mobo that better supports Linux, I'll give
it a try too.

Byron

http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz

Re: Erlang on Solaris x86

xolotl
Here's a third: mod3.co.uk; I think these 3 are the only companies
selling Solaris zones at the moment.

-- O.L.

PS: "vps" has a strong Linux connotation, which is confusing in this
context; better speak of zones or, if you want to remain generic, of
containers.

fbg111 wrote:

> Joel Reymont wrote:
>
>>Is anyone running Erlang on Solaris x86?
>

> I'm not but have been looking for a vps to host the same software stack on.
> Here's another I found:
>
> http://www.gridzones.com/gridzones_hosting.php
>
> Byron

Re: [erlang-questions] Erlang on Solaris x86

Alex Arnon
Okay, 2 quid per CPU slice... where a single slice is equivalent to a P3 75Mhz. Interesting unit of performance, I'd say :)

fbg111 wrote:

> Joel Reymont wrote:
>
>>Is anyone running Erlang on Solaris x86?
>

> I'm not but have been looking for a vps to host the same software stack on.
> Here's another I found:
>
> http://www.gridzones.com/gridzones_hosting.php
>
> Byron

12