Erlang version confusion

Lloyd R. Prentice-2
Hello,

I have Erlang Version 19.0 installed long-ago on my dev system. While testing Nitrogen code my app crashed due to the pesky string library revision problem: string:lexemes/2 was not to be found.

OK, so time to update my working version of Erlang. I have kerl. Piece of cake. This was indeed successful:

$ erl
Erlang/OTP 22 [erts-10.4] [source] [64-bit] [smp:4:4] [ds:4:4:10] [async-threads:1] [hipe]

However, when I try to rebuild my Nitrogen app, it still builds under Erlang Version 19.0.

Here's kerl status:

$ kerl status
Available builds:
21.1,21.1
21.1,21.1-builtdocs
22.0,22.0
----------
Available installations:
21.1 /home/lloyd/Kerl/21.1
22.0 /home/lloyd/Kerl/22.0
----------
No Erlang/OTP installation is currently active

Looks like it might be useful to bring Version 19.0 under kerl. But, problem, I don't know how to decommission the old 19.0 installation.

Can anyone provide the magic incantation?

Many thanks,

LRP

Re: Erlang version confusion

Fred Hebert-2
On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 5:29 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I have Erlang Version 19.0 installed long-ago on my dev system. While testing Nitrogen code my app crashed due to the pesky string library revision problem: string:lexemes/2 was not to be found.

Looks like it might be useful to bring Version 19.0 under kerl. But, problem, I don't know how to decommission the old 19.0 installation.

Can anyone provide the magic incantation?

 I would probably just uninstall 19.0 from wherever it was installed (i.e. sudo apt remove or whatever the command is for the reverse on a package manager you might have used) and re-build it with kerl. I think this would be easier than figuring out where all the parts are and moving them into kerl.

The quickest workaround might also just be to make the kerl paths come before the other ones in your $PATH environment variable, which tends to dictate the lookup order of executables on your filesystem.

Regards,
Fred.

Re: Erlang version confusion

Fred Youhanaie-2
Hi Lloyd

> $ erl
> Erlang/OTP 22 [erts-10.4] [source] [64-bit] [smp:4:4] [ds:4:4:10] [async-threads:1] [hipe]

If you typed this right after kerl install, then 22.0 would have been active.

> However, when I try to rebuild my Nitrogen app, it still builds under Erlang Version 19.0.

I imagine this was run on a fresh shell session, so 22.0 was no longer active.

> Here's kerl status:
>
> $ kerl status
> Available builds:
> 21.1,21.1
> 21.1,21.1-builtdocs
> 22.0,22.0
> ----------
> Available installations:
> 21.1 /home/lloyd/Kerl/21.1
> 22.0 /home/lloyd/Kerl/22.0
> ----------
> No Erlang/OTP installation is currently active

To make 22.0 active, use the following

        source /home/lloyd/Kerl/22.0/activate

this should put the 22.0 directories in front of the 19.0 in the environment PATHs

use deactivate to undo the above.

> Looks like it might be useful to bring Version 19.0 under kerl. But, problem, I don't know how to decommission the old 19.0 installation.

See the other Fred's reply :)

Cheers,
Fred

On 21/08/2019 15:34, Fred Youhanaie wrote:

> use deactivate to undo the above.

Sorry, I meant kerl_deactivate :(

Re: Erlang version confusion

Lloyd R. Prentice-2