Quantcast

Erlang zlib and concurrency

Loïc Hoguin-3
Hello,

The zlib module in Erlang can not do work concurrently, I believe. It
always seem to use a single core. I have a vague memory of an Erlang
Factory talk mentioning this and that they rewrote the algorithm in
Erlang to speed things up. But I am seeing no such code around.

Does anyone know of an open source implementation of zlib in Erlang? I
personally need gzip only.

If not, would anyone be willing to sponsor it? Shouldn't take more than
a day or two.

Loïc Hoguin
https://ninenines.eu

Re: Erlang zlib and concurrency

Caragea Silviu
Hi Loic,

I found same problem while profiling the ejabberd server. I wrote a zlib implementation but unfortunately you can use it in case you want to do streaming only. As time the interface doesn't expose to many stuffs. We created it only to cover our bad performances in ejabberd.

https://github.com/silviucpp/ezlib

But also you can look at benchmark to have an idea how slow is zlib coming with erlang

Silviu