Erlangers in Montreal?

Ahmed Al-Saadi
Hi:

Any local Erlang users group in the Montreal area (Canada)? If not,
anyone interested in starting one up?

Cheers,
Ahmed

Re: Erlangers in Montreal?

Frédéric Trottier-Hébert
I'm rather up north in Saguenay if you feel like extending the group a bit ;) I'm not in Montreal very often, but yeah.

--
Fred Hébert
http://www.erlang-solutions.com

On 2011-03-18, at 15:59 PM, Ahmed Al-Saadi wrote:

> Hi:
>
> Any local Erlang users group in the Montreal area (Canada)? If not, anyone interested in starting one up?
>
> Cheers,
> Ahmed

Re: Erlangers in Montreal?

Francis Joanis
Hi,

I know a few guys doing Erlang in Ottawa/Gatineau. We're about 2 hours away.

Anybody else from Ottawa by any chance?

Cheers,
Francis

Le 2011-03-19 à 12:48, Frédéric Trottier-Hébert<[hidden email]> a écrit :

> I'm rather up north in Saguenay if you feel like extending the group a bit ;) I'm not in Montreal very often, but yeah.
>
> --
> Fred Hébert
> http://www.erlang-solutions.com
>

> On 2011-03-18, at 15:59 PM, Ahmed Al-Saadi wrote:
>
>> Hi:
>>
>> Any local Erlang users group in the Montreal area (Canada)? If not, anyone interested in starting one up?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ahmed

Re: Erlangers in Montreal?

Ahmed Al-Saadi
Hi Kaiduan:

I am relatively new to Erlang as I have been doing most of my recent
development in Python. Ever since I heard Tim Bray at a software
conference discuss the problem of parallelization of computing, I have
been searching for a solution. Erlang is *that* solution par excellence!
Also, I find the idea of functional programming appealing not only as an
enabler of parallel computing, but also as a design tool as it lends
itself well to mathematical/logical concepts which appeal to my
engineering background.

So, yes, I am also passionate about Erlang :) I have been re-writing my
company web site using Zotonic, a super-fast Erlang web CMS and, like
you, have started an XMPP project that uses ejabberd, though haven't
started hacking the source-code.

I have created a google group ([hidden email]) to
serve as a hotbed for ideas and a channel through which local meetings
can be organized. I tried to create erlang-canada, but that name was
taken and I contacted the owner to see if it can be used to start
similar groups in different Canadian cities.

I invite you, Todd, Fred, Francis and everyone else to join
erlang-montreal; if anything, it'll give you an excuse to visit a cool
city with vibrant software communities.

Cheers,
Ahmed

On 3/18/11 10:15 PM, Kaiduan Xie wrote:

> Ahmed,
>
> Although I am not in Montreal, I am passionate to Erlang in Waterloo,
> Ontario. In my person time, I am writing an Erlang SIP proxy, hacking
> Ejabberd. And in work I am trying to push Erlang to my company.
>
> How about you? Can you share your story with Erlang?
>
> Best regards,
>
> /Kaiduan
>
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 3:59 PM, Ahmed Al-Saadi<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> Any local Erlang users group in the Montreal area (Canada)? If not, anyone
>> interested in starting one up?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ahmed

Re: Erlangers in Montreal?

cognition.mind
I live in Gatineau, but sounds like an idea,
I just started learning erlang and have come to really love it,

Keep me posted if anything gets moving.

Cheers
Ramon
Empires fall. Religions dissolve like mist. But quotes about monkeys with keyboards live for eternity.
- The Covert Comic

Re: Erlangers in Montreal?

Shahrdad Shadab-2
I am also doing Erlang for my own satisfaction. However i am in Toronto.

Regards
Shahrdad

-----
Empires fall. Religions dissolve like mist. But quotes about monkeys with keyboards live for eternity.
- The Covert Comic

Erlangers in Montreal?

Francis Joanis-2
Hi,

We should probably all join the Erlang User Group Canada subgroup
(EUG-Canada) on LinkedIn.

Cheers,
Francis
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Re: Erlangers in Montreal?

Ahmed Al-Saadi
Ramon and Shahrdad:

We had our first meeting last Thursday. There is definitely some
interest in Erlang in Montreal, though lacking major software houses
using it probably makes it more of an off-work-hours area of interest!
To keep taps on what is happening at Erlang Montreal, see:
1) Google Group: http://groups.google.com/group/erlang-montreal
2) EUG-Canada LinkedIn sub-group:
http://www.linkedin.com/groups?mostPopular=&gid=3838220

-signed(ahmed).