^G/^C in shell on Windows

Vlad Dumitrescu-4
Hi,

I noticed that ^G doesn't work for me: what it seems to do is just start
another shell (or restart the other one), because I get the "Eshell
V5.2.3.3" banner and the prompt is reset to 1.

Pressing ^C on the other hand, prints the "BREAK: (a)bort....." message but
doesn't wait for any input, it just ends execution. Sometimes not even the
message gets printed but the program crashes (there comes a "The memory
could not be read" error), but I think this latter has to do with port
programs running.

This is in erl.exe, not werl.exe. Werl works fine.

Should I gather some more data and submit it for analysis, or is it a known
thing?

regards,
Vlad

^G/^C in shell on Windows

Raimo Niskanen-7
Well, it is kind of a known thing...

The command "erl" on windows corresponds to "erl -oldshell" on Unix, and
the "-oldshell" option causes ^G to do just what you describes. Note
also that almost no command line editing works. This shell can (on Unix)
be used against non-terminals e.g pipes.

^C on Unix brings up the break handler menu as you describes, but
rumours here say that we could not get the break handler menu to work on
Windows so it was disabled. Therefore you exit the emulator, but you
should not have gotten a break handler menu. That is probably a bug.

/ Raimo Niskanen, Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB.

Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed that ^G doesn't work for me: what it seems to do is just start
> another shell (or restart the other one), because I get the "Eshell
> V5.2.3.3" banner and the prompt is reset to 1.
>
> Pressing ^C on the other hand, prints the "BREAK: (a)bort....." message but
> doesn't wait for any input, it just ends execution. Sometimes not even the
> message gets printed but the program crashes (there comes a "The memory
> could not be read" error), but I think this latter has to do with port
> programs running.
>
> This is in erl.exe, not werl.exe. Werl works fine.
>
> Should I gather some more data and submit it for analysis, or is it a known
> thing?
>
> regards,
> Vlad

^G/^C in shell on Windows

Vlad Dumitrescu-4
Okay, thanks for the info.

I'm testing an app that is most easily restarted by killing the runtime and
restarting it, and werl is not so handy from a command prompt. I solved it
by letting my app call init:stop() when it ends :-)

regards,
Vlad