GUI development with Erlang

12

GUI development with Erlang

Alan Gingras

Has anyone tried using Windows Forms (.net) with Erlang?  This would be in a similar fashion to way Python can use Windows Forms.  On Linux I believe this would be Mono (http://www.mono-project.com/docs/gui/winforms/).  Basically I think I’m looking for something similar to Python’s “import” and C#’s “using” features.  If no one has anything, any hints on how a feature like this might be implemented.

Basically, I have been working on implementing genetic programming in Erlang and would like to provide a GUI front end.  The WxWidgets front end that comes with Erlang is difficult at best.  I’ve used several different GUI kits on *nix and Windows platforms but WxWidgets seems the most difficult for me.  So I’m trying to see what else is available.  I followed Joe Armstrong’s quest earlier this year and didn’t see where he came up with anything.

Thanks.

Alan

Re: GUI development with Erlang

Wilmar Pérez
Hi Alan,

Unless you have a very pressing need to create a fat GUI client that you can install per machine I'd encourage you to better focus on a Web interface for your application. There are several frameworks you can use. This would allow you to offer a friendly interface which you can run on one or more servers to which all users would connect simply using a browser.

Best regards,

Wilmar

[...]

Zachary Kessin-2
I had thought it would be an interesting idea to build a GUI toolset around Erlang such that each widget on screen was a process. That being said I think to develop such a toolkit would probably cost on the order of $1,000,000 (Total guess on the number).

If I had to develop a desktop app with Erlang I would probably use something like Electra to do a virtual browser with an Elm Frontend.

Zach

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 10:13 AM, Sergej Jurečko <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Zach Kessin
Reduce project risk with training in Elm For web teams
Skype: zachkessin
+972 54 234 3956 / +44 203 734 9790 / +1 617 778 7213

ExtendedVisualOtp (English Version).pdf (694K) Download Attachment

Re: GUI development with Erlang

Alan Gingras

Thanks Alex.  I had thought of that but was trying to make this a pure Erlang application.  This is most likely the approach I will end up taking unless I decide to pursue wxErlang, but that is probably a little unlikely.

Re: GUI development with Erlang

Alan Gingras

Thanks Alex.  I had thought of that but was trying to make this a pure Erlang application.  I had even thought of using an Erlang  Port but again, this would lead me outside of a strictly Erlang solution.

Re: GUI development with Erlang

Lloyd R. Prentice-2
Hi Alan,

Perhaps a browser front-end would suit your purposes. And, if so, you might look into Nitrogen. It provides a rich set of GUI elements with the additional benefit of making your genetic models accessible through the web.

All the best,

LRP

Thanks Alex.  I had thought of that but was trying to make this a pure Erlang application.  This is most likely the approach I will end up taking unless I decide to pursue wxErlang, but that is probably a little unlikely.

Re: GUI development with Erlang

Richard A. O'Keefe-2

On 6/12/17 9:04 PM, Zachary Kessin wrote:
> I had thought it would be an interesting idea to build a GUI toolset
> around Erlang such that each widget on screen was a process. That being
> said I think to develop such a toolkit would probably cost on the order
> of $1,000,000 (Total guess on the number).

I once saw this done in Flat Concurrent Prolog.  It worked very well,
and was done by one person in about a year.  I was quite impressed by
it, and ever since have been struggling to try to remember the name
of the author.

This was more than 20 years ago, so I have *some* excuse for not
remembering.  Mind you, this was in the era when people thought a
4MB computer was *plenty* to run OS, GUI, Emacs, and compiler all
at once..., so we aren't talking about a *lot* of code.  Which I
guess is the point.  Start with just enough GUI for the task at hand
and grow it.

> If I had to develop a desktop app with Erlang I would probably use
> something like Electra to do a virtual browser with an Elm Frontend.

Links?

Re: GUI development with Erlang

Joe Armstrong-2
If you want something that just works and is reasonably simple to implement
Browser based GUI's are pretty good.

The combination of web sockets + SVG/Canavas/DOM manipulation in JS
is pretty easy to setup and loads of people understand JS/Browser things.

Stand-alone outside the browser is tricky.

TCL/Tk is really easy to get going and interface (yes it's old but works well)

Java Swing is what it is - and if you're good at Java might be an alternative
but you'd have to interface it to Erlang.

QT is brilliant but you'd need to write the GUI in C++ and interface it to Erlang

WxWidgets is actually pretty good but has a steep learning curve (a cliff) -
I did actually manage to build some interfaces with it and concluded that
it was pretty good but that it needed a *lot* of examples and getting started
tutorials.

Cheers

/Joe

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 12:43 PM, Alan Gingras <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

arif-2
I have been using wxErlang on some projects and I don't find it too
hard. I make the GUI in separate processes and communicate with the
application using regular erlang message passing.
Using the wx_object, it is practically a breeze. It is like programming
a gen_server. I even run the GUI processes supervised, to allow me to
"let it crash".
Also, you can use wxFormBuilder to do the layout and use the generated
PHP or LUA code to figure out what you need to do in wxErlang. I suppose
you could even write a parser to generate your erlang code from those.
So I am curious. What is that you find so hard about it? And what makes
it easier with C# or the like?
Thanks
Arif

Re: GUI development with Erlang

Zachary Kessin-2
I was thinking of something like Electron https://electronjs.org/ with an Erlang backend.

Mind I have no idea how to actually build that

Zach

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 2:50 PM, Joe Armstrong <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Grzegorz Junka

Electron is mainly an executable, which is a customized Chrome browser. The UI itself is only as heavy as a typical HTML/JavaScript page. See here for an overview:

https://electronjs.org/docs/tutorial/quick-start

It's very similar to Erlang. In Erlang you have the VM and OTP. Your application is lightweight but when you create a distribution you have to package the VM, libraries and your application into it. It's the same with Electron.

The Electron executable is loading and executing your application, which is a web-based JavaScript application. That application could connect to your running Erlang VM like any other web-based application running locally in a browser.

GrzegorzJ

On 07/12/2017 17:46, Thomas Elsgaard wrote:
[...]

Hello world (or rather a little window with a couple of buttons)
in Qt is 33KB - only 3484 times smaller.

Which probably explain why Qt is more popular for building apps than
Electron.

Being an old timer I recall a time when the entire OS including the
windowing system and a large number of applications all fitted in
under 640KB :-)

Where did we go wrong ?