GUIs

Vlad Dumitrescu-3
Hi all!

After all the debate about GUIs and IDEs, I looked around to see what
options there might be that I had overlooked. And there are quite a few. If
this happens to be old news, please don't get angry at me :-)

One nice solution to use as an alternative to TclTk (which is a royal pain
on Windows) would be for example wxWindows (www.wxwindows.org) which seem to
be a good and stable framework for portable GUIs.

The next question is how to easily write wrapper Erlang modules around it
(or another library). Here I found a cool tool called SWIG (www.swig.org)
that can generate wrappers for C/C++ libraries in Tcl, Perl, Python, and a
few other more languages - and it is possible to extend it to other
languages.

I think it would be cool to have proper native GUI with a nice and complete
framework. As for SWIG, an Erlang mode would be useful for many other
libraries that people may want to interface with Erlang.

I don't have time, but I hope someone else does and also likes the idea :-)

best regards,
Vlad