Hipe question

Mikael Pettersson
On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 22:33:49 +0200, Mickael Remond wrote:

> I now managed to compile Hipe on Linux (Debian "Sid") thanks to the
> brand new prerelease.

x86, I presume.

> I also manage to compile a module using the hipe:c/1 function.
>
> But, from what I understand, I need to use this function (=> hipe
> recompilation) for each new Erlang session, as no new file is created
> and the beam file does not seem to be modified.

Adding HiPE native code to the .beam file is currently only supported
for SPARC. (And only if you use the ordinary Erlang compiler with the
native option, _not_ hipe:c, I think.) We have one person (Erik) working
on adding this for the x86 as well, it should be complete later this
week or perhaps next week.

/Mikael

Hipe question

Mickael Remond-2
Mikael Pettersson (mikpe) wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 22:33:49 +0200, Mickael Remond wrote:
>
> > I now managed to compile Hipe on Linux (Debian "Sid") thanks to the
> > brand new prerelease.
>
> x86, I presume.
>

> > I also manage to compile a module using the hipe:c/1 function.
> >
> > But, from what I understand, I need to use this function (=> hipe
> > recompilation) for each new Erlang session, as no new file is created
> > and the beam file does not seem to be modified.
>
> Adding HiPE native code to the .beam file is currently only supported
> for SPARC. (And only if you use the ordinary Erlang compiler with the
> native option, _not_ hipe:c, I think.) We have one person (Erik) working
> on adding this for the x86 as well, it should be complete later this
> week or perhaps next week.

Ok. I will wait for that. That is nice. The integration of native code
to the classic Erlang environnement is very good. You can mix Native and
non native module. The performance improvement is great.

Nice job, guy.

I really will regret not to be able to be at EUC this year. So have a
good conference.

--
Micka?l R?mond
http://www.erlang-fr.org/