Quantcast

Hot code upgrade

ARUN P
Hi,

     I am trying to upgrade my application using rebar3 hot code upgrade
feature from version 0.0.1 to 0.0.2 and my application consists of
around 20 modules, the difference between current version and the new
version is that one new module got added and one existing module code
has been modified. My doubt is that, in the appup file we have to give
list of instructions to upgrade and downgrade software between different
versions, is it mandatory that all 20 modules has to be mentioned in the
instructions or the modules which are added or modified only need to be
mentioned. ?

Can anybody assist me on this

regards,
Arun

Re: Hot code upgrade

Grzegorz Junka

On 30/01/2017 08:39, Arun wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     I am trying to upgrade my application using rebar3 hot code
> upgrade feature from version 0.0.1 to 0.0.2 and my application
> consists of around 20 modules, the difference between current version
> and the new version is that one new module got added and one existing
> module code has been modified. My doubt is that, in the appup file we
> have to give list of instructions to upgrade and downgrade software
> between different versions, is it mandatory that all 20 modules has to
> be mentioned in the instructions or the modules which are added or
> modified only need to be mentioned. ?
>
> Can anybody assist me on this

Not sure how it works in rebar but usually you don't need to create the
relup file yourself. I usually use systools:make_relup.
http://erlang.org/doc/man/systools.html
You give it two versions of the release files and the location of the
applications and it creates the instructions for you. It is smart enough
to figure out which modules have been removed/added or which
applications have to be stopped/started during the release upgrade.

This chapter explains that in more details:

http://learnyousomeerlang.com/relups

Greg

Re: Hot code upgrade

Ameretat Reith
On Monday, January 30, 2017 12:09:19 PM IRST, Arun wrote:
> ... is it
> mandatory that all 20 modules has to be mentioned in the
> instructions or the modules which are added or modified only
> need to be mentioned. ?

Include just changed/removed/added modules.  Remember the instruction
depends on nature of module, e.g. a library modules often just needs a load
but a gen_server most likely needs a synchronous update.

Re: Hot code upgrade

Luis Rascão-2
I know this reply is lagging a bit but still you may find it useful. If so inclined, you can try out this rebar3 plugin [1] i wrote which attempts to ease the relup burden by automating some of the steps away, any feedback/bug report is welcome!

best
Luis Rascão

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 8:39 AM, Arun <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

    I am trying to upgrade my application using rebar3 hot code upgrade feature from version 0.0.1 to 0.0.2 and my application consists of around 20 modules, the difference between current version and the new version is that one new module got added and one existing module code has been modified. My doubt is that, in the appup file we have to give list of instructions to upgrade and downgrade software between different versions, is it mandatory that all 20 modules has to be mentioned in the instructions or the modules which are added or modified only need to be mentioned. ?

Can anybody assist me on this

regards,
Arun

PGP fingerprint: F708 E141 AE8D 2D38 E1BC  DF3D 1719 3EA0 647D 7260