How to install a specific version of erlang and uninstall a previously installed version on linux

How to install a specific version of erlang and uninstall a previously installed version on linux

Abhishek Ranjan-2

Hi,

I am a beginner in erlang and probably it is quite a naive question but I am new to both erlang and linux os as well. I an using Amazon AWS linux instance. I was installing ejabberd in the linux instance through source code when I came to know that I had to install erlang first so I ran command

yum install erlang

and the system installed erlang R14B ,then I found that it was needed that i install erlang/otp 17.1 for this.

So now I am a bit confused how to uninstall previous version of erlang first and then install a specific version of erlang i.e. Erlang/OTP 17.1 on Amazon AWS linux instance.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Abhishek

Re: How to install a specific version of erlang and uninstall a previously installed version on linux

Uniaika
My advice for that would be to use Kerl → https://github.com/kerl/kerl

I use it along with Kiex (for Elixir) and it just works™.

Have a good day!

Le 02/05/2017 à 13:57, Abhishek Ranjan a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I am a beginner in erlang and probably it is quite a naive question but
> I am new to both erlang and linux os as well. I an using Amazon AWS
> linux instance. I was installing ejabberd in the linux instance through
> source code when I came to know that I had to install erlang first so I
> ran command
>
> |yum install erlang |
>
> and the system installed erlang R14B ,then I found that it was needed
> that i install erlang/otp 17.1 for this.
>
> So now I am a bit confused how to uninstall previous version of erlang
> first and then install a specific version of erlang i.e. Erlang/OTP 17.1
> on Amazon AWS linux instance.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
>
> Abhishek

Re: How to install a specific version of erlang and uninstall a previously installed version on linux

Sölvi Páll Ásgeirsson
Hi

I tend to use the Erlang Solutions RPMs.  You can find them at
https://www.erlang-solutions.com/resources/download.html

Cheers
Sölvi

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 11:57 AM, Abhishek Ranjan
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a beginner in erlang and probably it is quite a naive question but I am
> new to both erlang and linux os as well. I an using Amazon AWS linux
> instance. I was installing ejabberd in the linux instance through source
> code when I came to know that I had to install erlang first so I ran command
>
> yum install erlang
>
> and the system installed erlang R14B ,then I found that it was needed that i
> install erlang/otp 17.1 for this.
>
> So now I am a bit confused how to uninstall previous version of erlang first
> and then install a specific version of erlang i.e. Erlang/OTP 17.1 on Amazon
> AWS linux instance.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
>
> Abhishek

Re: How to install a specific version of erlang and uninstall a previously installed version on linux

Graham Hay-2
Erlang Solutions provide pre-built binaries of newer versions:

Or you can build it yourself (using e.g kerl).

Re: How to install a specific version of erlang and uninstall a previously installed version on linux

Abhishek Ranjan-2
Yes @GrahamHay already pointed that to me.
Thank you for reply anyway.
Regards
Abhishek

On May 2, 2017 at 6:44 PM "HODGSON, GARRY" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Why would you think that? They have tabs for Ubuntu, centos, osx, debian, windows, fedora, and raspbian.

Re: How to install a specific version of erlang and uninstall a previously installed version on linux

Abhishek Ranjan-2
I tried installing erlang from the packages link but it didn't worked for me somehow,then I tried installing it from source but instead of installing 6.1 Erlang/OTP 17.1 it installed erts 5.8.5 instead of 6.1.
Then I decided to install it using kerl from the link
[https://github.com/kerl/kerl](https://github.com/kerl/kerl)

but after the command : chmod a+x kerl
it is written that : drop it in your $PATH
I am not able to understand what path is it talking about. Do we also have a root path like windows, in linux also?
Can you please guide a little?