Quantcast

How to use Mnesia Database from C/C++/Java ?

How to use Mnesia Database from C/C++/Java ?

Amritpal Singh-2

Dear All,

I am completely novice to Erlang, though have been working into telecom domain for quite some time.

I have some of my applications like SMSC and others which need temporary data-storage written in C.

Till date, i have been using relational databases like ‘MySQL/Oracle’ for temporary storage purpose. Because of performance constraints i need to shift this temporary storage to some in-memory database.

From initial overview, ‘MNESIA’ seems to be perfect replacement for my scenario.

Have installed the same and tried to access the same from ‘Erlang’ , thankfully , have got the success in doing the same.

Now, my problem is , i don’t want to change the core of my application which is already encoded in ‘C’ , so need to access ‘Mnesia DB’ from ‘C’.

As per my findings, there are no ODBC drivers available for Mnesia.

So, think need to have some kind of external interface to ‘Erlang’ like ‘Erl_Interface’ which i can use from ‘C’ program to interact with ‘Mnesia DB’.

I just want to know if someone has worked on such kind of architecture ?

 If yes, can u please share your valuable experiences ?

If no, how feasible and reliable does it seem to you ?

Waiting for your valuable inputs.

Thanks and Regards,

Amritpal Singh

This message and its attachments contain confidential information and may also contain legally privileged information. This message is intended solely for the named addressee. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or authorized to receive for addressee), you may not copy or deliver any part of this message or its attachments to anyone or use any part of this message or its attachments. Rather, you should permanently delete this message and its attachments (and all copies) from your system and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail. Any content of this message and its attachments that does not relate to the official business of Cellebrum.com Pvt Ltd or its affiliates and/or subsidiaries must be taken not to have been sent or endorsed by any of them. Opinions and information in this email that do not relate to the official business of Cellebrum.com Pvt Ltd, shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by Cellebrum.com Pvt Ltd. Any action/proceeding/opportunity upon the contents of this email taken by not intended addressee shall attract liabilities both criminal and civil against such addressee.

Email communications are not private and no warranty is made that e-mail communications are timely, secure or free from computer virus or other defect.

Re: How to use Mnesia Database from C/C++/Java ?

Michael Gebetsroither
* Amritpal Singh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Now, my problem is , i don't want to change the core of my application whic=
> h is already encoded in 'C' , so need to access 'Mnesia DB' from 'C'.
> As per my findings, there are no ODBC drivers available for Mnesia.
> So, think need to have some kind of external interface to 'Erlang' like 'Er=
> l_Interface' which i can use from 'C' program to interact with 'Mnesia DB'.

If you have used sql before to store your temporary data, whats about
sqlite? Just open an sqlite db with name ":memory:" and it creates an
complete in-memory db easily accessible from your c program.

cu,
michael
--
It's already too late!

Re: How to use Mnesia Database from C/C++/Java ?

Søren Hilmer-2
There is/used to be, something called Mnesia Session for doing exactly this.

I do not however see the documentation for it in the latest release, tehre
is something here
http://www.erlang.org/documentation/doc-5.0.1/lib/mnesia_session-1.1.3/doc/html/part_frame.html

But if that is the latest I am not sure.

--Søren
--
Søren Hilmer, M.Sc., M.Crypt.
wideTrail            Phone: +45 25481225

On Mon, January 21, 2008 08:52, Amritpal Singh wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am completely novice to Erlang, though have been working into telecom
> domain for quite some time.
> I have some of my applications like SMSC and others which need temporary
> data-storage written in C.
> Till date, i have been using relational databases like 'MySQL/Oracle' for
> temporary storage purpose. Because of performance constraints i need to
> shift this temporary storage to some in-memory database.
>>From initial overview, 'MNESIA' seems to be perfect replacement for my
>> scenario.
> Have installed the same and tried to access the same from 'Erlang' ,
> thankfully , have got the success in doing the same.
>
> Now, my problem is , i don't want to change the core of my application
> which is already encoded in 'C' , so need to access 'Mnesia DB' from 'C'.
> As per my findings, there are no ODBC drivers available for Mnesia.
> So, think need to have some kind of external interface to 'Erlang' like
> 'Erl_Interface' which i can use from 'C' program to interact with 'Mnesia
> DB'.
>
> I just want to know if someone has worked on such kind of architecture ?
>  If yes, can u please share your valuable experiences ?
> If no, how feasible and reliable does it seem to you ?
>
> Waiting for your valuable inputs.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Amritpal Singh
>
> ________________________________
> This message and its attachments contain confidential information and may
> also contain legally privileged information. This message is intended
> solely for the named addressee. If you are not the addressee indicated in
> this message (or authorized to receive for addressee), you may not copy or
> deliver any part of this message or its attachments to anyone or use any
> part of this message or its attachments. Rather, you should permanently
> and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail. Any content of this message
> and its attachments that does not relate to the official business of
> Cellebrum.com Pvt Ltd or its affiliates and/or subsidiaries must be taken
> not to have been sent or endorsed by any of them. Opinions and information
> in this email that do not relate to the official business of Cellebrum.com
> Pvt Ltd, shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by
> Cellebrum.com Pvt Ltd. Any action/proceeding/opportunity upon the contents
> of this email taken by not intended addressee shall attract liabilities
> both criminal and civil against such addressee.
>
> Email communications are not private and no warranty is made that e-mail
> communications are timely, secure or free from computer virus or other
> defect.

Re: How to use Mnesia Database from C/C++/Java ?

Scott Lystig Fritchie
Søren Hilmer <[hidden email]> wrote:

sh> There is/used to be, something called Mnesia Session for doing
sh> exactly this.

I think it's been deprecated.

The bad news Amritpal will have to implement an interface from scrach.
The good news is that it isn't difficult, and there are plenty of
protocols to choose from.  Mnesia Session used CORBA, which I wouldn't
recommend.  You could do also the same structured-data things as the old
Mnesia Session CORBA via the Sun RPC library that's in Jungerl.

Using a simple/RESTful GET/POST/DELETE interface using HTTP is quite
simple.  Using SOAP wouldn't be much harder, though why you'd want to
get XML involved is an excellent question.  Also, I've seen least one
"memcached" server implementation in Erlang (I forget the author's name
but not the language: Japanese).

Even easier would be to have your C code use the Erlang term format (see
http://www.erlang.org/doc/apps/erl_interface/part_erl_interface_frame.html).
At my current employer, the whole Erlang "thing" was new enough that the
client team didn't want to use an Erlang-specific wire format, in the
event the Erlang experiment failed.  So we rolled our own little text,
TCP-based protocol.  {shrug}

I don't know if this list posting contains anything new, but if it's
helpful, great.  http://www.nabble.com/Mnesia-td10106072.html

-Scott

Re: How to use Mnesia Database from C/C++/Java ?

Ludovic Coquelle

On Jan 21, 2008 5:55 PM, Michael Gebetsroither <[hidden email]> wrote:
* Amritpal Singh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Now, my problem is , i don't want to change the core of my application whic=
> h is already encoded in 'C' , so need to access 'Mnesia DB' from 'C'.
> As per my findings, there are no ODBC drivers available for Mnesia.
> So, think need to have some kind of external interface to 'Erlang' like 'Er=
> l_Interface' which i can use from 'C' program to interact with 'Mnesia DB'.

If you have used sql before to store your temporary data, whats about
sqlite? Just open an sqlite db with name ":memory:" and it creates an
complete in-memory db easily accessible from your c program.

Indeed SQLite usage would be very close to MySQL.
Also BerkeleyDB storage (or memcacheddb) would be very close to mnesia (I have no clue at all on BDB distribution capabilities).

Could someone explain where a C binding to Mnesia is really different? is it in for distribution aspect?

thanks
ludo

cu,
michael
--
It's already too late!

Re: How to use Mnesia Database from C/C++/Java ?

Niclas Eklund

Hello!

Yes, Mnesia Session is no longer supported (R12B). Since Mnesia Session
was based on dirty operations, you're better of defining an API that maps
to the data model. A step by step example you can find here:

http://www.erlang.org/doc/apps/orber/ch_idl_to_erlang_mapping.html#6

Or you can use Jinterface and/or Erl_interface, but CORBA makes it easy to
hook in another backend due to the number of available language bindings:

http://www.puder.org/corba/matrix/

As mentioned there are more alternatives (HTTP, SNMP etc), which is why
it's hard to tell which solution would be the best choice for you.

/Niclas

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, Scott Lystig Fritchie wrote:

> Søren Hilmer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> sh> There is/used to be, something called Mnesia Session for doing
> sh> exactly this.
>
> I think it's been deprecated.
>
> The bad news Amritpal will have to implement an interface from scrach.
> The good news is that it isn't difficult, and there are plenty of
> protocols to choose from.  Mnesia Session used CORBA, which I wouldn't
> recommend.  You could do also the same structured-data things as the old
> Mnesia Session CORBA via the Sun RPC library that's in Jungerl.
>
> Using a simple/RESTful GET/POST/DELETE interface using HTTP is quite
> simple.  Using SOAP wouldn't be much harder, though why you'd want to
> get XML involved is an excellent question.  Also, I've seen least one
> "memcached" server implementation in Erlang (I forget the author's name
> but not the language: Japanese).
>
> Even easier would be to have your C code use the Erlang term format (see
> http://www.erlang.org/doc/apps/erl_interface/part_erl_interface_frame.html).
> At my current employer, the whole Erlang "thing" was new enough that the
> client team didn't want to use an Erlang-specific wire format, in the
> event the Erlang experiment failed.  So we rolled our own little text,
> TCP-based protocol.  {shrug}
>
> I don't know if this list posting contains anything new, but if it's
> helpful, great.  http://www.nabble.com/Mnesia-td10106072.html
>
> -Scott

Re: How to use Mnesia Database from C/C++/Java ?

Amritpal Singh-2
Dear All,

Thanks a lot for sharing your valuable inputs, would decide on this further
and discuss with you all.

Regards,
Amritpal Singh

> [...]

Email communications are not private and no warranty is made that e-mail communications are timely, secure or free from computer virus or other defect.

Re: How to use Mnesia Database from C/C++/Java ?

Kiran Subbaraman-2
Amritpal Singh wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am completely novice to Erlang, though have been working into
> telecom domain for quite some time.
>
> I have some of my applications like SMSC and others which need
> temporary data-storage written in C.
>
> Till date, i have been using relational databases like ‘MySQL/Oracle’
> for temporary storage purpose. Because of performance constraints i
> need to shift this temporary storage to some in-memory database.
>
> From initial overview, ‘MNESIA’ seems to be perfect replacement for my
> scenario.
>
> Have installed the same and tried to access the same from ‘Erlang’ ,
> thankfully , have got the success in doing the same.
>
> Now, my problem is , i don’t want to change the core of my application
> which is already encoded in ‘C’ , so need to access ‘Mnesia DB’ from ‘C’.
>
> As per my findings, there are no ODBC drivers available for Mnesia.
>
> So, think need to have some kind of external interface to ‘Erlang’
> like ‘Erl_Interface’ which i can use from ‘C’ program to interact with
> ‘Mnesia DB’.
>
> I just want to know if someone has worked on such kind of architecture ?
>
> If yes, can u please share your valuable experiences ?
>
> If no, how feasible and reliable does it seem to you ?
>
> Waiting for your valuable inputs.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
>
> Amritpal Singh

> This message and its attachments contain confidential information and
> may also contain legally privileged information. This message is
> intended solely for the named addressee. If you are not the addressee
> indicated in this message (or authorized to receive for addressee),
> you may not copy or deliver any part of this message or its
> attachments to anyone or use any part of this message or its
> attachments. Rather, you should permanently delete this message and
> its attachments (and all copies) from your system and kindly notify
> the sender by reply e-mail. Any content of this message and its
> attachments that does not relate to the official business of
> Cellebrum.com Pvt Ltd or its affiliates and/or subsidiaries must be
> taken not to have been sent or endorsed by any of them. Opinions and
> information in this email that do not relate to the official business
> of Cellebrum.com Pvt Ltd, shall be understood as neither given nor
> endorsed by Cellebrum.com Pvt Ltd. Any action/proceeding/opportunity
> upon the contents of this email taken by not intended addressee shall
> attract liabilities both criminal and civil against such addressee.
>
> Email communications are not private and no warranty is made that
> e-mail communications are timely, secure or free from computer virus
> or other defect.
Amritpal,
Have you had a chance to look at couchdb -
http://incubator.apache.org/couchdb
It should work with any language, primarily because it has a ReST interface.
Maybe this could help?
Kiran

Re: How to use Mnesia Database from C/C++/Java ?

Hynek Vychodil
I can't found mnesia_session in R12B documentation. Is it obsoleted?

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 9:57 AM, Kiran Subbaraman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Amritpal Singh wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am completely novice to Erlang, though have been working into
> telecom domain for quite some time.
>
> I have some of my applications like SMSC and others which need
> temporary data-storage written in C.
>
> Till date, i have been using relational databases like 'MySQL/Oracle'
> for temporary storage purpose. Because of performance constraints i
> need to shift this temporary storage to some in-memory database.
>
> From initial overview, 'MNESIA' seems to be perfect replacement for my
> scenario.
>
> Have installed the same and tried to access the same from 'Erlang' ,
> thankfully , have got the success in doing the same.
>
> Now, my problem is , i don't want to change the core of my application
> which is already encoded in 'C' , so need to access 'Mnesia DB' from 'C'.
>
> As per my findings, there are no ODBC drivers available for Mnesia.
>
> So, think need to have some kind of external interface to 'Erlang'
> like 'Erl_Interface' which i can use from 'C' program to interact with
> 'Mnesia DB'.
>
> I just want to know if someone has worked on such kind of architecture ?
>
> If yes, can u please share your valuable experiences ?
>
> If no, how feasible and reliable does it seem to you ?
>
> Waiting for your valuable inputs.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
>
> Amritpal Singh

> This message and its attachments contain confidential information and
> may also contain legally privileged information. This message is
> intended solely for the named addressee. If you are not the addressee
> indicated in this message (or authorized to receive for addressee),
> you may not copy or deliver any part of this message or its
> attachments to anyone or use any part of this message or its
> attachments. Rather, you should permanently delete this message and
> its attachments (and all copies) from your system and kindly notify
> the sender by reply e-mail. Any content of this message and its
> attachments that does not relate to the official business of
> Cellebrum.com Pvt Ltd or its affiliates and/or subsidiaries must be
> taken not to have been sent or endorsed by any of them. Opinions and
> information in this email that do not relate to the official business
> of Cellebrum.com Pvt Ltd, shall be understood as neither given nor
> endorsed by Cellebrum.com Pvt Ltd. Any action/proceeding/opportunity
> upon the contents of this email taken by not intended addressee shall
> attract liabilities both criminal and civil against such addressee.
>
> Email communications are not private and no warranty is made that
> e-mail communications are timely, secure or free from computer virus
> or other defect.
Amritpal,
Have you had a chance to look at couchdb -
http://incubator.apache.org/couchdb
It should work with any language, primarily because it has a ReST interface.
Maybe this could help?
Kiran

--Hynek (Pichi) Vychodil

Re: How to use Mnesia Database from C/C++/Java ?

orbitz
It was removed in the latest release, wasn't it?

On Mar 27, 2008, at 6:04 AM, Hynek Vychodil wrote:

> [...]
> > of Cellebrum.com Pvt Ltd, shall be understood as neither given nor
> > endorsed by Cellebrum.com Pvt Ltd. Any action/proceeding/opportunity
> > upon the contents of this email taken by not intended addressee
> shall
> > attract liabilities both criminal and civil against such addressee.
> >
> > Email communications are not private and no warranty is made that
> > e-mail communications are timely, secure or free from computer virus
> > or other defect.

> Amritpal,
> Have you had a chance to look at couchdb -
> http://incubator.apache.org/couchdb
> It should work with any language, primarily because it has a ReST
> interface.
> Maybe this could help?
> Kiran

> --Hynek (Pichi) Vychodil

Re: How to use Mnesia Database from C/C++/Java ?

looks like

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 6:10 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> > taken not to have been sent or endorsed by any of them. Opinions and
> > information in this email that do not relate to the official
> business
> > of Cellebrum.com Pvt Ltd, shall be understood as neither given nor
> > endorsed by Cellebrum.com Pvt Ltd. Any action/proceeding/opportunity
> > upon the contents of this email taken by not intended addressee
> shall
> > attract liabilities both criminal and civil against such addressee.
> >
> > Email communications are not private and no warranty is made that
> > e-mail communications are timely, secure or free from computer virus
> > or other defect.

> Amritpal,
> Have you had a chance to look at couchdb -
> http://incubator.apache.org/couchdb
> It should work with any language, primarily because it has a ReST

--Hynek (Pichi) Vychodil

Re: How to use Mnesia Database from C/C++/Java ?

ayman abolfadl
Hi,

yes the last version of it was on R11-B5.

Regards,

Ayman Abolfadl

--Hynek (Pichi) Vychodil _______________________________________________

Re: How to use Mnesia Database from C/C++/Java ?

orbitz
Was it replaced by something else?

On Mar 27, 2008, at 2:17 PM, ayman abolfadl wrote:

> [...]
> > > upon the contents of this email taken by not intended addressee
> > shall
> > > attract liabilities both criminal and civil against such
> addressee.
> > >
> > > Email communications are not private and no warranty is made that
> > > e-mail communications are timely, secure or free from computer
> virus
> > > or other defect.

> > Amritpal,
> > Have you had a chance to look at couchdb -
> > http://incubator.apache.org/couchdb
> > It should work with any language, primarily because it has a ReST
> > interface.
> > Maybe this could help?
> > Kiran

> > --
> > --Hynek (Pichi) Vychodil

> --Hynek (Pichi) Vychodil

Re: How to use Mnesia Database from C/C++/Java ?

Dan Gudmundsson
Mnesia session was only good as an example of how to write a corba/ei/java interface to
mnesia, to get a good interface/api you would need to write your own tailor made one
anyway (application and data specific), so we decided to remove some of the dead meat in
erlang/OTP.

You can still compile and maintain it for R12 and it should work.

/Dan

[hidden email] wrote:

> Was it replaced by something else?
>
> On Mar 27, 2008, at 2:17 PM, ayman abolfadl wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> yes the last version of it was on R11-B5.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Ayman Abolfadl
>>
>> Hynek Vychodil <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> looks like
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 6:10 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It was removed in the latest release, wasn't it?
>>
>> On Mar 27, 2008, at 6:04 AM, Hynek Vychodil wrote:
>>> I can't found mnesia_session in R12B documentation. Is it obsoleted?
>>>
>>> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 9:57 AM, Kiran Subbaraman
>>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Oracle'
>> constraints i

>>> for my

>> 'Erlang' ,

>>> application
>>> from 'C'.
>> Mnesia.
>>> with

>>> architecture ?

>>> --
>>> and
>>> addressee
>> addressee),
>> and
>> notify
>> must be
>> Opinions and
>>> business
>> opportunity
>>> shall
>> addressee.
>> virus

>>> Amritpal,
>>> Have you had a chance to look at couchdb -
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/couchdb
>>> It should work with any language, primarily because it has a ReST
>>> interface.
>>> Maybe this could help?
>>> Kiran

>>> --
>>> --Hynek (Pichi) Vychodil
>>

>> --
>> --Hynek (Pichi) Vychodil

Re: How to use Mnesia Database from C/C++/Java ?

Ashish Sharma
or if you need something in memory try sqlite

On 3/27/08, Kiran Subbaraman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > information in this email that do not relate to the official business
> > of Cellebrum.com Pvt Ltd, shall be understood as neither given nor
> > endorsed by Cellebrum.com Pvt Ltd. Any action/proceeding/opportunity
> > upon the contents of this email taken by not intended addressee shall
> > attract liabilities both criminal and civil against such addressee.
> >
> > Email communications are not private and no warranty is made that
> > e-mail communications are timely, secure or free from computer virus
> > or other defect.
> Amritpal,
> Have you had a chance to look at couchdb -
> http://incubator.apache.org/couchdb
> It should work with any language, primarily because it has a ReST interface.
> Maybe this could help?
> Kiran

How to use Mnesia Database from C/C++/Java ?

rameshrai-2
Basically a SMSC has many hardware and its associated software modules. An
advanced smsc has for example database modules, operation and maintenance
modules, smpp agent modules, sm query modules, charging modules each being
run by software/application. You can check out one of the example of such
http://blog.ektel.com.np/2011/12/short-message-service-center-smsc/ smsc
architecture  to learn more in details.

See here:
http://blog.ektel.com.np/2011/12/short-message-service-center-smsc/ SMSC