I have trouble with R14B/wx/Windows XP

Pascal Chapier

Hi list,

I have trouble with the R14B release under Windows XP.
It seems that the wx library does not work properly on my PC.

I installed the R14B on my PC, in addition to the R14A which I use by default.

If I launch werl from the erl5.8.1\bin directory, and try to launch an application which use wx, it crashes
without any log or valuable information:

werl session:
Erlang R14B (erts-5.8.1) [smp:2:2] [rq:2] [async-threads:0]

Execution des cmds erlang from "D:\documents and Settings\PChapier\.erlang
"Nom de la machine: "WXFR88952L", cookie nocookie
Eshell V5.8.1  (abort with ^G)
1> debugger:start().

crash message (translated from french):
werl.exe - Application error
The instruction at "0x7C911980" uses the address memory location "0x00000000". The memory cannot be read.

The crash happens as soon as the wx:new() function is called (I made the call directly
from the shell to check it).
I changed the windows path to use the R14B by default: same behaviour.
A very strange thing is that it has worked properly once with debbugger:start(),
and once with wx:new() within more than 20 trials; but as soon as I stopped wx, I got a crash at the next call
to wx:new/0.

I have tried also the toolbar, tv,appmon... and some application without graphic or using gs:
no problem except toolbar->debugger.

It is ok with R14A.

Any idea?

BR

Pascal.

Re: I have trouble with R14B/wx/Windows XP

Fred Hebert (MononcQc)
Have you tried it with erl.exe instead? There are problems documented with
werl.exe and stuff that requires GUIs, as far as I know. The erl.exe shell
is supposed to be alright.

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Pascal Chapier
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I have trouble with the R14B release under Windows XP.
> It seems that the wx library does not work properly on my PC.
>
> I installed the R14B on my PC, in addition to the R14A which I use by
> default.
>
> If I launch werl from the erl5.8.1\bin directory, and try to launch an
> application which use wx, it crashes
> without any log or valuable information:
>
> werl session:
> Erlang R14B (erts-5.8.1) [smp:2:2] [rq:2] [async-threads:0]
>
> Execution des cmds erlang from "D:\documents and Settings\PChapier\.erlang
> "Nom de la machine: "WXFR88952L", cookie nocookie
> Eshell V5.8.1  (abort with ^G)
> 1> debugger:start().
>
> crash message (translated from french):
> werl.exe - Application error
> The instruction at "0x7C911980" uses the address memory location
> "0x00000000". The memory cannot be read.
>
> The crash happens as soon as the wx:new() function is called (I made the
> call directly
> from the shell to check it).
> I changed the windows path to use the R14B by default: same behaviour.
> A very strange thing is that it has worked properly once with
> debbugger:start(),
> and once with wx:new() within more than 20 trials; but as soon as I stopped
> wx, I got a crash at the next call
> to wx:new/0.
>
> I have tried also the toolbar, tv,appmon... and some application without
> graphic or using gs:
> no problem except toolbar->debugger.
>
> It is ok with R14A.
>
> Any idea?
>
> BR
>
> Pascal.

Re: I have trouble with R14B/wx/Windows XP

Dan Gudmundsson-2
Actually it's the other way around, werl should work, and erl have problems.
It seems wxWidgets and erlang fights over stdio or something, we
havn't been able to
find the real issue.

werl -detached works if you don't want a shell at all example:
werl -detached -run wx demo

/Dan

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Fred Hebert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Have you tried it with erl.exe instead? There are problems documented with
> werl.exe and stuff that requires GUIs, as far as I know. The erl.exe shell
> is supposed to be alright.
>
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Pascal Chapier
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>

>> Hi list,
>>
>> I have trouble with the R14B release under Windows XP.
>> It seems that the wx library does not work properly on my PC.
>>
>> I installed the R14B on my PC, in addition to the R14A which I use by
>> default.
>>
>> If I launch werl from the erl5.8.1\bin directory, and try to launch an
>> application which use wx, it crashes
>> without any log or valuable information:
>>
>> werl session:
>> Erlang R14B (erts-5.8.1) [smp:2:2] [rq:2] [async-threads:0]
>>
>> Execution des cmds erlang from "D:\documents and Settings\PChapier\.erlang
>> "Nom de la machine: "WXFR88952L", cookie nocookie
>> Eshell V5.8.1  (abort with ^G)
>> 1> debugger:start().
>>
>> crash message (translated from french):
>> werl.exe - Application error
>> The instruction at "0x7C911980" uses the address memory location
>> "0x00000000". The memory cannot be read.
>>
>> The crash happens as soon as the wx:new() function is called (I made the
>> call directly
>> from the shell to check it).
>> I changed the windows path to use the R14B by default: same behaviour.
>> A very strange thing is that it has worked properly once with
>> debbugger:start(),
>> and once with wx:new() within more than 20 trials; but as soon as I stopped
>> wx, I got a crash at the next call
>> to wx:new/0.
>>
>> I have tried also the toolbar, tv,appmon... and some application without
>> graphic or using gs:
>> no problem except toolbar->debugger.
>>
>> It is ok with R14A.
>>
>> Any idea?
>>
>> BR
>>
>> Pascal.

Re: I have trouble with R14B/wx/Windows XP

Pascal Chapier

Thank you Dan,

it works with -detached option.

it also works with "werl -detached -run my_module start -run debugger start", so it is possible to debug my program. Maybe if I create a my_module.tool file, I will be able to start the debugger before the application.

BR.

Pascal.

Re: I have trouble with R14B/wx/Windows XP

Dan Gudmundsson-2
:-)

That part was not a suggestion to you, it was an example of how to
write a gui application
without starting werl shell.

Anyone else have wx issue's on windows?

Any windows programmers out there who can help with debugging?

/Dan