IPv6 problems in erlang's SNMP stack

Stefan Zegenhagen
Dear all,

First problem: I found no easy way to pass the "inet6" socket option
into erlang's snmpa_net_if implementation to open the UDP socket in IPv6
mode. Such an option would be required to convince erlang's SNMP stack
to talk IPv6.

Second problem: when a socket is opened in IPv6 mode on real dual-stack
operating systems, it is possible to query the SNMP agent via IPv4 *AND*
IPv6 simultaneously. Sending traps to IPv6 trap receivers works as well,
but trap receivers that are configured with IPv4 addresses always fail
with an eafnosupport error. SNMP-TARGET-MIB explicitly allows trap
receivers to have different IP address types, so I would expect such a
feature to be supported.

I know that it is possible (the Linux kernel sends out IPv6 packets
addressed to "::FFFF:A.B.C.D" via IPv4). I also know that there is a
portability problem, since operating systems may behave differently when
it comes to dual-stack operation details (its probably best being fixed
in the socket driver). Still, this is an important issue for us at the
moment and I guess others will face the same problem when IPv6 spreads
wider.

Kind regards,

--
Dr. Stefan Zegenhagen

arcutronix GmbH
Garbsener Landstr. 10
30419 Hannover
Germany

Tel:   +49 511 277-2734
Fax:   +49 511 277-2709
Email: stefan.zegenhagen
Web:   www.arcutronix.com

*Synchronize the Ethernet*

General Managers: Dipl. Ing. Juergen Schroeder, Dr. Josef Gfrerer -
Legal Form: GmbH, Registered office: Hannover, HRB 202442, Amtsgericht
Hannover; Ust-Id: DE257551767.

Re: IPv6 problems in erlang's SNMP stack

Raimo Niskanen-6
I just would like to inform you all that in the upcoming 17.2
OTP patch release we are starting to fix snmp for IPv6.  The
agent should be able to handle IPv4+IPv6, but the manager
just IPv4 or IPv6.

The documentation is not updated, though...  And the code
for creating configurations is not fully updated.

Dual stack manager is in the pipeline.  The new code is supposed
to be backwards compatible unless you have written a custom
net_if process.  And of course there might be bugs.

Best regards
/ Raimo Niskanen