IntelliJ, erlang-plugin and disappearing edits

IntelliJ, erlang-plugin and disappearing edits

Bjarne Wichmann Bagge Petersen
Hi

I have a really annoying problem - I make edits to files and they disappear.

It doesn't happen often - but it does happen. Usually I just log it under "I probably just thought I'd make the edit but never really did - I'm getting old".

Today, though, I was certain and looked into the history of the file I edited (IntelliJ have a local history). It *did* show that I made the edits... and then 4 minutes later the file have been reverted to its previous state (no indication of edits).

I suspect `_build` and how IntelliJ handles it. Ie. contents from _build is being written back to the sources.

I can mark `_build` as `excluded`, but that kills autocomplete. I don't want that.

I really don't know where the problem lies (me, IntelliJ or erlang-plugin) - any tips from IntelliJ users would be welcome.

Best regards

Bjarne Wichmann Bagge Petersen

Backend Developer, ShopGun

A: Arne Jacobsens Allé 16, Field's, 3rd floor, DK-2300 København S, Denmark

ShopGun is people's shopping planner app that lets them pull the trigger on local deals, saving people money & making their everyday lives easier.

Re: IntelliJ, erlang-plugin and disappearing edits

Dmytro Lytovchenko
'_build' creates links to your source directories, which makes duplicate search results and some of your files when you jump to files and locations, may open from that duplicate directory. Then you open it manually from its original location and voila, now you have two conflicting tabs with same open file.

Don't mark whole '_build' as excluded, instead mark clones of your OWN applications inside _build/lib/*/ as excluded. Keep the dependency libraries included for autocomplete to work.

[...]

A: Arne Jacobsens Allé 16, Field's, 3rd floor, DK-2300 København S, Denmark

ShopGun is people's shopping planner app that lets them pull the trigger on local deals, saving people money & making their everyday lives easier.

Re: IntelliJ, erlang-plugin and disappearing edits

Bjarne Wichmann Bagge Petersen
Thx

I've been burned hard by that exact scenario - but this time I am pretty certain that wasn't it (I don't have the `_build` version open in tab).

But I will try the selective exclude and see how it goes. Thx.

Best regards

Bjarne Wichmann Bagge Petersen

Backend Developer, ShopGun

A: Arne Jacobsens Allé 16, Field's, 3rd floor, DK-2300 København S, Denmark

[...]