Libsodium bindings

Technion

Hi,

Google points me to at least four different libraries offering libsodium bindings - of different apparent levels of maintenance.

Has anyone got any experience with what would be the most reasonably written and maintained Erlang libsodium library for cryptography?

Re: Libsodium bindings

Krzysztof Jurewicz
> Has anyone got any experience with what would be the most reasonably written and maintained Erlang libsodium library for cryptography?

In Ercoin I’ve used https://github.com/potatosalad/erlang-libsodium.git, perhaps because it seemed to be the simplest one to use and least problematic for this particular (non-complex) application. Generally it looks like https://github.com/jlouis/enacl.git is the most maintained binding.

Re: Libsodium bindings

Jesper Louis Andersen-2
Hi,

jlouis/enacl is definitely maintained. It is just that there is not much to do with the functionality in there because most of the base functionality is present and I'll just have to add a couple of functions as people request them.

The strength of enacl, at least compared to other solutions, is that it contains a QuickCheck model for testing it does the right thing. Due to work by Irina Guberman and Zane Beckwith (both working at Xaptum), this model can also be run with QuickCheck mini. This was used to verify that the code also worked on the MIPS architecture, and it can be used for other embedded device work.

Enacl uses dirty schedulers, but doesn't do so for very small quick calls under a threshold, where the move to/from the dirty scheduler is too expensive. There is a blog post on the subject [0] where the basic idea is this: Once the overhead of moving to a dirty scheduler is less than 5-10% of the runtime, we just move the work to the DS. By experimenting with dtrace, we can find that threshold point.

[0] https://medium.com/@jlouis666/erlang-dirty-scheduler-overhead-6e1219dcc7